The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: MSG 09/11/98 (NEW Matrix Mix -2020)
PostPosted: Fri April 24, 2020 3:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Mon January 07, 2013 7:58 pm
Posts: 328
So, what are everyone's 'must have' 1998 shows? The quality of what's available is really all over the place. Which are everyone's favorites/best recordings?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MSG 09/11/98 (NEW Matrix Mix -2020)
PostPosted: Fri April 24, 2020 3:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 22569
mkay0 wrote:
So, what are everyone's 'must have' 1998 shows? The quality of what's available is really all over the place. Which are everyone's favorites/best recordings?


Seattle is a great show. Really cool one.

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MSG 09/11/98 (NEW Matrix Mix -2020)
PostPosted: Fri April 24, 2020 3:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 9:37 am
Posts: 2519
mkay0 wrote:
So, what are everyone's 'must have' 1998 shows? The quality of what's available is really all over the place. Which are everyone's favorites/best recordings?


7/14 Los Angeles and 9/16 Mansfield are pretty good ALD matrixes.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MSG 09/11/98 (NEW Matrix Mix -2020)
PostPosted: Fri April 24, 2020 3:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Fri January 04, 2013 8:54 pm
Posts: 1112
mkay0 wrote:
So, what are everyone's 'must have' 1998 shows? The quality of what's available is really all over the place. Which are everyone's favorites/best recordings?


3/5/98


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MSG 09/11/98 (NEW Matrix Mix -2020)
PostPosted: Sun April 26, 2020 12:54 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 56213
Location: Sector 7-G
Hatfield wrote:
mkay0 wrote:
So, what are everyone's 'must have' 1998 shows? The quality of what's available is really all over the place. Which are everyone's favorites/best recordings?


3/5/98

Yeah that's the high water mark.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MSG 09/11/98 (NEW Matrix Mix -2020)
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:18 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 2656
I am holding out hope that someday this will get a proper release. It was such a phenomenal night.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MSG 09/11/98 (NEW Matrix Mix -2020)
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 23825
Location: Mizzou
liebzz wrote:
I am holding out hope that someday this will get a proper release. It was such a phenomenal night.


I believe it was confirmed in the latest Ten Club newsletter that no soundboard quality copy exists.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MSG 09/11/98 (NEW Matrix Mix -2020)
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:38 pm 
Offline
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 Profile

Joined: Wed September 25, 2013 4:31 pm
Posts: 55
Monkey_Driven wrote:
liebzz wrote:
I am holding out hope that someday this will get a proper release. It was such a phenomenal night.


I believe it was confirmed in the latest Ten Club newsletter that no soundboard quality copy exists.



I was bummed when I read that. Along with Montreal not being recorded, I was at both and while MSG is legendary, Montreal is totally underrated. It looks like audience tapes for those shows for all eternity.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MSG 09/11/98 (NEW Matrix Mix -2020)
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 9:37 am
Posts: 2519
Did they say why those shows weren't recorded?

Sometimes venues (especially in New York) request outrageous fees for the privledge of recording there, so bands don't bother.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MSG 09/11/98 (NEW Matrix Mix -2020)
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:19 pm 
Offline
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 Profile

Joined: Wed September 25, 2013 4:31 pm
Posts: 55
Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
Did they say why those shows weren't recorded?

Sometimes venues (especially in New York) request outrageous fees for the privledge of recording there, so bands don't bother.



That's exactly what is was. The union fees were expensive and they skipped them. Didn't think it was worth paying 10-12k for recording something they would just store in a vault. They never expected a demand to release them and making LO2L was thought of after the tour (summarizing the response basically).

Since the new NYC mix came out we now have a very nice source.

I did the Montreal mix in Cool Edit Pro that is circulating and I think better can be done with new software 22 years later.

I basically have 3 sources for the Montreal show. All decent. The arena is huge so they all sound the same. The CSC source is now my favorite.

Sanken COS-11 > Sony TCD-D8 (1st sec, right, 20 rows up)
CSC->SBM-1->PCM-M1 (1st row balcony, mics hung over ledge) Scott B Master
SONY D8 W/CSB (W/BASS ROLL OFF)SONY DG90P Bakerstuff Master


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MSG 09/11/98 (NEW Matrix Mix -2020)
PostPosted: Tue June 09, 2020 4:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Sun January 06, 2013 4:25 am
Posts: 690
gatherspeed wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
liebzz wrote:
I am holding out hope that someday this will get a proper release. It was such a phenomenal night.


I believe it was confirmed in the latest Ten Club newsletter that no soundboard quality copy exists.



I was bummed when I read that. Along with Montreal not being recorded, I was at both and while MSG is legendary, Montreal is totally underrated. It looks like audience tapes for those shows for all eternity.


That Montreal 98 show was my first Pearl Jam show! Do we know for a fact that Montreal was not recorded?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MSG 09/11/98 (NEW Matrix Mix -2020)
PostPosted: Tue June 09, 2020 9:35 pm 
Offline
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 Profile

Joined: Wed September 25, 2013 4:31 pm
Posts: 55
Thurman Murman wrote:
gatherspeed wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
liebzz wrote:
I am holding out hope that someday this will get a proper release. It was such a phenomenal night.


I believe it was confirmed in the latest Ten Club newsletter that no soundboard quality copy exists.



I was bummed when I read that. Along with Montreal not being recorded, I was at both and while MSG is legendary, Montreal is totally underrated. It looks like audience tapes for those shows for all eternity.


That Montreal 98 show was my first Pearl Jam show! Do we know for a fact that Montreal was not recorded?


This is what Brett said:

Some fans have wondered why the famous version of “Breath” from the second Madison Square Garden show wasn’t included.

Well, New York City unions charge 10 or 12 grand to record, so we didn’t record it! There were a couple of shows along those lines. Montreal was the same thing. They wanted a ton of money. Sadly, those end up being some of the best shows. This was at a point where we didn’t even know we were working on a live record. Was it worth it dollar-wise to pay all that money just to have some tapes sit in a vault? Turns out maybe, but that’s hindsight.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MSG 09/11/98 (NEW Matrix Mix -2020)
PostPosted: Tue June 09, 2020 11:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Sun January 06, 2013 4:25 am
Posts: 690
gatherspeed wrote:
Thurman Murman wrote:
gatherspeed wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
liebzz wrote:
I am holding out hope that someday this will get a proper release. It was such a phenomenal night.


I believe it was confirmed in the latest Ten Club newsletter that no soundboard quality copy exists.



I was bummed when I read that. Along with Montreal not being recorded, I was at both and while MSG is legendary, Montreal is totally underrated. It looks like audience tapes for those shows for all eternity.


That Montreal 98 show was my first Pearl Jam show! Do we know for a fact that Montreal was not recorded?


This is what Brett said:

Some fans have wondered why the famous version of “Breath” from the second Madison Square Garden show wasn’t included.

Well, New York City unions charge 10 or 12 grand to record, so we didn’t record it! There were a couple of shows along those lines. Montreal was the same thing. They wanted a ton of money. Sadly, those end up being some of the best shows. This was at a point where we didn’t even know we were working on a live record. Was it worth it dollar-wise to pay all that money just to have some tapes sit in a vault? Turns out maybe, but that’s hindsight.


Shit...thanks. I had read the part about NYC but somehow i missed the Montreal part.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sun September 20, 2020 8:38 am