The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post subject: Re: Best show tournament?
PostPosted: Sun October 21, 2018 2:36 am 
Major Dude

liebzz wrote:
No Slim’s Cafe San Francisco 5/13/93. I believe the crew picked the set list. The show was excellent, at least from what I remember of the bootlegs.

Setlist: Animal, Go, Even Flow, Blood, Daughter/WMA,
Dissident, Why Go, Alive, Hard to Imagine, Rearviewmirror, Better Man, Dirty Frank, Rats, Baba O’Riley, Once, Jeremy, Porch/Tearing, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Release, Alone, Whipping, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Leash, Sonic Reducer (as per pearl jam.com tour history section).

I don't think the crew picked this. This was a one-off surprise show played either during or right after Vs. was recorded.

PostPosted: Sun October 21, 2018 2:42 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

tragabigzanda wrote:
Including any shows post-2006 seems like an unnecessary exercise in diplomatic inclusion

I’d probably bring that date back by six years, even longer if I were being very brutally honest.

PostPosted: Wed October 24, 2018 5:32 am 
mXn

In theory this is a great tourney idea but you guys are too fucking psycho for it to be any fun.

We should do a tourney of the shows I have personally attended. Who’s in?

PostPosted: Wed October 24, 2018 3:17 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Bammer wrote:
In theory this is a great tourney idea but you guys are too fucking psycho for it to be any fun.

We should do a tourney of the shows I have personally attended. Who’s in?

Missoula 2018.

/tourney

PostPosted: Wed October 24, 2018 5:53 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Birds in Hell wrote:
Portland and the fourth Universal City (LA) show from the 2009 USA tour are also fantastic, and I also remember also enjoying some of the pre-album release shows.

Yeah, I just recently listened to that Portland (Ridgefield, WA) show. It's super high-energy and the band actually sounds like they're excited to be playing the new songs. Seven out of the 17 songs in the main set are from Backspacer, which makes it pretty unique. It's strange to say, but it has the feel of a 1998 show: not super long, outdoors, band having fun, high dose of songs from the new album. Not saying I'd rank it with the '98 shows, but it at least gets close to capturing that spirit.

PostPosted: Thu October 25, 2018 4:06 am 
mXn

delanoche wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Portland and the fourth Universal City (LA) show from the 2009 USA tour are also fantastic, and I also remember also enjoying some of the pre-album release shows.

Yeah, I just recently listened to that Portland (Ridgefield, WA) show. It's super high-energy and the band actually sounds like they're excited to be playing the new songs. Seven out of the 17 songs in the main set are from Backspacer, which makes it pretty unique. It's strange to say, but it has the feel of a 1998 show: not super long, outdoors, band having fun, high dose of songs from the new album. Not saying I'd rank it with the '98 shows, but it at least gets close to capturing that spirit.

I was there and I never crossed enemy lines into the state of 0regon. I pumped my own damn gas the whole time. This show was not in Portland.

PostPosted: Thu October 25, 2018 4:08 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

Bammer wrote:
delanoche wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

I was there and I never crossed enemy lines into the state of 0regon. I pumped my own damn gas the whole time. This show was not in Portland.

Sorry, I am responsible for this geographical blunder.

PostPosted: Thu October 25, 2018 3:43 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Birds in Hell wrote:
Bammer wrote:
delanoche wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

Sorry, I am responsible for this geographical blunder.

You could blame the band. The official mp3s say Portland.

PostPosted: Thu October 25, 2018 7:11 pm 
tl;dr

I know it's an unpopular opinion but I really enjoy, and have always really enjoyed, the 2009-10 shows. It might just be positive vibes from that time period -- newly-ish married, kids were babies, etc. -- but I enjoyed collecting these boots as they were released and was thrilled by some of the breakouts -- in particular, it was the first time some of deep "Yield" tracks had been played in quite a few years, and generally speaking I thought they sounded pretty good! The "Backspacer" tunes occupied a spot that was proportionate to the space they occupy in their catalog as a whole, sprinkled in for flavor rather than used as anchors.

The only Philly show that is a flat-out dud to me is night 2 -- too many disastrous performances. The others feel more or less consistent to me with the other shows from the time -- sometimes ragged, sometimes great, but spirited and overall pretty solid.

The 2011 PJ20 and Canada shows were where I started losing interest, and after that my enthusiasm subsides considerably. From what I've heard, I agree that 2014 is the best year of the "LB" era.

PostPosted: Thu October 25, 2018 7:30 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Kevin Davis wrote:
I know it's an unpopular opinion but I really enjoy, and have always really enjoyed, the 2009-10 shows. It might just be positive vibes from that time period -- newly-ish married, kids were babies, etc. -- but I enjoyed collecting these boots as they were released and was thrilled by some of the breakouts -- in particular, it was the first time some of deep "Yield" tracks had been played in quite a few years, and generally speaking I thought they sounded pretty good! The "Backspacer" tunes occupied a spot that was proportionate to the space they occupy in their catalog as a whole, sprinkled in for flavor rather than used as anchors.

The only Philly show that is a flat-out dud to me is night 2 -- too many disastrous performances. The others feel more or less consistent to me with the other shows from the time -- sometimes ragged, sometimes great, but spirited and overall pretty solid.

The 2011 PJ20 and Canada shows were where I started losing interest, and after that my enthusiasm subsides considerably. From what I've heard, I agree that 2014 is the best year of the "LB" era.

I can agree with most of this. I think my favorite LB tour year so far is 2016 having heard Philly 2 (the Ten show), MSG shows, Telluride, and the Wrigley Field shows.

PostPosted: Thu October 25, 2018 9:27 pm 
AnalLog

Kevin Davis wrote:

I remember listening to one of the LA shows from 2009 and really enjoying it, for the same reasons you stated. Ben Harper on Red Mosquito helped!

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live