The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post subject: Re: 2022-06-23: Zurich, Switzerland
PostPosted: Wed July 20, 2022 6:35 am 
Rank This Poster

https://www.nme.com/news/music/eddie-ve ... ed-3270735

Eddie Vedder ejects fan from Pearl Jam gig for fighting: “No violence allowed”

PostPosted: Wed July 20, 2022 7:33 pm 
Future Drummer

This one's on the radio so going to listen to it now.

PostPosted: Wed July 20, 2022 7:53 pm 
Future Drummer

The tone of a show is always starting off right when Release is first :heartbeat:

I still hate how fast they do Even Flow but I guess it's true it's not as bad as in the past, VinylGuy was right about that. Release into Even Flow is a nice start for a Pearl Jam show regardless. And I feel like Even Flow sounds better than the Netherlands show? This show in general is hitting me better so far. This does have a nice groove now that they're into the solos.

Wow, speaking of more relaxed tempos, Corduroy is slower than I remember hearing it in recent years? It sounds better. Like a fair amount better? This sounds WAY better than they have played it in AGES. What the heck. Now if only he'd stop the YEAH YEAH singalong................I HATE THAT SO MUCH. And it's always the exact same dumb thing. It doesn't even sound good but he always has to do it the exact same way. Why why why did he think that was a good idea? Anyway I'm not sure if it's just my imagination but that sounded a lot better than it usually does and slower, but maybe I'm just going crazy. But hearing Pearl Jam rock Release, Even Flow, and Corduroy in a row is pretty great. Especially with them all being good versions for once lol.

Ooh and then Immortality. So far I'm enjoying this much more than Netherlands.

PostPosted: Wed July 20, 2022 8:25 pm 
Future Drummer

This show has been great and I was excited to go into DOTC but Ed is now starting to sound tired lol. It still sounds good live. But man the background vocals in PJ are soooo bad. They always have been but this is sort of a mess. It sounds like a bunch of friends at drunk karaoke at the ending. They try though <_<. Ed sounds pretty good on this part though and at least the music sounds good. Are they looping Ed's vocals? The thing is two Eds warbling slightly off the beat is a lot to take lol. Oh well, I still like the song.

Now into Quick Escape. This is nice but I'm kinda sad that so far they seem to mostly just siphon all the gigaton songs to the same part of the setlist, and just the singles only. Ed forgets the lyrics right on the first line lol. This song sounds pretty good live. Except the chorus. The end sounds great

Then a sweet story about how last time he was here he met his wife, and then he talks about his daughters before going into....Daughter! And wow a WMA tag AND leash AND glorified G. The tempo of Daughter was great btw...sounded really good.

Into Given to Fly at a relatively restrained speed? They usually ruin this song with speed but it sounds pretty good here? At least relatively laid back. Is Matt Cameron sick on this show? *squints*

And now Seven o Clock! Which I haven't heard on a boot yet (I heard a live version but not in context of a show)

This show is actually great so far??

PostPosted: Wed July 20, 2022 8:32 pm 
Future Drummer

Lol at Eddie garbling all the lyrics on the second verse of Seven O Clock. I love when he gets to the trump part just to hear him get fired up lol.

He has also garbled the lyrics on the second chorus. Oh well.

Now Do the Evolution! This is a hit heavy show but they're actually playing everything well and I could see this being INCREDIBLE if you hadn't seen them much, which I guess is perfect since they haven't been there in 20 years. Once again the tempo on this song is slow. This is amazing all the tempos on this show. I'm so confused what produced this. You're not gonna believe this but I'm pretty sure they are playing this at almost album speed. What?? It's getting slower if anything. This is so cool. What is going on?

PostPosted: Wed July 20, 2022 8:36 pm 
Future Drummer

Posting this here because my mind was blown.

Go to 58:38. They NEVER play Do the Evolution that slow. It sounds so good!

PostPosted: Wed July 20, 2022 8:37 pm 
Future Drummer

The guitar solo on DTE was so great at the right speed. This sounds so good I'm in shock. Are we sure Matt Cameron hasn't been replaced by a Doppelganger for this show? Corduroy Given to Fly and Do the Evolution were all noticeably better, as was Even Flow. This show also hasn't had a bad song yet.

PostPosted: Wed July 20, 2022 8:52 pm 
Future Drummer

I don't know if it's just my mood or if I just convinced myself of it but this show is so much better than netherlands. Into a relatively restrained Animal and now Present Tense, one of the best songs to get live IMO. Matt Cameron is keeping it restrained in the beginning but also hitting the cymbol to keep it moving along stopping it from being too fast or getting all slow and draggy. I'm convinced he saw everybody praising the shows where he wasn't drumming and is now motivated to prove he can do it.

Wow, Present Tense into In Hiding? What an awesome combo.

In Hiding sounds really different. I'm not sure why. Different key? Just a different guitar tone or tempo? It sounds odd but not bad? I'm not sure if it's tuned down or just being played differently on the guitar it just sounds odd to my ears. This is the first one that sounds weak to me. Ed just sounds off. This one is so fun live though when you're there. One of the best songs to sing along too in the catalog.

This show has really had a great setlist. No rarities yet sure, but also no covers, and mostly its been their big hits, some Gigaton songs, and some of their crowd pleasing deep cuts (Present Tense, In Hiding). This seems like it'd be such a great first concert for people who aren't deeply familiar with the band.

And then Jeremy so we must be getting towards the end of the set. I will always love hearing this one live too.

PostPosted: Wed July 20, 2022 8:55 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Do they still completely ignore the piano part in In Hiding despite having a touring keyboard player?

PostPosted: Wed July 20, 2022 9:06 pm 
Future Drummer

JuanHamm wrote:
Do they still completely ignore the piano part in In Hiding despite having a touring keyboard player?

I didn't notice...

The crowd doing the Jeremy OOooo---whooooooaaas over the ending bass solo vamp was pretty awesome.

Oh wow, into Why Go, I didn't expect that there. Like everything so far it sounds good with a tempo that's fairly restrained.

ALSO didn't expect Crazy Mary here. It sounds really good. Liking the guitar solos at the end a lot.

PostPosted: Wed July 20, 2022 9:14 pm 
Future Drummer

The end of Crazy Mary sounded REALLY good. I haven't heard it in a while though. And that ending going right into Porch? Really cool. This is a great end of the set.

This show main set was AWESOME. Not a weak song in the lot. But I wish I didn't know the encores were going to be short. That is the worst thing about their shows now.

PostPosted: Wed July 20, 2022 9:38 pm 
Future Drummer

Smile is a nice surprise in the encore, into Black. Always happy to hear that. Then Alive. Is that it? :(

That was a great show but the short encores feel so anticlimactic sadly.

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live