The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post subject: Re: 2013-11-16: Chesapeake Energy Arena: Oklahoma City, Okla
PostPosted: Sat November 16, 2013 12:46 pm 
A Return To Form

If anyone wants to trade their 2 pit for my 2 reserved, lmk

08/31/98 - Raleigh
05/10/00 - Mnt Bkr Thtr, Wa
11/02/00 - PDX
11/05/00 - Sea
11/06/00 - Sea
4/3/03 - OKC
10/03/04 - Grand Rapids
5/3/10 - KC
11/15/13 - Dallas
11/16/13 - OKC
10/09/14 - Tulsa
11/20/16 - ToTD Seattle
08/10/18 - Sea
09/20/22 - OKC

PostPosted: Sun November 17, 2013 6:27 am 
mXn

Tonight's show was better than Dallas but this city is a fucking shithole.

PostPosted: Sun November 17, 2013 3:07 pm 
A Return To Form

Bammer wrote:

Lol why do you say that?

08/31/98 - Raleigh
11/02/00 - PDX
11/05/00 - Sea
11/06/00 - Sea
4/3/03 - OKC
10/03/04 - Grand Rapids
5/3/10 - KC
11/15/13 - Dallas
11/16/13 - OKC
10/09/14 - Tulsa
11/20/16 - ToTD Seattle
08/10/18 - Sea
09/20/22 - OKC

PostPosted: Mon November 18, 2013 6:11 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Bammer wrote:

lol I agree. Show was amazing. It was my birthday and I got a tambourine from ED. :) Energy was out of this world and the crowd ate it up.

It's OOOOKay!! Sometimes you'll find yourself...having to put allll yoooour faith, in noooooo faa-a-aith!! Mine is mine and yours won't take its place, now make your getaway-HEY!

PostPosted: Mon November 18, 2013 11:20 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

So, flying home from OKC to Chicago yesterday and flying around the tornados and landing almost sideways at Midway airport right before the storm blew through wasn't much fun.

PostPosted: Tue November 19, 2013 3:19 pm 
A Return To Form

I'd like to add to the guy sitting in section 115, row E, seat 5,6,7 or 8. (Not sure which one) The drunk fucker who was double fisting beers all night and pushing people out of the way without saying a word as you barreled down the aisle like a buck in rut, oblivious to the people around you. Yeah, you have issues man, and several people were complaining about you. I snapped a few pics of you after you knocked my gf back. I was going to say something but why ruin the evening trying to reason with a drunkin ass. You suck

08/31/98 - Raleigh
11/02/00 - PDX
11/05/00 - Sea
11/06/00 - Sea
4/3/03 - OKC
10/03/04 - Grand Rapids
5/3/10 - KC
11/15/13 - Dallas
11/16/13 - OKC
10/09/14 - Tulsa
11/20/16 - ToTD Seattle
08/10/18 - Sea
09/20/22 - OKC

PostPosted: Tue November 19, 2013 4:37 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

My friend & I drove up from Dallas. There's some surprisingly pretty country along the way, particularly around Ardmore. We found our hotel near the airport and went downtown. There's not much there there and except around the arena felt nearly like a ghost town. We went over to the Murrah memorial site and that something to see, especially as the sun was getting low in the sky. What a waste of life. We then walked under the overpass to Bricktown, the entertainment district which was pretty cool for what it was.
Our seats were on Mike's side this time (sec 107) and I was surprised that we were in row K, several rows back than the night before. I had my camera this time & got some decent pics. I'll post a couple later on. The GA section was a good bit larger & more crowded than Dallas. Being a Saturday night a lot more people travelled to see them I guess. That said there were more empty seats up top then a packed Dallas house. We didn't see anyone that was around us from night before and the vibe wasn't as friendly. A little more of a jerk faction this time.
Wash was a surprise opener, my friend didn't know it. I got my second In Hiding & Immortality of the year. The proposal started the encore, leading into Just Breathe. A true highlight for me though was my first full band Parting Ways since '00. I was not expecting Jeremy on back to back nights but they nailed it and got the casual fans back into the show. The Supersonic bit was great; you knew the subject was coming and they handled it beautifully. Come second encore it was getting late in the show & there were still lots of songs I wanted to hear one of the nights; State being one of them. As this was my last show I really wanted Ledbetter to finish & I got my wish.
I very much enjoyed both shows and the band was "on" both nights. I could hear Ed better in OKC but I'd give Dallas a slight advantage, laregly because of the fans around me. Looking forward to checking out the boots though to see if that opinion holds.

PostPosted: Tue November 19, 2013 5:31 pm 

News OK review:

Every great live concert unfolds in three acts. It begins with the big foundation performances that everyone expects, the songs that cause thousands of people to lean forward and try to match the singer in the upper decibel reaches. Then the show gets intimate, so personal that simmering grudges get swept under the stage with a few laughs, people start proposing marriage and even the performers seem surprised at how sweet the mood can get at a 22,000-seat basketball arena.

The final stage of any concert worth remembering comes when the performers and the audience agree to set the rulebook on fire, which is what happened at Pearl Jam’s Saturday concert at Chesapeake Energy Arena. The house lights went up but the band kept playing as singer Eddie Vedder poured wine from his stage supply for lucky front-row fans and the audience heard possibly the most committed and feral performance of The Who’s “Baba O’Riley” that’s been done since the days when Keith Moon was still alive.

And this was all coming from musicians who are either closing in on age 50 or, in the case of bassist Jeff Ament and drummer Matt Cameron, have already crossed that threshold.

Pearl Jam’s standard for live performances was high from the beginning of its career, and that ferocious energy is why the near-capacity crowd was essentially in thrall to the band by the third song, “Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town.” After that, Pearl Jam just kept throwing the hammer down, banging out back-to-back thrashers with “Mind Your Manners” and “Do the Evolution.”

Then Vedder pointed out the 800-pound gorilla in the room. Earlier this month, The Lost Ogle posted video of the singer going off about the loss of his beloved Seattle Supersonics in front of a Charlotte, N.C. audience. Just before playing “MFC (Mini Fast Car)” on Saturday, he acknowledged his not-so-choice words for the Oklahoma City Thunder.

“We’ve gone to some therapy, we’ve dealt with our anger issues,” Vedder said, promising to give a more lengthy explanation later. And after a searing version of “Even Flow,” he dedicated “Sirens” to the people affected by the May tornadoes.

Following the 18-song main set, Pearl Jam loosened up a lot in its first encore, and a good concert became truly great. With guitarists Stone Gossard and Mike McCready perched on stools, Vedder was prepared to launch into a gorgeous version of “Just Breathe” when he learned that someone on the front row wanted to propose marriage. The audience became transfixed as a young woman got on one knee and proposed to her boyfriend and Vedder grinned widely from center stage.

Then, with Ament sporting a Seattle jersey with “Durant 35″ stitched across the back, Vedder made peace with the Thunder, but slyly winking throughout.

“See, here’s the deal,” Vedder said. “It’s nothing to do with Oklahoma or Oklahoma City or Tulsa or this state or the people or the locals or people in this building. It’s simply what it’d be like if your girlfriend, who you were with in a long-time relationship … well, you wouldn’t like her new husband. If it was Fresno, I’d be p—-d off at Fresno.”

Then he went off on Sacramento, Calif., because the NBA blocked a proposal in September to move the Sacramento Kings to Seattle. So far, there are no Sacramento dates scheduled for Pearl Jam’s current tour.

With that out of the way, Vedder flew into high gear, swinging on one of the green, glowing drop lights and then singing 1991′s “Jeremy” like he was trying to make it a hit all over again.

Over two hours into the concert and with 25 songs behind them, the group started its second encore by filing around to the back of the stage and performing its version of “Last Kiss” for the backstage audience, giving people who were getting used to watching the back of Cameron’s drum kit the best seats in the arena. The house lights stayed up and Vedder, who had been taking pulls off of a few bottles of wine placed around his monitors throughout the show, started serving people in the front row. He became the best-paid wine steward in Oklahoma City.

With the entire arena illuminated, the audience just lost its collective mind as Pearl Jam scored a three-pointer with its first hit, “Alive,” that roaring Who cover and a closing performance of “Yellow Ledbetter,” one of those coveted songs that faithful fans always hope will be played.

It might have seemed like Vedder was walking into enemy territory after his inopportune and intemperate remarks about the Thunder a few weeks ago. But after Pearl Jam gave Oklahoma City the kind of lengthy, heartfelt and tireless performance that resembled Bruce Springsteen’s three-hour marathons in the 1980s, all was forgiven. It’s Sacramento’s turn now.

PostPosted: Tue November 19, 2013 8:58 pm 
Thread Killer

Biff Pocoroba wrote:
News OK review:

It’s Sacramento’s turn now.

PostPosted: Tue November 19, 2013 9:29 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

commo wrote:
I'd like to add to the guy sitting in section 115, row E, seat 5,6,7 or 8.

I read this and panicked, until I realized I was in row E, seat 6 of section 105.

PostPosted: Tue November 19, 2013 9:31 pm 
AnalLog

Chris_H_2 wrote:
commo wrote:
I'd like to add to the guy sitting in section 115, row E, seat 5,6,7 or 8.

I read this and panicked, until I realized I was in row E, seat 6 of section 105.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue November 19, 2013 11:46 pm 

PostPosted: Thu November 21, 2013 2:18 am 
mXn

commo wrote:
Bammer wrote:

Lol why do you say that?

I really can't think of a word to explain it. 6pm on a (nice weather) Saturday night with a major event in town...and the center of downtown was literally a ghost town. It was eerie. No joke, I saw a dozen people walking around, tops. And half of them were a bridal party shooting wedding photos. Please name me another "major" city where the downtown city center is barren of all human life at 6pm on a Saturday.

An ATM was nowhere to be found. The downtown Bank of America location had one, but it was inside the lobby. All the lights were off and I buzzed security: "Sorry sir but the building is closed all weekend." WTF?

Drop a pin in the direct center of downtown and you only have to go about 1/2 mile until you're in the absolute ghetto.

Oh and I'm bitter about the Sonics. Yes, I'm biased. But this city was total crap.

PostPosted: Thu November 21, 2013 3:23 am 
A Return To Form

Bammer wrote:
commo wrote:
Bammer wrote:

Lol why do you say that?

I really can't think of a word to explain it. 6pm on a (nice weather) Saturday night with a major event in town...and the center of downtown was literally a ghost town. It was eerie. No joke, I saw a dozen people walking around, tops. And half of them were a bridal party shooting wedding photos. Please name me another "major" city where the downtown city center is barren of all human life at 6pm on a Saturday.

An ATM was nowhere to be found. The downtown Bank of America location had one, but it was inside the lobby. All the lights were off and I buzzed security: "Sorry sir but the building is closed all weekend." WTF?

Drop a pin in the direct center of downtown and you only have to go about 1/2 mile until you're in the absolute ghetto.

Oh and I'm bitter about the Sonics. Yes, I'm biased. But this city was total crap.

I don't know where you stayed but I walked around with a bunch of people on the streets and had to wait an hour for a table. Okc is only like 600k people maybe, it's a small city. Most people work in town and then drive home to Edmond, Moore, Yukon or Norman. No one lives around the city center. Bricktown district is a tourist only area really and usually only busy during weekends when multiple events are happening. Plus there was an OU game that night 25 miles south of bricktown with 80k people in attendance. Most locals don't go to bricktown for a night out.

While it's not a Dallas with a population of over 7 million with 3 pro sports teams and a six flags, it's not a shithole. Traffic ain't bad, cost of living is low, and people are usually friendly and will go out of their way to help you. It's got a small town feeling to it.

Oh yeah, and we got the sonics....

I will say the audience in Dallas seemed to have less assholes in it, but maybe everyone being an ass at Okc show was grumpy from staying where you did that night.

08/31/98 - Raleigh
11/02/00 - PDX
11/05/00 - Sea
11/06/00 - Sea
4/3/03 - OKC
10/03/04 - Grand Rapids
5/3/10 - KC
11/15/13 - Dallas
11/16/13 - OKC
10/09/14 - Tulsa
11/20/16 - ToTD Seattle
08/10/18 - Sea
09/20/22 - OKC

PostPosted: Sun December 01, 2013 7:42 pm 
mXn

commo wrote:
Bammer wrote:
commo wrote:
Bammer wrote:

Lol why do you say that?

I don't know where you stayed but I walked around with a bunch of people on the streets and had to wait an hour for a table. Okc is only like 600k people maybe, it's a small city. Most people work in town and then drive home to Edmond, Moore, Yukon or Norman. No one lives around the city center. Bricktown district is a tourist only area really and usually only busy during weekends when multiple events are happening. Plus there was an OU game that night 25 miles south of bricktown with 80k people in attendance. Most locals don't go to bricktown for a night out.

While it's not a Dallas with a population of over 7 million with 3 pro sports teams and a six flags, it's not a shithole. Traffic ain't bad, cost of living is low, and people are usually friendly and will go out of their way to help you. It's got a small town feeling to it.

Oh yeah, and we got the sonics....

I will say the audience in Dallas seemed to have less assholes in it, but maybe everyone being an ass at Okc show was grumpy from staying where you did that night.

Like i said, I'm bitter :-)

But at least I can tell people what I think about the city from personal experience.

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live