The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 772 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2024 Tour Rumors and Speculation
PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2024 3:19 pm 
Production Police

tragabigzanda wrote:
I miss when my favorite band felt like an organically cohesive creative unit with egalitarian business principles.

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2024 4:01 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

It wasn’t just about money, it was about conglomerates sucking the life out of art, and now PJ is on the other side of that struggle.

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2024 4:01 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Is it realistic to tour without dealing with TM/LiveNation? Seems like 80-90% of venues use their services and thus probably have to agree to conditions like dynamic pricing. Concerts are not like they were back 20 years ago. They are far more elaborate and the venues are more like malls with stages. It's evolution baby.

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2024 4:03 pm 
The Master

Bi_3 wrote:
Is it realistic to tour without dealing with TM/LiveNation? Seems like 80-90% of venues use their services and thus probably have to agree to conditions like dynamic pricing. Concerts are not like they were back 20 years ago. They are far more elaborate and the venues are more like malls with stages. It's evolution baby.

True, but the prices and premium seats are a choice. There seems like there is a middle ground that could be more aligned with their historical values.

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2024 4:10 pm 
Production Police

Allow me to once again share my ideal PJ tour scenario:

A select run of major market stadium shows with reasonably priced tix for the average Joes. Longer sets, greatest hits plus some deep cuts, all the merch you could ever want…Tix max out at ~$180, with 10C access to the pit/front seats.

Alternate those dates with much smaller middle market shows with premium priced tix, an opening act, deep cuts/acoustic set, limited premium priced merch, with a good chunk of revenues going to local orgs. No 10C priority. “An Evening with Pearl Jam.”

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2024 4:16 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

I decided to see if I can check on tix for wrigley.

I made it through the waiting room, and even the nosebleeds way way in outfield are $400/per.

Checked Philly night one, and what’s left is about the same.

Ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2024 4:21 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

wease wrote:
Quote:
Many of Pearl Jam's most loyal fans are teenagers who do not have the money to pay the $50 or more that is often charged today for tickets to a popular concert. Although, given our popularity, we could undoubtedly continue to sell-out our concerts with ticket prices at that premium level, we have made a conscious decision that we do not want to put the price of our concerts out of the reach of many of our fans. Moreover, we do not want to be responsible for teenagers, who may be influenced by peer pressure to feel that they must see Pearl Jam perform, spending more money for that concert ticket than they can really afford. All of the members of Pearl Jam remember what it is like not to have a lot of money, and we recognize that a teenager's perceived need to see his or her favorite band in concert can often be overwhelming.
For these reasons, we have attempted to keep the ticket prices to our concerts to a maximum of $18. We have also tried to limit any service charges that may be imposed on the sale of those tickets to 10 percent of the ticket price, and to ensure that any service charge will be separately identified from the price of the ticket itself so that fans know how much is being charged for the ticket and how much is being added on by the company selling the ticket. As a result, even where a service charge is imposed, our goal is to make it so that no one will pay more than $20 to see a Pearl Jam concert.

Our efforts to try to keep prices for tickets to our concerts to this low level and to limit the possibility of excessive service charge mark-ups have put us at odds with Ticketmaster.

The level of the service charge is not the only problem that Pearl Jam faces in connection with the sale of tickets to its concerts. Beyond the excessive service charges there are the problems of ticket scalping, counterfeiting, and commercial advertising on tickets. For example, at some of our recent concerts, an informal poll of fans in the audience revealed that more than 40 percent of them bought their tickets from ticket brokers. At many of our concerts, we are experiencing a counterfeit ticket rate of about 2.5 to 3%. And at one recent concert in Boston, we learned that some of these counterfeit tickets had been sold to fans for $250.

The problems of ticket scalping and counterfeiting are not new or unique to Pearl Jam concerts. There are, however, steps that can be taken to address those problems. These include specific monitoring to ensure that when tickets to a concert go on sale to the public, none are held back for the benefit of ticket brokers.

Obviously, their main fan base is no longer teenagers, but that doesn’t mean they should just accept the practice of self-scalping and charge thousands of dollars for a ticket when it keeps a lot of their fans from being able to see them.

100%

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2024 4:23 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

When they left Neil young hanging out to dry during the Spotify stuff it was a big indicator of where this band was headed.

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2024 4:23 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Fugazi only ever charged $5

it was the principle that mattered

Monkeywrench Ed fired Dave A for less than this

and now it’s champagne breakfast at the Napa Valley show and $635 to sit in the back

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2024 4:25 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Eddie went from wanting to be fugazi to wanting to be bill maher

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2024 4:25 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

to wanting to be Kim Kardashian

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2024 4:35 pm 
AnalLog

Wait...They could've opted out of this farce and elected not to?
What kind of a cut do they get?

I'm a little slow, admittedly, but, isn't this just legalized scalping where the band, in collusion with TM, intentionally withholds a pre-determined number of seats in order to artificially inflate the price?

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2024 4:37 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

oneway23 wrote:

I'm a little slow, admittedly, but, isn't this just legalized scalping where the band, in collusion with TM, intentionally withholds a pre-determined number of seats in order to artificially inflate the price?

You could put it that way

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2024 4:41 pm 
AnalLog

numbers wrote:
oneway23 wrote:

You could put it that way

Ok....who initiates this? Their management?
Is there any chance TM mandates this now in order to stage a tour, or is that my being hopelessly naive?

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2024 4:53 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

It’s my understanding that bands can opt out of this if they choose, Pearl Jam chose to participate.

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2024 4:58 pm 
AnalLog

numbers wrote:
It’s my understanding that bands can opt out of this if they choose, Pearl Jam chose to participate.

That's really freaking unfortunate, numbers...damn.
Will need to research this blatant scheme more thoroughly.

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2024 5:17 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

it is legalized price-gouging

fundamentally disrespectful to your supporters

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2024 5:22 pm 
The Master

So much of these complaints/issues could be eased with better communication and minor tweaks.

The old system of publishing the 10c lottery odds added some transparency. Bring that back.

Add the ability to request one "preferred show" and fill those requests before others.

Finally, explain in more detail why they opted into premium seats. Was it in exchange for a certain amount of 10c tickets? Purely for the crew? Greed?

Last edited by Monkey_Driven on Sat February 24, 2024 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2024 5:25 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

96583UP wrote:
it is legalized price-gouging

fundamentally disrespectful to your supporters

Think we’re at the point now where they have customers, not supporters/fans.

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2024 5:31 pm 
Major Dude

tragabigzanda wrote:
Allow me to once again share my ideal PJ tour scenario:

A select run of major market stadium shows with reasonably priced tix for the average Joes. Longer sets, greatest hits plus some deep cuts, all the merch you could ever want…Tix max out at ~$180, with 10C access to the pit/front seats.

Alternate those dates with much smaller middle market shows with premium priced tix, an opening act, deep cuts/acoustic set, limited premium priced merch, with a good chunk of revenues going to local orgs. No 10C priority. “An Evening with Pearl Jam.”

That’s would be more work than they’re willing to put in at this point. Maybe ever

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 772 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 39  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live