The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: 2022-09-01: Quebec City, Canada
PostPosted: Fri September 02, 2022 2:04 pm 
Major Dude

Oddly, if they’re tuned down for EVERYTHING, I think it would seem less jarring and out of place

PostPosted: Fri September 02, 2022 2:04 pm 
mXn

Monkey_Driven wrote:
People care about downtuning way too much

I honestly don’t think I would notice

PostPosted: Fri September 02, 2022 8:18 pm 
Future Drummer

Black tuned down? Really? :(

Dang......that's so sad. This sounds really bad. I'm still looking forward to MSG but I feel like this would have been an epic show if it went as planned in 2020. It seems like something's up with Eddie's voice. I hope it's not permanent. Having listened to a lot of classic PJ lately it's hard hearing these vids. I wonder if he just never recovered from covid. He's still able to perform, but it now seems like one of those bands that everybody politely enjoys because of nostalgia but not because they're actually performing great but just because they're getting through it.

PostPosted: Fri September 02, 2022 8:21 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

damn, such a great setlist

PostPosted: Fri September 02, 2022 8:21 pm 
Future Drummer

The setlist seems fun at the very least, but the performances sound really bad, its the worst ive ever heard Ed or Matt sound and the down-tuning makes the songs sound weird and lifeless

PostPosted: Fri September 02, 2022 8:30 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

well those videos sounded great

PostPosted: Fri September 02, 2022 8:32 pm 
Future Drummer

Im just judging by the vids. The downtuning gives a weird un-PJ quality to the sound, and Ed sounds like he's struggling to sing anything at all even still. Ed singing out of tune on songs that are already in the wrong key (Porch chorus for example) creates a very weird effect.

PostPosted: Fri September 02, 2022 8:55 pm 
Future Drummer

I really am no audiophile - don’t care. I was there last night, my 40-something-ish show… they sounded GREAT. And hey, the venue is newer, maybe that helped, but the band was awesome. Eddie isn’t 30 anymore. I think they’re amazing still.

PostPosted: Fri September 02, 2022 9:06 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

that’s awesome

glad you had fun

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Fri September 02, 2022 9:24 pm 
AnalLog

add corduroy to the list

sing along crap in the bridge remains!

edit: alive too.

interesting turn of events.

guess it was bound to happen sooner or later.. the guy *is* pushing 60

regardless.. can't wait to see them myself

PostPosted: Fri September 02, 2022 9:56 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Rob wrote:
I really am no audiophile - don’t care. I was there last night, my 40-something-ish show… they sounded GREAT. And hey, the venue is newer, maybe that helped, but the band was awesome. Eddie isn’t 30 anymore. I think they’re amazing still.

glad you had fun! yeah, the show in Werchter was so fucking good, urgent and tight.

PostPosted: Sat September 03, 2022 3:15 am 
The Master

mikejasond wrote:
Black tuned down? Really? :(

Dang......that's so sad. This sounds really bad. I'm still looking forward to MSG but I feel like this would have been an epic show if it went as planned in 2020. It seems like something's up with Eddie's voice. I hope it's not permanent. Having listened to a lot of classic PJ lately it's hard hearing these vids. I wonder if he just never recovered from covid. He's still able to perform, but it now seems like one of those bands that everybody politely enjoys because of nostalgia but not because they're actually performing great but just because they're getting through it.

Dude, they haven’t sounded like classic PJ for a long time.

PostPosted: Sat September 03, 2022 11:42 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

they have been a nostalgia act for at least 10 years

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sat September 03, 2022 9:34 pm 
A Return To Form

Please be kind : I never write this long in english.

This week has been totally busy but I finally have time to write about the Quebec concert. First night of the final leg of the 2022 tour.

Nearing the end of a crazy week (and two years and a half year of whatever) I was eager for the show to begin, Even though the Europe tour reviews, with all the cancelations that occurred due to a lack of throat, kind of bummed me out. Still, I was excited, ready « to ride the wave » wherever it would take me. In an excited way I even made the controversial proposal of a Buckle up opener.

The band takes the stage. As you know, they would sit for a few songs. After a two songs pre-set (Daughter and Footsteps), they finally opened the show with Buckle up, as I wished. Jokes aside : the Daughter-Footsteps combo to open the show was really a surprise and that’s what I wanted : to be surprised. Buckle up was nice. But then, Ed acknowledged a person presence in the crowd, saying how even they never get over losing a loved one (nod to Johnny Ramones, if I heard right) and dedicated the next one to the brother this person lost (was his favorite song).

Otherside. Totally blew my mind. I was tired, I don’t know. I cried a lot. I really thought there was no surprises left with this band. Off he goes was gorgeous.

What I would call the main set was tight. They all played great. Lot of energy (McCready is a beast, so is Jeff Ament). Ed was talkative, sometimes as incoherent as Ed can be but also generous.

Great moments :
- five Gigaton songs (Who ever said was phenomenal with the I can’t get no satisfaction tag line, Take the long way was a good surprise) ;
- two Lost dogs and I got shit ;
- Ed fake punching Stone after he false started Alive ;
- Ed improv at the end of Black ;
- Mike and Ed bromance (Ed put his arms around Mike one time, told him to keep playing during Corduroy) which would explain the last minute addition of Present tense to the set (Ed made fun of Jeff sitting on the side of the stage drinking gin) ;
- Indifference as a closer (I feared Purple rain was the end) and an emotional and happy Ed saying : « I guess we’re touring again ! »

They really sound less sloppy than the May 2016 show I attended where they played 33 songs. 22 songs don’t really drag. Could have made it to 26 without the Pluralone show. But still. I had a great time. I wanted badly to attend the Ottawa show tonight but I’ll follow the rest of the tour with excitement.

Only advice I can give you folks : take it all in while it last. They are genuinely having fun. Enjoy !

P.S : the downtuning make some songs sounds heavier. But I think that even the version of Why go they played in 2003 was downtuned. I really can get over that. I’m not ready for the all acoustic sets.

PostPosted: Sun September 04, 2022 12:51 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Im glad you had such a blast. Yeah, i feel these guys are going trough a cool phase right now. Looking forward to this boot.

PostPosted: Sun September 04, 2022 1:02 am 
A Return To Form

VinylGuy wrote:
Im glad you had such a blast. Yeah, i feel these guys are going trough a cool phase right now. Looking forward to this boot.

Looking forward to it too. Keep me posted !

PostPosted: Wed September 28, 2022 12:15 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

listening to it right now

the start is great, the band is in high spirits....and damn Otherside is such a gem.

PostPosted: Wed September 28, 2022 1:07 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Who Ever Said is great live....the run with this one, Take The Long Way and I Got Id is wonderful

PostPosted: Wed September 28, 2022 1:16 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

damn MYM was intense

PostPosted: Mon October 03, 2022 5:38 pm 
A Return To Form

VinylGuy wrote:
damn MYM was intense

Right ? Not the song I wanted to hear but I was glad they played it. I can't wait to listen to the Who ever said > Long way > I got id sequence.

After Long way, it took a few seconds to realize Ed was playing the intro to I got id. Great set, great memories.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live