The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Ways PJ Can Improve Live Shows
PostPosted: Fri October 19, 2018 12:59 am 
Looks Like a Cat

I’d much rather hear songs from Ten than dreary classic rock covers.

PostPosted: Fri October 19, 2018 1:00 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

#metoo

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Fri October 19, 2018 7:46 pm 
Future Drummer

Covers are only cool if its new songs, nobody wants to hear Eddie sing the Who for the 500th time

PostPosted: Fri October 19, 2018 9:36 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

New covers are usually a waste of time, they don't do anything interesting with them.

I'd be happy if they never played any covers other than Baba O'Riley, RITFW and Fuckin' Up, at least there's a sense of tradition and continuity associated with them.

PostPosted: Fri October 19, 2018 9:40 pm 
Poster of the Year

They should cover Taylor Swift's State of Grace.

PostPosted: Fri October 19, 2018 9:44 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

cutuphalfdead wrote:

They should bring back the variety in Daughter tags, like 1998 (Madonna's Ray of Light, etc.)

PostPosted: Fri October 19, 2018 9:45 pm 
Future Drummer

Birds in Hell wrote:
New covers are usually a waste of time, they don't do anything interesting with them.

I'd be happy if they never played any covers other than Baba O'Riley, RITFW and Fuckin' Up, at least there's a sense of tradition and continuity associated with them.

Replace RITFW with Masters of War and I'm ok

PostPosted: Fri October 19, 2018 9:45 pm 
Poster of the Year

Birds in Hell wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

They should bring back the variety in Daughter tags, like 1998 (Madonna's Ray of Light, etc.)

And I fuh-heel, like I ju-hust guh-hot home.

PostPosted: Fri October 19, 2018 9:46 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

mikejasond wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

Replace RITFW with Masters of War and I'm ok

They first played Masters of War in 1992 (kind of), so I'll allow it.

PostPosted: Sat October 20, 2018 5:17 am 
AnalLog

Its definitely not a problem of too many covers, its a problem of too many covers of songs we either don't like (Arms Aloft, Public Image) or covers of songs that just don't seem to work (Rain from the Beatles, or either of the Floyd covers. Those were both cool the first time or two but now they just kinda suck 6+ mins out of the set list)

Hey Baby from Hendrix should get in the mix as a double tribute to Jimi and CCornell. OR just about any other Hendrix song, Little Wing is great, but Jimi has SO MANY OTHER SONGS.

As for the setlists, i think they actually mix it up TOO much. So many of the shows just have no flow. I would work themes into the shows more... do a run of songs that go together. Like, Force of Nature / Lightning Bolt / Of the Earth. Or Breakerfall / Save You / Life Wasted.

Ditch the forced audience call / responce. Leave that up to the Foo Fighters

Experiment with songs more. RVM, and Porch are the only songs that really get extended, but even their jams are starting to feel old. Save You has a perfect spot for a bass solo, or try out some different arrangements like the Bridge School Corduroy or the Alt Jeremy.

PostPosted: Sat October 20, 2018 5:38 am 
Looks Like a Cat

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
Hey Baby from Hendrix should get in the mix as a double tribute to Jimi and CCornell.

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
As for the setlists, i think they actually mix it up TOO much. So many of the shows just have no flow.

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
Ditch the forced audience call / responce. Leave that up to the Foo Fighters

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
Experiment with songs more. RVM, and Porch are the only songs that really get extended, but even their jams are starting to feel old. Save You has a perfect spot for a bass solo, or try out some different arrangements like the Bridge School Corduroy or the Alt Jeremy.

I strongly agree with all of this, but:

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
Its definitely not a problem of too many covers, its a problem of too many covers of songs we either don't like (Arms Aloft, Public Image) or covers of songs that just don't seem to work (Rain from the Beatles, or either of the Floyd covers.

I really do think they play too many covers. 7-8 per show is just too many, no matter what they are.

PostPosted: Wed November 14, 2018 2:31 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I definitely agree with the setlists becoming a bit too formulaic. Last couple of shows, pretty much knew what the encores were going to be. And while they sounded great and I thoroughly enjoyed the shows, took away from the whole, "what's next?" aspect.
I found the boot of the first PJ only show (Noblesville 98 - only seen them at Lolla up to this point) and listened to it. Honestly had forgotten a lot of the setlist, (I blame the smurf houses I had that night :) ) but upon listening was very surprised at the flow and how much more I enjoyed it. For example, RVM and Alive were both in the first set and neither one was the closer. I remember upon hearing RVM thinking "what a short main set. don't remember it being that short". I don't know, as many others have stated, I do wish they mixed up what they played in the encores a lot more.

For reference here's the entire set list:
1. Long Road
2. Hail Hail
3. Brain of J.
4. Last Exit
5. Given to Fly
6. Corduroy
7. MFC
8. Jeremy (Not full song - sang "President spoke in class today" This was the day of the Clinton deposition regarding Monica Lewsinsky)
9. Immortality
10. Even Flow
11. Nothingman
12. Rearviewmirror
13. Wishlist
14. In Hiding
15. Spin the Black Circle
16. Alive
17. Go

Encore:
18. Better Man (dedicated to Hillary Clinton;… more )
19. Daughter
20. Do the Evolution
21. Leaving Here

Encore 2:
Yellow Ledbetter

PostPosted: Thu November 15, 2018 2:34 pm 
tl;dr

I think the thing that really strikes me about that set is the simple absence of songs I'd be unhappy to hear. For as many criticisms as have been leveled at PJ's live set in recent years, I wonder if the biggest thing for me isn't simply the fact that I really just don't enjoy most of the "Lightning Bolt" songs, or their cover choices. That, to my mind, disrupts the "flow" more than anything else.

PostPosted: Tue November 20, 2018 3:13 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PJ should adopt the other two members of SG into their band and play with 3 stretch 4 guitarists and 2 basses

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Tue November 20, 2018 3:32 am 
The Master

Kevin Davis wrote:
I think the thing that really strikes me about that set is the simple absence of songs I'd be unhappy to hear. For as many criticisms as have been leveled at PJ's live set in recent years, I wonder if the biggest thing for me isn't simply the fact that I really just don't enjoy most of the "Lightning Bolt" songs, or their cover choices. That, to my mind, disrupts the "flow" more than anything else.

That's why the last few tours have been disappointing to me despite the band sounding pretty good (too many covers).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live