The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Updated Green Habit compilation?
PostPosted: Wed October 02, 2013 5:05 pm 
Future Drummer

warehouse wrote:
who still has the original? my ipod needs updating big time

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=505701

PostPosted: Wed October 02, 2013 5:56 pm 
AnalLog

oasisfan35 wrote:
warehouse wrote:
who still has the original? my ipod needs updating big time

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=505701

Looks like it needs to be updated 8-)

PostPosted: Tue January 28, 2014 5:03 pm 
AnalLog

Any update on updating this? :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Wed July 06, 2016 12:08 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Did anything come of this? Anyone still interested in doing it now?

PostPosted: Wed July 06, 2016 12:48 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Since I've created this thread, I've been putting together a makeshift list. But only of any songs that weren't on the original compilation. Once I'm comfortable with the list, I'll run it by some of the board's elite compilation-builders and see what they think.

PostPosted: Wed July 06, 2016 2:40 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Since I've created this thread, I've been putting together a makeshift list. But only of any songs that weren't on the original compilation. Once I'm comfortable with the list, I'll run it by some of the board's elite compilation-builders and see what they think.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed July 06, 2016 3:52 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

This is getting close.

PostPosted: Wed July 06, 2016 4:52 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

numbers wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

This is getting close.

hey fuck you, no one has given me any suggestions for songs!

PostPosted: Wed July 06, 2016 11:28 pm 
Future Drummer

Monkey_Driven wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think that songs from the original compilation should be up for review also, given the number of Vault releases since 2004 (not to mention there are definitely some post-2004 improvements on some old songs - e.g. Brother, Sad, anything taken from the 2004 tour audience boots).

PostPosted: Thu July 21, 2016 1:02 am 
The Master

ridleybradout wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think that songs from the original compilation should be up for review also, given the number of Vault releases since 2004 (not to mention there are definitely some post-2004 improvements on some old songs - e.g. Brother, Sad, anything taken from the 2004 tour audience boots).

I agree. Riot Act and Lost Dogs stuff can definitely be re-evaluated. Even stuff like Slow Lukin and the alternate Betterman should be included.

PostPosted: Thu July 21, 2016 5:15 pm 
The Master

Does anyone have a copy of Catholic Boy with Jim Carrol and pearl jam? The original is great but i enjoy that version.

PostPosted: Wed September 14, 2016 7:19 pm 
tl;dr

Okay, so Ridley mentioned this compilation again in PJ Chat (in the "Pearl Jam's Best Live Performances" thread) and I've been mulling over some possible selections. I think the secret sauce in a compilation like this is finding a way to make the warhorses interesting -- not necessarily finding the single best versions of them, but finding unique versions of them, or at least ones that come from recordings with a slightly different sonic character than the official boots. To that end, here are some ideas:

"Even Flow" -- there are so many excellent but rote versions of this song; virtually any one would do, but very few would feel special. I would recommend using either the Unplugged version, or the slightly rearranged Melbourne '95 version. Might be a little more engaging than what your average PJ listener is accustomed to these days.

"Yellow Ledbetter" -- the 1997 Tibetan Freedom Concert version remains the most special version of this for me. One of the best examples of the band (or Ed and Mike) really being locked into the performance of the actual music, rather than enraptured in the farewell gesture it is at proper shows.

"Save You" -- Live at Easy Street. One version of this is as good as the next, really, but this one at least has a sonic flavor that's a little different than the official boots.

"Daughter" -- tempting as it is to use a version of this with an iconic tag or spaced out jam at the end, I would propose using one of the crisp, medium-paced early versions with Dave A. with no tag or a very short one. Rotterdam '93 from the Soundboard Series or Vegas '93 (Vault 5) spring to mind. It's been my experience that after becoming accustomed to the sped-up, less focused Matt versions, the more concise, tighter-wound Dave A. versions are like manna from Heaven.

"Elderly Woman" -- see above. Gotta be a Dave A. version; none of the grab-the-ass-of-the-nearest-Jamily-member-and-get-out-yer-best-singin'-pipes versions from the official boot era are good enough. Atlanta '94 is a great one, but since that will likely be tapped for plenty of performances as is, I would suggest the equally lovely, less familiar Boston 4/12/94 version.

"Better Man" -- the acoustic Bridge '99 version that appears on the B-sides comp would be a nice break from the more familiar concert versions. If not, then one of the 2000 versions with the "Romanza" intro -- Indianapolis is a personal favorite.

"Alive" -- the applause that erupts when they start this song in Seattle 2000 is by itself almost enough to include it; the fact that it's also a stellar version makes it a shoo-in in my book. After hearing probably literally hundreds of versions of this song, this is the only version that still feels unequivocally special to me.

"RVM" -- nothing later than 2000, but preferably a version from early on before Mike excised that lead riff from the chorus part. Atlanta '94 maybe?

"Given to Fly" -- I think Melbourne '98 is the only soundboard we have of this song with Jack on drums. Like Atlanta '94, I think it will be tempting to tap this show for virtually its entire setlist, but I think this one is a must.

Some other versions that immediately come to mind:

"Indifference" -- Indio '93. I know that this is one of the lesser soundoards, but Eddie's voice on this so eclipses any other live version I've heard that I think the compromise is worth it. Even in great years like 1998 and 2000 this song seemed to be a little beyond what Eddie could muster at the end of a show. It shoulda been an opener.

"Thumbing My Way" -- the version from Calgary '05 is played on electric guitar, and features more imaginative singing that any other version I've heard.

"All Those Yesterdays" -- DC '98 -- how lucky we are to now have a soundboard of this from '98. Any other choice would be barbaric.

"Tremor Christ" -- while I'm inclined to want a '95 version of this, I think the Torino '06 version is probably the best one they've ever played.

"Breath" -- Pistoia '06 -- see "Tremor Christ." A flawless performance, tight with perfect lyrical recall. I don't know that any song in their catalog has as high of a performance count to fuckup ratio as this (except maybe "Tremor Christ").

"Release" -- lots of takes to choose from, but I think early versions of this tend to spotlight a lot of Ed's worst traits from that period -- a sort of "hurr durr" showcase, if you will. I am a big fan of the Bonner Springs '03 version, where Ed sees the lightning flash and says "hi, Dad."

"Black" -- I feel pretty much the same about this as I do about "Release." I much prefer the more restrained performances of the middle years to the drama of the early years. Lubbock '00 is a version that has stuck with me.

"Leaving Here" -- Katowice 6/16/00. Maybe the only version from the official boot era where Ed gets all the words right.

"Sometimes" -- Berlin '96. Again, the only soundboard recording we have featuring Jack on drums, and it's one that really benefits from the gentility he brings it -- it loses something with Matt's 4/4 rock beat.

"Present Tense" -- Berlin '96, same reasons as "Sometimes." This song simply lost presence when Matt took the reins, fine as some of those versions are.

My gut says to use Jack versions of most songs on which he originally played, if possible, but I think that would ultimately have us drawing a lot of performances from two shows (Berlin and Melbourne), sucking some of the fun out of the project. I also can't recall if the versions of "In My Tree," "Faithful," "Off He Goes," etc. from these shows really do eclipse the better Matt versions, or if I just remembef them that way because I prefer Jack as a drummer.

I feel pathetic for being able to write this post.

Last edited by Kevin Davis on Wed September 14, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed September 14, 2016 7:33 pm 
Poster of the Year

Definitely go with a Romanza'd Betterman. And I'd be tempted to use the 2000 tour for Daughter and RVM as well. Something from NA leg 1 for RVM, when they were trying to impress Sonic Youth.

As far as the updated GH compilation, I thought we were just going to add songs that weren't already on there, newer albums, etc. Are you suggesting a brand new compilation?

Poster of the Year

Though I am a big fan of the 1998 Betterman's. Full Save It For Later tag and before the days of the audience overtaking the first verse.

PostPosted: Wed September 14, 2016 7:38 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I think one of the Philly 2000 shows had a great sounding, near-full Save it for Later on Betterman..

PostPosted: Wed September 14, 2016 7:38 pm 
tl;dr

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
As far as the updated GH compilation, I thought we were just going to add songs that weren't already on there, newer albums, etc. Are you suggesting a brand new compilation?

Check out the "Pearl Jam's Best Performances" thread in PJ Chat, Ruddo. Some discussion to that effect in there.

PostPosted: Wed September 14, 2016 7:39 pm 
Poster of the Year

Simple Torture wrote:
I think one of the Philly 2000 shows had a great sounding, near-full Save it for Later on Betterman..

Did they Romanza it too? Because that would be perfect.

PostPosted: Wed September 14, 2016 7:42 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Did they Romanza it too? Because that would be perfect.

Nah, I just checked and it's not the one I'm thinking of. They just do a "Save it for later...don't let me down....improv" sort of thing. But there's one from around there, I'll keep looking.

PostPosted: Wed September 14, 2016 7:44 pm 
tl;dr

As staunch of a 2000 tour supporter as I am, part of me feels like even by then some of the warhorses were beginning to take on elements of "routine" that weren't present earlier on. "RVM" is a great example -- the jams are great, but the performances of the song itself feel somewhat dashed off to me. I also think the official boots are going to get tapped for a lot of performances, so anywhere where we can diversify the character of the compilation without sacrificing quality will, in my opinion, ultimately be for the better. But hey, whatever the masses want is good with me. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live