The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post subject: Re: What are the GA pits like?
PostPosted: Wed October 02, 2013 7:47 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

mikejasond wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
mikejasond wrote:
No clue, he said it was at MSG. I thought it was weird too but hey...what do I know, I never did it so just was wondering lol

so you have never been to a concert at all, or just not a PJ show? if you have been to many other shows, id say PJs volume is just average compared to most, not too quiet and not too loud

Now that I think about it I forgot two...I've seen Van Halen at MSG, Aerosmith at Nassau Coliseum, and Maroon 5, Police, and Rush at Jones Beach. So I've been to a couple but not very many. And at none of those was I ever very close. I have no idea what it's like to be right up there by the stage. For all I knew it could make a huge difference, I only really ever thought about it because of that guy talking about his ears ringing and suggesting ear plugs if I got into the pit.

it could be a little different but nothing that will ruin your ears unless they are just sensitive. and the pit will be pretty big, so its possible if you are trying to go to a very popular show that you will be more then half way back to the back of the arena

PostPosted: Wed October 02, 2013 8:36 pm 
Banned from the Pit
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

I'd bring a pair, in case they decide to play any riot act or evacuation

PostPosted: Wed October 02, 2013 11:24 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

zdawg624 wrote:
I'd bring a pair, in case they decide to play any riot act or evacuation

:thumbsdown:

PostPosted: Wed October 02, 2013 11:55 pm 
AnalLog

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:
I hear the GA pit at the europeon shows can be killer.

i dont know if i would have gotten killed, but i did almost get beat up in one :oops:

I got my ass kicked when I saw Smashing Pumpkins in Paris. Those people know how to fucking move - the entire front of the pit swayed, moshed and danced during "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" and I wound up like 30 feet from where I started despite not ever walking anywhere.

On the other hand, I was in the pit for Radiohead when I saw them in France and that audience was chill. It depends on the show.

PostPosted: Thu October 03, 2013 12:38 am 
Mind Your Tanners

matt reeder wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:
I hear the GA pit at the europeon shows can be killer.

i dont know if i would have gotten killed, but i did almost get beat up in one :oops:

I got my ass kicked when I saw Smashing Pumpkins in Paris. Those people know how to fucking move - the entire front of the pit swayed, moshed and danced during "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" and I wound up like 30 feet from where I started despite not ever walking anywhere.

On the other hand, I was in the pit for Radiohead when I saw them in France and that audience was chill. It depends on the show.

I managed to piss of a drunk irishman and 4 of his equally drunk friends, but managed to only get shoved down once and then walked away :lol: :oops:

PostPosted: Thu October 03, 2013 4:05 pm 
AnalLog

mikejasond wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
mikejasond wrote:
No clue, he said it was at MSG. I thought it was weird too but hey...what do I know, I never did it so just was wondering lol

so you have never been to a concert at all, or just not a PJ show? if you have been to many other shows, id say PJs volume is just average compared to most, not too quiet and not too loud

Now that I think about it I forgot two...I've seen Van Halen at MSG, Aerosmith at Nassau Coliseum, and Maroon 5, Police, and Rush at Jones Beach. So I've been to a couple but not very many. And at none of those was I ever very close. I have no idea what it's like to be right up there by the stage. For all I knew it could make a huge difference, I only really ever thought about it because of that guy talking about his ears ringing and suggesting ear plugs if I got into the pit.

they aren't the loudest band by any means...no matter where you are in the building...sound varies from venue to venue, but I've never had a really bad experience up close at a PJ show...

PostPosted: Fri October 04, 2013 4:58 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

mikejasond wrote:
....is it loud enough that it disrupts the experience by meaning I can't really hear the music and crowd and just hear noise or what?

That's right.

PostPosted: Thu October 10, 2013 7:48 pm 
A Return To Form

You should always wear or at least bring earplugs. May not sound too loud, but better to cut out the damaging upper mid range stuff. You can get a pretty good pair for about 10 bucks

PostPosted: Fri October 11, 2013 9:00 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Mild tinnitus from sitting first row for a George Michael show 22 years ago at the Garden. Bring the ear plugs.

PostPosted: Sat October 12, 2013 2:12 pm 
Rank This Poster

anyone in the pit last night?

PostPosted: Mon October 14, 2013 3:31 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I was in the pit in Buffalo. It was surprisingly comfortable. There was a huge line of people in the afternoon waiting to get in first for GA. We skipped that idea and went to the bar. We got to the floor around 7:45 and it was only half full. So we were able to get within 20 yards of the stage. Better than I anticipated. (Being in reserved in Pittsburgh on Friday I was able to observe the same thing - floor is half empty until 8:00)

During the show it got a bit tight at times, but still room to bounce around and not feel claustrophobic. A few people tried to push their way through to the front but mostly everyone just chilled where they were. Towards the end up front there was a bunch of crowd surfing but overall it was calm and respectful. Easily one of my best PJ experiences

PostPosted: Mon October 14, 2013 6:20 pm 
Future Drummer

corduroy2121 wrote:
I was in the pit in Buffalo. It was surprisingly comfortable. There was a huge line of people in the afternoon waiting to get in first for GA. We skipped that idea and went to the bar. We got to the floor around 7:45 and it was only half full. So we were able to get within 20 yards of the stage. Better than I anticipated. (Being in reserved in Pittsburgh on Friday I was able to observe the same thing - floor is half empty until 8:00)

During the show it got a bit tight at times, but still room to bounce around and not feel claustrophobic. A few people tried to push their way through to the front but mostly everyone just chilled where they were. Towards the end up front there was a bunch of crowd surfing but overall it was calm and respectful. Easily one of my best PJ experiences

I am getting stoked. Two night in Worcester. Night one - solo in a floor seat 5 rows back from the pit. Night two - GA pit.

I have had so many side seats over the years with my 10C seats, and am most excited about actually being in the center, reasonably close. I couldn't care less about getting close to the rail, just let me able to hear clearly, see the entire stage easily, and not have to look at any screens to make out their energy levels.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue October 15, 2013 12:40 am 
A Return To Form

I get why people are giving the OP a bit of a hard time...

But OP, the truth is, there's no *major* difference in sound volume from anywhere else in the place... the main differences are two: (1) you get the great experience of seeing the band in moment to moment interaction w/ each other and the audience, which is something you gotta do at least once. and (2) you will get shoved around a little. how much is variable. but if you're 21, I'm guessing it's nothing that you'd find threatening. but possibly annoying. Do it and you'll know if you have to do it again or are glad you did it once and are over it. Of course, everything varies somewhat with the venue and the crowd, but I'd say this assessment is going to be pretty close to correct for 95% of US shows.

PostPosted: Tue October 15, 2013 6:59 pm 
Banned from the Pit

yofismom wrote:
I get why people are giving the OP a bit of a hard time...

But OP, the truth is, there's no *major* difference in sound volume from anywhere else in the place... the main differences are two: (1) you get the great experience of seeing the band in moment to moment interaction w/ each other and the audience, which is something you gotta do at least once. and (2) you will get shoved around a little. how much is variable. but if you're 21, I'm guessing it's nothing that you'd find threatening. but possibly annoying. Do it and you'll know if you have to do it again or are glad you did it once and are over it. Of course, everything varies somewhat with the venue and the crowd, but I'd say this assessment is going to be pretty close to correct for 95% of US shows.

I have to disagree on this one. I was in Ten Club reserved up on the side in Pittsburgh and the sound was spotty, and I thought it was way too quiet. Normally I am used to the floor so I was definitely disappointed.

in Buffalo I was dead center on the floor and the sound was fantastic. Clear and just loud enough. but then again I like it LOUD, so it matters to me maybe more than others.

PostPosted: Tue October 15, 2013 7:29 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I enjoy being right in front of the soundboard for GA shows. That's where I will be for Seattle- come say Hi! :)

PostPosted: Tue October 15, 2013 11:27 pm 
Lost Cat

Bro, you're 21. Concerts are meant to be loud and enjoyed. You don't need ear plugs. Just go and enjoy.

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live