The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Official Vault Releases
PostPosted: Fri August 14, 2020 5:01 pm 
The Master

Give me a jack show and/or Gigaton 2.

PostPosted: Fri August 14, 2020 5:08 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

it's really baffling that other artists can put out multiple live shows a year, but pj eeks out one. I've been looking through wilco's front of house series on nugs. is there any difference to what they're doing vs the multi-tracked shows pj releases? is a front of house recording not multi-tracked as well?

PostPosted: Fri August 14, 2020 5:11 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I want some 93 shows

PostPosted: Fri August 14, 2020 6:36 pm 

I'd really like something Asia Pacific '95 or '96. Need more Jack.

PostPosted: Fri August 14, 2020 6:46 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

dad wrote:
it's really baffling that other artists can put out multiple live shows a year, but pj eeks out one. I've been looking through wilco's front of house series on nugs. is there any difference to what they're doing vs the multi-tracked shows pj releases? is a front of house recording not multi-tracked as well?

Sonic Youth has put out a show like every other week since March, some of them from the '80s. Phish has put out like 3 or so. My Morning Jacket 6-8 or so. I follow the Wilco releases less closely, but I've picked up a few of the early 2000s shows. Hard to think that PJ would face technical challenges that all of these peers don't.

PostPosted: Fri August 14, 2020 9:59 pm 

The limiting factor is that Pearl Jam have locked themselves into the Vault releases being a collectable, physical product, unlike Sonic Youth etc.

I've no doubt ranted about this before but I think that was a really stupid decision.

PostPosted: Fri August 14, 2020 10:03 pm 

dad wrote:

Front-of-house would imply a soundboard recording, i.e. the stereo feed from the soundboard which would've been sent to the PA during the show.

It will probably sound OK but it's likely not going to sound as good as a well-mixed, multitrack recording.

The Sonic Youth shows are a mixed bag (I've picked up a few): some are soundboard, some are multitrack and some are remastered audience recordings.

PostPosted: Fri August 14, 2020 10:44 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Im alright with what they are doing but i want more artwork. More stuff.

PostPosted: Fri August 14, 2020 10:56 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Birds in Hell wrote:
The limiting factor is that Pearl Jam have locked themselves into the Vault releases being a collectable, physical product, unlike Sonic Youth etc.

I've no doubt ranted about this before but I think that was a really stupid decision.

I agree with this and had almost included it in my post. They also seen to value complete (or nearly complete) recordings, and considering most of the pre-2000 vault releases are missing songs (especially if you include Drop in the Park and the Orpheum show), I think people are overestimating just how vast their vault is in that regard.

I know you and I have talked about best-of vault releases before, spenno (Best of USA '96, Best of Asia-Pacific '95, etc.), and how great those could be, but I really don't think think there's demand for it in the fandom and that's a shame.

PostPosted: Fri August 14, 2020 11:19 pm 

Simple Torture wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

I agree with this and had almost included it in my post. They also seen to value complete (or nearly complete) recordings, and considering most of the pre-2000 vault releases are missing songs (especially if you include Drop in the Park and the Orpheum show), I think people are overestimating just how vast their vault is in that regard.

I know you and I have talked about best-of vault releases before, spenno (Best of USA '96, Best of Asia-Pacific '95, etc.), and how great those could be, but I really don't think think there's demand for it in the fandom and that's a shame.

I could get behind a comp of a tour, but why not release a show that’s missing songs? I think hearing the intensity of those early years would be enough for me regardless of the show being complete.

PostPosted: Fri August 14, 2020 11:24 pm 

dad wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

I could get behind a comp of a tour, but why not release a show that’s missing songs? I think hearing the intensity of those early years would be enough for me regardless of the show being complete.

I agree 100% but it's a repeated complaint every time they release a show with missing songs, as though the band are deliberately holding back songs for arbitrary reasons.

This whole thing is an example of how the band would probably benefit from being slightly less insular and could take some pointers from how other bands are managing their archival live releases, instead of trying to please only the subset of fans who congregate on the official forums.

PostPosted: Fri August 14, 2020 11:42 pm 
Future Drummer

People also forget that the band often made front-of-house recordings, it would seem, so the missing songs could potentially be spliced in from a non-multi-track source that is of reasonable quality, and I doubt anyone would care....if they really wanted to release complete shows.

But if you look at Tampa 2000, where they sort of did that, they put the F-O-H song at the end of the second disc instead of inserting it into its proper place, which would indicate that someone in the band has a bug up their ass about the quality changing a little bit for one song.

PostPosted: Sat August 15, 2020 12:04 am 
tl;dr

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
someone in the band has a bug up their ass about the quality changing a little bit for one song.

The audio quality, anyway -- varying performance quality never seemed to bother anyone in the PJ camp...

PostPosted: Sat August 15, 2020 12:10 am 
tl;dr

Birds in Hell wrote:

Another limiting factor is that they've already released hundreds of shows, in real time, as they were happening. You'd be hard pressed to find another band who has released as many officially sanctioned, multi-track concert recordings as Pearl Jam -- literally 2/3 of entire their live performance career has been released. Bummer it's arguably the best third that's missing, but still, you can't really compare them to a band like Sonic Youth who only recently started releasing live recordings.

PostPosted: Mon August 17, 2020 1:08 pm 
Future Drummer

Kevin Davis wrote:
Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
someone in the band has a bug up their ass about the quality changing a little bit for one song.

The audio quality, anyway -- varying performance quality never seemed to bother anyone in the PJ camp...

:haha:

Simple Torture wrote:

Just want to put it on record to PJ camp that WCT and I are willing and able to take this on.

PostPosted: Mon August 17, 2020 1:14 pm 
tl;dr

ridleybradout wrote:
Just want to put it on record to PJ camp that WCT and I are willing and able to take this on.

Just putting it on record to the PJ camp that I am 1000x more likely to buy these than I am to buy any number of forthcoming Vault releases.

PostPosted: Mon August 17, 2020 1:38 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

i would love that Astoria show from 06 were they debuted pretty much all of avocado

PostPosted: Fri August 21, 2020 6:39 pm 

does anyone think that this years' vault release is the stream in September, and there won't be a physical release like previous years? maybe there's just a delay due to covid, but there hasn't been any indication that they'll release something. late july/mid-august has been the timeframe they've announced all the other vault shows, and we're less than two weeks to September. it's not looking like it'll happen.

PostPosted: Fri August 21, 2020 8:06 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah could be.

PostPosted: Sun August 23, 2020 9:33 pm 
The Master

Okay i demand answers on this missoula 05 show they released.

It is so bad. Perhaps one of the worst shows of their careers. THey manage to fuck up the first 5 songs without shame.

Seriously, i need answers. Why???

Did they think it was a funny joke? If so, i respect.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live