The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post subject: Re: MSG 09/11/98 (NEW Matrix Mix -2020)
PostPosted: Fri April 24, 2020 3:12 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

So, what are everyone's 'must have' 1998 shows? The quality of what's available is really all over the place. Which are everyone's favorites/best recordings?

PostPosted: Fri April 24, 2020 3:16 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

mkay0 wrote:
So, what are everyone's 'must have' 1998 shows? The quality of what's available is really all over the place. Which are everyone's favorites/best recordings?

Seattle is a great show. Really cool one.

PostPosted: Fri April 24, 2020 3:36 pm 
Future Drummer

mkay0 wrote:

7/14 Los Angeles and 9/16 Mansfield are pretty good ALD matrixes.

PostPosted: Fri April 24, 2020 3:37 pm 
AnalLog

mkay0 wrote:

3/5/98

PostPosted: Sun April 26, 2020 12:54 am 
Poster of the Year

Hatfield wrote:
mkay0 wrote:

3/5/98

Yeah that's the high water mark.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:18 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I am holding out hope that someday this will get a proper release. It was such a phenomenal night.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:19 pm 
The Master

liebzz wrote:
I am holding out hope that someday this will get a proper release. It was such a phenomenal night.

I believe it was confirmed in the latest Ten Club newsletter that no soundboard quality copy exists.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:38 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Monkey_Driven wrote:
liebzz wrote:

I believe it was confirmed in the latest Ten Club newsletter that no soundboard quality copy exists.

I was bummed when I read that. Along with Montreal not being recorded, I was at both and while MSG is legendary, Montreal is totally underrated. It looks like audience tapes for those shows for all eternity.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:21 pm 
Future Drummer

Did they say why those shows weren't recorded?

Sometimes venues (especially in New York) request outrageous fees for the privledge of recording there, so bands don't bother.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:19 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
Did they say why those shows weren't recorded?

Sometimes venues (especially in New York) request outrageous fees for the privledge of recording there, so bands don't bother.

That's exactly what is was. The union fees were expensive and they skipped them. Didn't think it was worth paying 10-12k for recording something they would just store in a vault. They never expected a demand to release them and making LO2L was thought of after the tour (summarizing the response basically).

Since the new NYC mix came out we now have a very nice source.

I did the Montreal mix in Cool Edit Pro that is circulating and I think better can be done with new software 22 years later.

I basically have 3 sources for the Montreal show. All decent. The arena is huge so they all sound the same. The CSC source is now my favorite.

Sanken COS-11 > Sony TCD-D8 (1st sec, right, 20 rows up)
CSC->SBM-1->PCM-M1 (1st row balcony, mics hung over ledge) Scott B Master
SONY D8 W/CSB (W/BASS ROLL OFF)SONY DG90P Bakerstuff Master

PostPosted: Tue June 09, 2020 4:51 pm 
AnalLog

gatherspeed wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
liebzz wrote:

I was bummed when I read that. Along with Montreal not being recorded, I was at both and while MSG is legendary, Montreal is totally underrated. It looks like audience tapes for those shows for all eternity.

That Montreal 98 show was my first Pearl Jam show! Do we know for a fact that Montreal was not recorded?

PostPosted: Tue June 09, 2020 9:35 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Thurman Murman wrote:
gatherspeed wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
liebzz wrote:

That Montreal 98 show was my first Pearl Jam show! Do we know for a fact that Montreal was not recorded?

This is what Brett said:

Some fans have wondered why the famous version of “Breath” from the second Madison Square Garden show wasn’t included.

Well, New York City unions charge 10 or 12 grand to record, so we didn’t record it! There were a couple of shows along those lines. Montreal was the same thing. They wanted a ton of money. Sadly, those end up being some of the best shows. This was at a point where we didn’t even know we were working on a live record. Was it worth it dollar-wise to pay all that money just to have some tapes sit in a vault? Turns out maybe, but that’s hindsight.

PostPosted: Tue June 09, 2020 11:22 pm 
AnalLog

gatherspeed wrote:
Thurman Murman wrote:
gatherspeed wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
liebzz wrote:

This is what Brett said:

Some fans have wondered why the famous version of “Breath” from the second Madison Square Garden show wasn’t included.

Well, New York City unions charge 10 or 12 grand to record, so we didn’t record it! There were a couple of shows along those lines. Montreal was the same thing. They wanted a ton of money. Sadly, those end up being some of the best shows. This was at a point where we didn’t even know we were working on a live record. Was it worth it dollar-wise to pay all that money just to have some tapes sit in a vault? Turns out maybe, but that’s hindsight.

Shit...thanks. I had read the part about NYC but somehow i missed the Montreal part.

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live