The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post subject: Re: Let's talk about the 1996 tour
PostPosted: Thu August 23, 2018 10:08 pm 
The Master

Geezes christ 10club release a 96 show for the vault series.

PostPosted: Thu August 23, 2018 10:37 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Strat wrote:
I remember watching a shitty VHS recording of the Toronto 96 show. There was this incredible version of jeremy where during the outro..."hoo hoo hoo hoo he he ho hoho" jack irons kind of stopped drumming and just hit the kick drum and cymbal crashes while the band kept hammering away....and then coming back in for a big finish.

I loved that.

There's a few similar dynamic flourishes Jack added to the older material I really loved, like when he used to switch to the toms during the final Alive solo for a few bars before kicking back in to the normal cymbal thing, or when he'd switch to the ride cymbal during the last chorus of Last Exit before that little breakdown right before the outro.

PostPosted: Thu August 23, 2018 10:40 pm 
Poster of the Year

Strat wrote:
here we go. Bup

PostPosted: Thu August 23, 2018 10:43 pm 
The Master

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Strat wrote:
here we go. Bup

Thanks chud.

I was trying to link exactly to that jeremy moment

PostPosted: Thu August 23, 2018 10:47 pm 
Poster of the Year

Strat wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Strat wrote:
here we go. Bup

Thanks chud.

I was trying to link exactly to that jeremy moment

can't be done here

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 12:01 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

oasisfan35 wrote:
BootsToAsses wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
dad wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Self wrote:
I was at the Augusta, ME show. Crazy small venue for a band that big. One of the best concerts I've ever been to.

i was here too, my first PJ concert. Still holding out hope for a soundboard someday.

There’s a pretty decent recording is this, right?

i've just got a crowdsource, i'm not really a fan of those

The AUD MIX of this show sounds pretty damn good.

Is this floating around somewhere?

Check your PMs.

is this what's available on pearljambootlegs.org? their version sounds pretty decent for a crowd recording.

98 Hartford, 03 West Palm Beach, 03 NYC 1, 03 NYC 2, 03 Holmdel, 04 Reading, 05 Philadelphia, 06 San Diego, 06 LA 1, 06 LA 2, 09 LA 1, 09 LA 2, 09 LA 3, 09 LA 4, 13 LA 1, 13 LA 2, 16 Boston 1, 16 Boston 2, 18 Seattle 1, 18 Seattle 2

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 12:56 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Randall's Island 1 was also my first PJ show. Went with my friend who is my PJ concert partner to this day.

It was a little overwhelming at 16. Last Exit started and it just erupted down front. There were a lot of bodies down in front, very tightly packed in spots. There were times where I just felt like I was swaying in the direction of the crowd. I also didn't realize how hard it had rained until the end.

Late in the show, someone boosted me up on top of the crowd during "Alive". As a teenager, it felt like the first time I started to understand what I thought could be a cathartic experience. I've seen other moments with this band that are pretty well-regarded in terms of the band's mythology, but this particular moment is one of the most important on a personal level.

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 1:01 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Strat wrote:

Preferably something that hasn't been bootlegged in full for years from radio broadcasts. I wouldn't mind something that doesn't circulate unofficially and comes from their own master tape. I feel if we wish for something as-is -- no fuck up edits, removal of songs, etc -- that we are asking too much.

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 1:17 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Strat wrote:
I remember watching a shitty VHS recording of the Toronto 96 show. There was this incredible version of jeremy where during the outro..."hoo hoo hoo hoo he he ho hoho" jack irons kind of stopped drumming and just hit the kick drum and cymbal crashes while the band kept hammering away....and then coming back in for a big finish.

I loved that.

I had that show on vhs too. I remember watching in the common room (or day room) of the dorms of the base I was stationed. A guy at a record shop gave me a copy of it along with the outrageously overpriced discs for the Atlanta ‘94 set I bought.

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 4:31 am 
Future Drummer

shakescky wrote:
Strat wrote:

Preferably something that hasn't been bootlegged in full for years from radio broadcasts. I wouldn't mind something that doesn't circulate unofficially and comes from their own master tape. I feel if we wish for something as-is -- no fuck up edits, removal of songs, etc -- that we are asking too much.

11/25/1996 Last night of the tour...

Perfectly amazing setlist, performance, and crowd!

Played B/R/Y the night before, though... Sorry to have missed that one.

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 4:46 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

istanbul 96 would be a great one to release if they have it, ed mentioned it recently(ish) as a special show....

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 11:56 am 

I'd kill for a '96 Vault realease, just so we can have a decent version of Hail, Hail to listen to. That song hasn't been played right since Matt took over. I love MC but he's fucked Hail, Hail in the ass since 1998.

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 1:43 pm 
The Master

BootsToAsses wrote:
I'd kill for a '96 Vault realease, just so we can have a decent version of Hail, Hail to listen to. That song hasn't been played right since Matt took over. I love MC but he's fucked Hail, Hail in the ass since 1998.

yep

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 2:02 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

they could release the entire tour - warts and all - and i'd be happy. give me a five minute rearviewmirror, a five minute even flow, a 90 minute to 2hr show of tight sets.

i'm listening to the budapest show from that tour right now, and it's fantastic. a very good performance of black red yellow, and porch...goddamn...a really great version.

we're due for a no code vault release.

PostPosted: Fri August 24, 2018 3:28 pm 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that some bass accompanying Ed in his pretty Immortality prelude in the Toronto show?

PostPosted: Sat August 25, 2018 5:36 pm 

I had that Toronto VHS as well. I think it was my first bootleg video.

This has been a great thread. It's been a while since I've revisited this tour, and this has been a great reason to pull up some of these shows.

PostPosted: Fri August 31, 2018 5:20 pm 
Major Dude

My third PJ show. 10/4 Charlotte. Gloria Steinem came out and told everybody not to vote for Jesse Helms.

PostPosted: Thu September 06, 2018 10:46 pm 
AnalLog

10/5/96 - Charleston Coliseum (9,000)

set: Sometimes, Last Exit, Animal, Go, Hail Hail, Dissident, In My Tree, Corduroy, Better Man, Not for You, Jeremy, Black, State of Love and Trust, Habit, Rearviewmirror, Elderly Woman, Alive, Blood/(Fame)
enc: Present Tense, Even Flow, Daughter, Improv, Off He Goes, Mankind, Whipping, Footsteps, Yellow Ledbetter

I was a freshman in college and just at the beginning of getting into rock n roll. I knew Pearl Jam was one of the biggest bands in the world and starting around January had bought their first 3 albums and a few singles. It was all I listened to. I didn't know much about the band but I knew they were fighting ticketmaster. Some morning in August, I called the 1-800 number and ordered tickets over the phone.

Charleston Coliseum is small. The stage was simple. It was loud and powerful. I wouldn't change the order or selection of songs. It felt like you were seeing something special.

What left clear impressions: SoLaT, Alive, Ed's story about Pete Townshend's initials being the inspiration that helped him write the lyrics for Present Tense, the song Ed wrote for the show that day, Footsetps and Blood. Blood>Fame in 1996 might be the highlight of the tour. Unbelievable. Finally, Ed saying it must be hard to like the band sometimes and he appreciated us all for doing so.

I feel lucky to have started with this show. It's like the best of 94 and 98 thrown together.

Go listen to Blood!

"This Blood's for you South Carolina"

https://www.pearljambootlegs.org/module ... D&ext.html

PostPosted: Fri September 07, 2018 2:25 pm 

I listened to that Charleston show today. Thanks for sharing your story.

Nowadays we would call Eddie's voice a bit rough when he sings like that, but it actually sounds great. Loved Blood. Loved the pure versions of In My Tree & Present Tense.

There's a bit a dark feeling around the show, a little mystique. Great. Love that era.

PostPosted: Fri October 05, 2018 3:25 am 
Broken Tamborine

10/04/96 – Memorial Stadium: Charlotte, NC [140m]
attendance: 25,000
support act: The Fastbacks, Ben Harper
soundcheck: Throw Your Arms Around Me, Better Man
set: Long Road, Last Exit, Animal, Spin the Black Circle, Hail Hail, In My Tree, Corduroy, Lukin, Not for You, Jeremy, Better Man, Red Mosquito, Black, State of Love and Trust, (MFC riffs), Habit, Rearviewmirror, Immortality, Alive, Porch
enc 1: Who You Are, Even Flow, Whipping, I Got Shit, Leaving Here, Daughter/(The Real Me)/(Noise of Carpet)/(The Real Me)
enc 2: Yellow Ledbetter

My first show, 22 years ago tonight. Top five for me still due to sentimentality, but also because it's pretty much a perfect show, from both a setlist and performance perspective. That short U.S. '96 run had a lot of similarities in the setlists, but each show had moments that make it a standout. There's some great clips from MTV from this show, and I've always held out hope that some full video/audio of some songs would surface...

Starts at the 4:00 mark here:

I'm guessing they didn't record any full shows from this tour, otherwise we'd have a vault release by now. But there's gotta be enough to do a compilation or something.

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live