The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ways PJ Can Improve Live Shows
PostPosted: Wed October 10, 2018 6:31 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Didn't we decide that the "come early" post was made by the venue, and not the band? So maybe the venue anticipated a slow fill up so they got people there early for an on time 8:30 start

PostPosted: Wed October 10, 2018 7:46 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Or they can stop playing Fenway and play somewhere where the curfew is not so early.

PostPosted: Wed October 10, 2018 9:15 pm 
Future Drummer

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Didn't we decide that the "come early" post was made by the venue, and not the band? So maybe the venue anticipated a slow fill up so they got people there early for an on time 8:30 start

So the band has no ability to tweet out "Actually we are starting at 8"? There was tons of talk on twitter and the official forum about this, so nobody communicated with the band at all? Or they couldn't have gone out early when they saw that everybody was there?

Anyways, my only point is nobody will ever show up on time for a Pearl Jam show when they've consistently proven you'd have to be stupid to do so

PostPosted: Thu October 11, 2018 5:13 am 
mXn

Is this still a thing?

PostPosted: Thu October 11, 2018 1:32 pm 
Gone

They should scrap the whole three hour show with shitty rarities we practiced once approach and play the same 20 songs every night. Ed wouldn't be allowed to drink and no Boom. Ten club members would be turned away at the gate (that would be Booms new job).

PostPosted: Thu October 11, 2018 1:59 pm 
The Master

verb_to_trust wrote:
They should scrap the whole three hour show with shitty rarities we practiced once approach and play the same 20 songs every night. Ed wouldn't be allowed to drink and no Boom. Ten club members would be turned away at the gate (that would be Booms new job).

I wouldn't be against a 20-25 song set with a regular rotation of 50-60 songs or so per tour. Mix up the size of the venues as well.

PostPosted: Thu October 11, 2018 2:12 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Monkey_Driven wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

I wouldn't be against a 20-25 song set with a regular rotation of 50-60 songs or so per tour. Mix up the size of the venues as well.

I would stop seeing them live if it was the same set every night. Just like I am contented having seen the Foo Fighters knowing I have nothing left to see of them, so would I feel the same if Pearl Jam did the same canned set every night.

PostPosted: Thu October 11, 2018 3:10 pm 
The Master

liebzz wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

I would stop seeing them live if it was the same set every night. Just like I am contented having seen the Foo Fighters knowing I have nothing left to see of them, so would I feel the same if Pearl Jam did the same canned set every night.

I wouldn't want the 20-25 songs to be the same every night like verb suggests. Just have the total song back to be smaller so versions could be tighter. Make each leg sort of unique.

PostPosted: Thu October 11, 2018 3:26 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I do agree with the venue choices being mixed up. I haven’t gone to any stadium shows they have put on and probably never will, but in large part because the stadium shows I have seen just seemed too big. It might be more convenient and an easy money maker, but the experience is just not the same.

An example for me is I have seen Springsteen with the E Street Band 4 times - once at the Nassau Coliseum, twice at Madison Square Garden, and once at Giants Stadium. Of the 4, the latter should have been the best considering they were playing the last shows ever at that old stadium and playing Born in the USA in full. It ended up being the least fun of these shows precisely because it was such a big place and even his energy couldn’t translate as well there. The most fun show, in contrast, was at Nassau coliseum.

PostPosted: Thu October 11, 2018 5:46 pm 
Future Drummer

Monkey_Driven wrote:
liebzz wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

I wouldn't want the 20-25 songs to be the same every night like verb suggests. Just have the total song back to be smaller so versions could be tighter. Make each leg sort of unique.

They've been playing the same songs for 20 years, if it's not tight by now idk what to say.

PostPosted: Fri October 12, 2018 3:09 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Maybe it is because of the smaller tours, but I feel as though the band has changed their mindset relatively recently when it comes to playing "the hits". I haven't gone back and checked the numbers, but I feel like through the 2008 tour or so, you knew you were going to hear some of the massive hits, but you weren't going to hear all of them. Jeremy was only played once every four or five shows it seemed. Betterman, Black, Do the Evolution, Small Town, and Given to Fly weren't guaranteed every night. Neither was Alive. Only Even Flow and Corduroy, plus the latest album rocker (Grievance, Save You, Fixer, etc.) were "guaranteed", and even that was only like 90% of the time. You would always hear enough of those (plus other radio hits like Dissident, Wishlist and Last Kiss) to make a casual fan happy, but not all of them.

Now, it seems as though every show you are going to get Alive, Even Flow, Jeremy, Small Town, Betterman, DTE, Given to Fly, and Mind Your Manners no matter what. Plus Porch and Rearviewmirror. That's 10 songs right there, a third of the set. It's very Bruce Springsteen of them in set creation, and while the sets still vary night to night, it's not as much as varied it used to be.

Fan Favorite songs that used to be played semi-regularly, like Grievance, Insignificance, MFC, Hail Hail, Last Exit, etc., are now played just once or twice a tour. They need to get these songs back into the regular rotation in place of some of the massive hits. I don't think it would decrease the level of enjoyment of casual fans, and would greatly improve the enjoyment of the hardcore fans.

I feel like the band's mindset, whether it is to sell bootlegs or just because they feel as though they have to do it, is to try to play every song in their catalog once per tour. Obviously they don't ever hit that. They need to get back to the 2000, 2003, and 2006 mentality where they take a large subsection of their catalog and rotate through them regularly. Then sprinkle in a rarity every now and then. It worked for years...not sure why they changed it up, other than the tours got shorter.

PostPosted: Fri October 12, 2018 8:06 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

There is a general Springsteen-esque vibe to the sets on the recent tours and it's terrible (like Bruce Springsteen).

PostPosted: Fri October 12, 2018 11:32 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Birds in Hell wrote:
There is a general Springsteen-esque vibe to the sets on the recent tours and it's terrible (like Bruce Springsteen).

I've never felt closer to you

PostPosted: Fri October 12, 2018 11:34 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

I've never felt closer to you

can i get in on this?

PostPosted: Sat October 13, 2018 1:55 pm 
The Master

:(

PostPosted: Sat October 13, 2018 2:02 pm 

sorry, friend. I could just never get into Springsteen.

PostPosted: Sat October 13, 2018 8:30 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

If I were to rank the bands I have seen live, even in his 60s, I would take Springsteen at #2 behind Pearl Jam.

PostPosted: Sat October 13, 2018 8:34 pm 

liebzz wrote:
If I were to rank the bands I have seen live, even in his 60s, I would take Springsteen at #2 behind Pearl Jam.

While I love Pearl Jam live, they are my favorite band and I have seen many of their shows, I'm not sure any of them would be in my top ten of the hundreds of concerts I've been to.

PostPosted: Sat October 13, 2018 9:39 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
liebzz wrote:

While I love Pearl Jam live, they are my favorite band and I have seen many of their shows, I'm not sure any of them would be in my top ten of the hundreds of concerts I've been to.

Oh I definitely would. Most of the best shows I have seen have been Pearl Jam shows.

PostPosted: Sat October 13, 2018 10:18 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
liebzz wrote:

except Missoula though, right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live