The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brooklyn 2 - Oct 19th - Barclays Center
PostPosted: Mon October 21, 2013 12:36 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

theplatypus wrote:
but donuts cake and bacon eat

that's my favorite part

accepting alternative suggestions for rhymes with "but no one's ever taken me"

using themes: ugly, fat, at every show, boring

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Mon October 21, 2013 12:37 am 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Noaheb wrote:
It sounded like they turned the volume up during certain parts of songs and it was just louder than usual all together...or was that just me or maybe being on the floor...did they lack spontaneity?
It felt like allot of it was choreographed so to speak like opening with Pendulum again and swinging on the light...something felt off to me but that very well could have been me and the frame of mind I was in due to circumstances outside of my control...It seemed like it should hav been up there with msg II 98/hartford 08/msg II 2010 but I felt old (I kinda am but not much older than 3 years ago) and I like this album. Just throwin this out there cuz I hav no one else to ask or tell this to who would care or know

I didn't get that vibe at all. I think the band rolled up their sleeves and went to work with a long, sturdy shift...and no fuckin' union breaks.

PostPosted: Mon October 21, 2013 12:56 am 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Of all the new songs they played last night... I thought LB sounded the best. The extended jam at the end was an early highlight of the show for me. Also, I think I appreciate the fadeout on the album even more now because it creates a nice contrast between the studio and live version. On every boot now I'll be looking forward to hearing the extended version of LB, whereas if we had that on the album it wouldn't be something to look forward to.

I thought Sirens and Infallible both sounded really good but, at least where I was standing, they seemed to suffer from the "hey I don't recognize this song so let's stand here like a bunch of turds and have a loud annoying conversation" syndrome. I'm holding out hope that they both will work in the long run because they should be future set list staples.

Other highlights (some if which I'm sure I already mentioned):
Pendulum > Wash > Nothingman
Last Exit > Hail, Hail > In Hiding
Present Tense
Unthought Known (I'm not a big fan of this but I realized last night that this song can be pretty powerful in a live setting - even if I haven't heard too many bootleg versions I like)
Immortality > SOLAT > Once
(Middle-aged crowd surfer during ATY :lol: )
"First was yesterday's... That was future days.. It's evolution baby"
DTE > Go > Porch
Whipping > Blood
(Stone's badass solo during RITFW! He knew it was badass too because he just had this awesome smile on his face at the end! :) )

PostPosted: Mon October 21, 2013 2:14 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

YES - stone's solo during RITFW was beast.

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Mon October 21, 2013 2:33 am 
Future Drummer

I'm actually not that fond of nothingman so early in the first set. The crowd is not ready it yet.

PostPosted: Mon October 21, 2013 10:05 am 
Future Drummer

Noaheb wrote:
It sounded like they turned the volume up during certain parts of songs and it was just louder than usual all together...or was that just me or maybe being on the floor...did they lack spontaneity?
It felt like allot of it was choreographed so to speak like opening with Pendulum again and swinging on the light...something felt off to me but that very well could have been me and the frame of mind I was in due to circumstances outside of my control...It seemed like it should hav been up there with msg II 98/hartford 08/msg II 2010 but I felt old (I kinda am but not much older than 3 years ago) and I like this album. Just throwin this out there cuz I hav no one else to ask or tell this to who would care or know

I dunno about choreographed but I'm pretty sure the deciding factor in using those lights was that ed can climb on them. :lol: And yeah I think its got extra rigging for safety or whatever. Its pretty stupid but whatcha gonna do. I can't help seeing an accident in the future "Eddie Vedder falls off $10,000 climbing lamp, breaks face"

I like the way they've arranged the sets and whatever, with a sit down set in the middle, reminds me of the red rocks shows. I feel like if any interesting shitbis gonna go down, that's when its gonna happen. Now they just need to bring back slow Jeremy.

PostPosted: Mon October 21, 2013 10:24 am 
The worst

broken iris wrote:
I'm actually not that fond of nothingman so early in the first set. The crowd is not ready it yet.

I can see this. It might be more effective if the two prior songs were sing alongs. Pendulum is too new, and wash is just a tiny bit too obscure.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon October 21, 2013 11:28 am 
10Club Complaint Department

They performed Sirens pretty well here, by the sounds of it.

PostPosted: Mon October 21, 2013 12:49 pm 
A Return To Form

Was it just me, but did Ed sound a lot less raspy and out of breath?

Maybe he did throw those smokes away..(like he sang in down)

PostPosted: Mon October 21, 2013 12:50 pm 
Future Drummer

JimX6 wrote:
Maybe he did throw those smokes away..(like he sang in down)

Lung Brush?

I did not see him smoking on stage over the last week, so unless he is sucking them down during the break someone may have clued him in to the effects of smoking on an arena rock band's lead singer.

PostPosted: Mon October 21, 2013 1:11 pm 
Broken Tamborine

This show was amazing! Reminded me a lot in energy terms of the 2010 MSG show. A lot of fun! Ed time warped to 1998, solid as usual. It was an intense experience, anyone who was there knows. The crowd was the 14005 member. Ed was intense as hell in performance terms, his vocals were big, round and powerful in a mystical way. Felt like we were hanging with friends and watching them do what they do, personable, human, funny night.

I could only get tickets in seperate sections, one on floor and one upper deck. We walked right by security and I stood with my girl the entire show, the people in our row I thank you for being so drunk and unaware. :D

PostPosted: Mon October 21, 2013 2:40 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

I didn't notice either night but both sets were over 30 sings each. My pal complained that it felt too long. (He was at home not at the show). It felt perfecto me and it was encouraging they could to that long and still have Ed sounding great. He sounded better night one but not my much.

PostPosted: Mon October 21, 2013 3:40 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Just watched a spotty vid of Immortality from this show. Even with the poor quality, you can hear how well the band nailed this. Love Mike's solo in it. Lots of space in this song.

Post subject: Re: Brooklyn 2
PostPosted: Mon October 21, 2013 4:05 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
stip wrote:
I didn't really hear Dime's issue's with infallbile. At least in terms of quality. Eddie wasn't hitting those super high notes though. He sang all of the choruses in the same key as the first one. I thought people were into it, although maybe that was just me. It was hardly a song-redefining version, but it was still good.

MYM was the weakest of the new songs. I think the speed/intensity of it will be hard for eddie live unless he's really concentrating. The crowd ate up the MIND YOUR MANNERS part. There wasn't interaction on the outro, and the band was setting it up only singing every other lyric 'go to heaven.....how you like your....'

the guitars had some serious bite to them in that song though. It sounded much closer to mike's vingette than the studio

Yeah Infallible was GREAT, I thought. It sounded amazing. Ed nailed it. And the crowd in my section were into that one more than any other new track. Most of the people around me didn't seem to know much of the new album, but people were rocking out to that one. High energy all around me.

However, when they Ed announced Future Days there were multiple groans. "That was Yesterdays, this is Future Days," "Aaaah" "Yuck" "Maaaaaaan...." :lol:

It was a little hilarious. But I thought FD sounded great. Ed delivered. But it did kill some of the energy in my section. It was the only time I felt that dip the entire show.

what was your take on All Those Yesterdays? I thought it fell a little flat with the crowd, based on what I was expecting, Future Days hangover, maybe?

That's probably true (that it fell a bit flat with the crowd), but I was too excited to pay much attention. I was THRILLED to hear it. I was pumped. Some of the folks around me were sitting down and chilling during the song. So, yeah, it probably fell flat over all. But I was too jazzed to notice/mind.

PostPosted: Mon October 21, 2013 4:10 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

bluestate wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Bummed I didn't get to meet anyone.

What's funny is that right next to me there was this guy who looked just like your avatar and I thought "I wonder if that's dct?" He was jumping around and singing at the top of his lungs to every song and I thought "I have to talk to this guy". But when they started playing Sirens he just stood there looking bored and he never regained his initial enthusiasm. Then I realized "Nope, no way is that dct. Just some stupid hipster". :haha:

:lol:

Hilarious. Yeah, I was singing at the top of my lungs the whole time. Even during Sirens. Truth be told, I teared up a bit during the song. It sounded gorgeous.

But I did think it was funny that they played Sirens into Even Flow. I just keep thinking, 'for some people this is going to be the longest piss break in the world.'

PostPosted: Mon October 21, 2013 4:11 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
Did anyone else think when they started yellow moon that it was actually lowlight?
It's like they ripped the intro

:wave:

PostPosted: Mon October 21, 2013 4:13 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
bluestate wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

What's funny is that right next to me there was this guy who looked just like your avatar and I thought "I wonder if that's dct?" He was jumping around and singing at the top of his lungs to every song and I thought "I have to talk to this guy". But when they started playing Sirens he just stood there looking bored and he never regained his initial enthusiasm. Then I realized "Nope, no way is that dct. Just some stupid hipster". :haha:

Hilarious. Yeah, I was singing at the top of my lungs the whole time. Even during Sirens. Truth be told, I teared up a bit during the song. It sounded gorgeous.

But I did think it was funny that they played Sirens into Even Flow. I just keep thinking, 'for some people this is going to be the longest piss break in the world.'

Id sing at the top of my lungs with you. There might even be a bro hug in there somewhere

PostPosted: Mon October 21, 2013 4:17 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
bluestate wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Id sing at the top of my lungs with you. There might even be a bro hug in there somewhere

You're goddamn right there would be. :luv:

PostPosted: Mon October 21, 2013 5:38 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

I just posted the image of the setlist. It looks like we just missed out on Sad for the opening of the 2nd encore. My jaw would've dropped to the floor. As if the show wasn't already killer enough.

And also, there were quite a lot of man hugs going on in my little corner of the GA.... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon October 21, 2013 5:52 pm 
Future Drummer

stip wrote:
I'm glad DcT made it in. Fantastic show. Definitely one of the best ones I've been to. I am not sure I ever saw the band as into what they were doing. everything sounded really good there, for the most part.

A few notes

New songs: This album plays really well live. Pendulum is a super cool opener. MYM was probably the weakest of the new songs live. I haven't listened to the wrigley version of L-bolt in so long that I forgot how killer that outro solo was. Future days was suprisingly good.

The guitars have a MUCH sharper edge to them then past shows.

Some EXCELLENT extended versions of even flow, immortality (this was great), black, alive, porch, and betterman.

Once was about as good as I've heard it at a show. Same for Go.

Eddie sounded super good in the first encore. He was great throughout.

All Those Yesterdays actually seemed like it was the song that went over the least with the crowd. I'm not sure I had ever gotten it live, so that was a treat.

Eddie butchered the first half of UK, but it recovered well and ended up being really good--I wish it had that energy on the record.

It's not one of my favorite songs but In Hiding is almost always great live and tonight was no different.

I pretty much second all of this. Saturday night was much better than Friday, even accounting for the shift from way-the-fuck-up-high to five rows in front of Mike. Having Dennis Rodman sitting/jumping around six feet away was kind of distracting for a while since everyone around me was paying more attention to him than the stage, but eventually people got over it.

MYM was pretty clearly the worst song, probably of both nights. I know they feel like they have to play it (not saying they don't like playing it, too), but it doesn't sound very good. Keeping that drum solo short was a good move on their part. Black was amazing, as usual. I can't say for sure, but it might have been my favorite performance of it out of all the ones I've ever been present for.

Even after nearly 30 shows, I was still able to cross off a couple of my few remaining white whales from my "never heard it live" list. Oceans on Friday (though I got tricked by their super short encore break and had my dick in my hand when it started), and All Those Yesterdays on Saturday (true, though, that most of the room seemed pretty lukewarm on it). Oh, and I dig Infallible live. I like the heavier feel of it.

Other standouts:

Friday -- Chloe/Crown of Thorns, Sleight of Hand, Sonic Reducer
Saturday -- opening three-song run, In Hiding -> Down, Black (bears mentioning twice)

On the whole, Night 1 definitely falls into the lowest tier of my PJ shows. If I went back and really assessed every one I've been to, Night 2 very well might be in the top third, and perhaps higher.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live