The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2022-09-10: New York, NY (Apollo Theater)
PostPosted: Sun September 11, 2022 4:14 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

littlecomment wrote:
96583UP wrote:
wease wrote:
littlecomment wrote:

Glass half full view: they did play everything on the setlist despite delays, along with the Zevon bonus song.

That pic is as sloppy as the show was

haha

this TOTD video is making me feel better

i miss Chris

Playing the Orpheum now if you want to wash the taste out.

i moved on to this

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sun September 11, 2022 4:16 am 
Broken Tamborine

96583UP wrote:
littlecomment wrote:
96583UP wrote:
wease wrote:
littlecomment wrote:

Glass half full view: they did play everything on the setlist despite delays, along with the Zevon bonus song.

That pic is as sloppy as the show was

haha

this TOTD video is making me feel better

i miss Chris

Playing the Orpheum now if you want to wash the taste out.

i moved on to this

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun September 11, 2022 4:16 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

righto, who's got the rip?

PostPosted: Sun September 11, 2022 5:22 am 
10Club Complaint Department

I wonder if the band are in the middle of transition to what being Pearl Jam looks like for a bunch of guys in their late 50s/60s, figuring out their limitations.

Or alternatively, if they simply don't have that much touring left in them.

I could see Stone - maybe even Jeff - at some point saying you know what, I think I'm done.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think only Ed really seems to crave that validating roar back from the audience.

PostPosted: Sun September 11, 2022 5:33 am 
mXn

Birds in Hell wrote:
I wonder if the band are in the middle of transition to what being Pearl Jam looks like for a bunch of guys in their late 50s/60s, figuring out their limitations.

Or alternatively, if they simply don't have that much touring left in them.

I could see Stone - maybe even Jeff - at some point saying you know what, I think I'm done.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think only Ed really seems to crave that validating roar back from the audience.

I think it’s a little strange that the last ever PJ show will be in Denver, but here we are.

‘Twas a great run.

PostPosted: Sun September 11, 2022 5:36 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Dots again marking the songs tuned down.

PostPosted: Sun September 11, 2022 6:17 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

It seemed like Ed had a technical issue with his guitar or tuning on “Whipping.” It’s not clear to me what the guitar tech did and whether it did any good.

Overall, this was easily one of the sloppiest shows I’ve ever heard from them, but it’s hard to separate what might have been monitor issues caused by the pa reboot vs issues with the radio broadcast mix.

It is a really hostile landscape at the moment for touring (especially at their scale) on just about every level. It does seem like so much of the 2022 tour has been extremely effortful (to say the least), but so much of what’s happened has been beyond their control, and I feel like they’ve handled it admirably. Many bands would have packed it in for the year by now. For the most part, I think they have sounded great but it can’t be easy facing challenges at every turn. I’m not convinced that much of what they’ve run into so far is related to aging.

PostPosted: Sun September 11, 2022 6:21 am 
Posting (live)

Did anyone record this? Or do we know when the boot will be released?

PostPosted: Sun September 11, 2022 7:45 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Doubt there will be a bootleg release but will be rebroadcast several times this week.

Concert Replays:
September 11 at 5pm ET
September 12 at 11am ET
September 13 at 12am ET and 6pm ET
September 14 at 7am ET
September 15 at 9am ET and 7pm ET
September 16 at 2pm ET
September 17 at 8am ET and 7pm ET
September 18 at 2pm ET

PostPosted: Sun September 11, 2022 8:20 am 
AnalLog

Moshimistic wrote:
It seemed like Ed had a technical issue with his guitar or tuning on “Whipping.” It’s not clear to me what the guitar tech did and whether it did any good.

Overall, this was easily one of the sloppiest shows I’ve ever heard from them, but it’s hard to separate what might have been monitor issues caused by the pa reboot vs issues with the radio broadcast mix.

It is a really hostile landscape at the moment for touring (especially at their scale) on just about every level. It does seem like so much of the 2022 tour has been extremely effortful (to say the least), but so much of what’s happened has been beyond their control, and I feel like they’ve handled it admirably. Many bands would have packed it in for the year by now. For the most part, I think they have sounded great but it can’t be easy facing challenges at every turn. I’m not convinced that much of what they’ve run into so far is related to aging.

Have not heard this show yet, but sounds like it was sloppy. But maybe the mix was all wrong, let's if we get a different mix for the rebroadcasts or bootleg. But yeah the 2022 tours so far are hard for them. This whole Gigaton era is. Like: 'It took us years to make this record and parted ways with our longtime producer, but here it is! And we are really damn proud of it and are excited to tour a lot' Pandemic hit and couldnt tour for two years and not they have to make up for shows they already sold two years ago while working on a new record with Watt.

There were some talks about them going to Australia in a couple of months for the last leg of the Gigaton tour but not sure if they feel like it now. Perhaps they just want a fresh start with a new record.

And about Boom... Yeah, Ive noticed that on earlier boots this year aswell, even on that Gigaton Live disc. He makes many mistakes, like he didnt play at all during the pandemic. Maybe it's time to replace him permanently with Klinghoffer or Josh Evans.....It's time..

PostPosted: Sun September 11, 2022 10:39 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

LetMeSleep wrote:
Did anyone record this? Or do we know when the boot will be released?

There's a chance of a bootleg release down the line--Phish played this same concert series a few years ago, and their official recordings usually come out within hours of the show, but this one came out 1-2 months later. I have to imagine that XM has an exclusivity window.

However, considering people descriptions of the show, I imagine this one gets locked away until 2 years from now when they realize, "Oh, shit, we need a Vault release...what do we already have recorded/mastered?"

PostPosted: Sun September 11, 2022 11:01 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Sun September 11, 2022 12:23 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Well, here’s to praying that like a great athlete, the competitive juices from a flop the night before ignite a great show tonight.

PostPosted: Sun September 11, 2022 12:39 pm 
The Master

This whole thing reminds me of the first Seattle show in 2018. The band desperately wanted to make it special, but they just can't summon magic for one show with such infrequent touring. Luckily, night two was much better by all accounts.

PostPosted: Sun September 11, 2022 12:42 pm 
Rank This Poster

sounds like a great show where boom shined

PostPosted: Sun September 11, 2022 1:09 pm 
Production Police

96583UP wrote:
wease wrote:
He just said James Brown was amateur night playing there. He recorded one of the most badass live albums ever there.

i didnt fully follow but he threw in a slight to PJ saying something like 'and tonight so are we'

at least him acknowledging how they dialed up the suck tonight!

wouldn't want it any other way

SO EPIC

“Amateur night at the Apollo” was (is?) an ongoing venue series in which unknown talent debuts before a tough crowd. James Brown got his start there. Also Ella Fitzgerald, Michael Jackson, lots more

PostPosted: Sun September 11, 2022 1:13 pm 
Rank This Poster

I don't think it was quite as bad as we're making it seem. The live stream mix wasn't doing them any favours.

It was definitely on the sloppy side with some noticeable flubs, but I think the quick jumps and drops of the levels in the mix made it seem sloppier and worse than it was. The few youtube videos I've watched from inside the venue sound pretty good. (Whipping is still a trainwreck)

PostPosted: Sun September 11, 2022 1:18 pm 
Major Dude

joostone wrote:
Moshimistic wrote:

Have not heard this show yet, but sounds like it was sloppy. But maybe the mix was all wrong, let's if we get a different mix for the rebroadcasts or bootleg.

While the mix was quite terrible in places, not everything can be boiled down to that. Some band members seemed totally lost in places during songs they’ve been playing for 30+ years. Mike played a few bars in his Even Flow solo in the wrong key. During Quick Escape, there were sections where it sounded like he hadn’t played the song since he recorded his part and his only prep was listening to it once in the plane ride to New York 2 days ago. And Whipping was an absolute travesty. Even after the second start, Jeff got so out of place it was as if they were trying a new arrangement and he was the only one that remembered. The mix was only a small contributor to the sloppiness of the show.

PostPosted: Sun September 11, 2022 1:19 pm 
Major Dude

tragabigzanda wrote:
96583UP wrote:
wease wrote:
He just said James Brown was amateur night playing there. He recorded one of the most badass live albums ever there.

i didnt fully follow but he threw in a slight to PJ saying something like 'and tonight so are we'

at least him acknowledging how they dialed up the suck tonight!

wouldn't want it any other way

SO EPIC

“Amateur night at the Apollo” was (is?) an ongoing venue series in which unknown talent debuts before a tough crowd. James Brown got his start there. Also Ella Fitzgerald, Michael Jackson, lots more

Ah. Thanks for that.

PostPosted: Sun September 11, 2022 1:29 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Monkey_Driven wrote:
This whole thing reminds me of the first Seattle show in 2018. The band desperately wanted to make it special, but they just can't summon magic for one show with such infrequent touring. Luckily, night two was much better by all accounts.

Definitely was. Fingers crossed for tonight!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live