Switch to full style
Discuss your favorite shows, tours, concert posters...
Post a reply

Re: 2022-07-17: Paris, France

Tue July 19, 2022 10:34 pm

Evvo wrote:Breath was tuned down in London and just lost all momentum.

I don't know why, but the songs just sound deflated like an old balloon when they play them in a lower key.

Wed July 20, 2022 1:17 am

bodysnatcher wrote:
96583UP wrote:Satan's Bed, eh....

that song actually has not aged well, it's kinda boring

but also kinda interesting

but not

Make up your mind, broseph

it really depends what kind of mood i am in and how emphatic stone's shimmying is during the rendition of the song (more shimmying -> better song)

Wed July 20, 2022 1:25 am

re: tuned down versions

on the one hand I would rather not listen to Ed struggling to hit the high notes and sounding strained

that said, re: the videos:

WES: guitar tones don't have enough character - maybe it's just the video recording quality - but there is no edge ... or maybe Josh just did such a bang-up job in the studio version it's gonna be tough to accept the live versions ... Ed's word salad on the live version really stands out though ... needs more diction like on the studio recording (never going to happen live)

Go: the down tuning doesn't seem obvious to me (is it actually tuned down?)... and for such a burly song i think lower tones might even be better or more badass live, assuming they play it with energy

Satan's Bed: shimmying level looked moderate from the recording ...

Wed July 20, 2022 6:46 am

XWayne wrote:This one was pretty special to me: show #50, and in my hometown.
I expected to be let down because it was a festival, Pearl Jam is not well-known in France, and we know the limits of the band in 2022.

But it was a blast. The audience was really into it, the band was apparently surprised. It was a Stone night, smiling, getting into the solos of MFC and Not for You, and even walking to Mike's side.
Vedder did not launch himself in long speeches, Daughter had no tag and Black's ending was shortened compared to the latest concerts, so I guess it allowed the band to play 22 songs in less than 2 hours. There was a short break during Given to Fly as someone passed out in the audience, and when he was retrieved by security the band restarted flawlessly on the last chorus.
I don't think it is a great show by itself (I'll wait and check the bootleg to find out how it actually sounds), but I had a lot of fun, I crossed paths with a lot of friends, and the band was enjoying themselves. It looks like they discovered that the French audience was really waiting for them (10 years since the last show in France at Arras, and 16 since the last Paris show), hopefully they will stop here again (in an actual venue) for their next tour or a Vedder solo one.

Good to hear. I skipped this one because of the festival setting. I can only handle one festival day and chose Werchter. :)
But would definitely attend an indoor Paris show again. Or Arras, which is the closest to my home I've seen the band.

Wed July 20, 2022 7:24 am

96583UP wrote:on the one hand I would rather not listen to Ed struggling to hit the high notes and sounding strained

I would much rather they keep the songs at their original key, but Ed changes the vocal melody to fit his current voice.

Thu July 21, 2022 2:23 pm

Birds in Hell wrote:
96583UP wrote:on the one hand I would rather not listen to Ed struggling to hit the high notes and sounding strained

I would much rather they keep the songs at their original key, but Ed changes the vocal melody to fit his current voice.

Yes

Fri July 22, 2022 1:31 am

Or just retire songs that they can't play anymore.

Fri July 22, 2022 1:55 am

The show that ended Pearl Jam.
Post a reply