Switch to full style
Discuss your favorite shows, tours, concert posters...
Post a reply

Re: 2018-08-20: Chicago, Illinois

Tue August 21, 2018 4:27 pm

Heyfoxymophandlecolumbusareafangonemissing, that's me

Tue August 21, 2018 4:27 pm

I Am Hank

Tue August 21, 2018 4:28 pm

Dan Reis Captain

Tue August 21, 2018 4:28 pm

Got Some Announcements

Tue August 21, 2018 4:29 pm

Strat wrote:Dan Reis Captain

:lol:

Tue August 21, 2018 4:30 pm

All Those Stickies

**psst** the Evolution

Strat wrote:All Those Stickies

:nice:

Tue August 21, 2018 4:31 pm

Missing Pearl Jam Fan Behind The Counter in Columbus

Tue August 21, 2018 4:34 pm

Strat wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:I get that we’re talking about a bunch of dudes who are used to mist and drizzles, but one of these years they’ll figure out how thunderstorms work and won’t play Wrigley during the middle of th summer

I hope this happening again made them realize the fucking hassle of these outdoor stadium shows and just go back to.....doing whatever else they do these days.

I think the stadium shows are more money for less work, so that might cancel out the hassle of dealing with the weather.

Tue August 21, 2018 4:36 pm

“Play Brazil”

Once I was sitting in the sand
Looked at my open empty hand
The ones I’ve loved have disappeared
All those things I’d always feared
Never thought I’d make it through
Never would have without you
Never thought I’d love and feel
That was until we played Brazil

Tue August 21, 2018 4:37 pm

numbers wrote:
Strat wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:I get that we’re talking about a bunch of dudes who are used to mist and drizzles, but one of these years they’ll figure out how thunderstorms work and won’t play Wrigley during the middle of th summer

I hope this happening again made them realize the fucking hassle of these outdoor stadium shows and just go back to.....doing whatever else they do these days.

I think the stadium shows are more money for less work, so that might cancel out the hassle of dealing with the weather.

Im curious about this. I know its a good assumption that this is more bang for their buck but the whole fucking operation is a massive ordeal. I gotta imagine they are spending an equal amount more on these stadium shows. They are 2-4 day events with merch, setup, crew, city take over and god knows what else goes on. The missoula show had bands, and speakers, and vendors, and all sorts of other shit that im sure pearl jam had to pay for.

Im curious, for sure.

Tue August 21, 2018 4:40 pm

Only thing I can think of is that the stadium shows are essentially the same set up over and over and over again. They’re all essentially the same venue. But arenas can all be different. Different shapes, support structures, lighting and speaker rigs

I really have no idea what I’m talking about

Tue August 21, 2018 4:40 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:Heyfoxymophandlecolumbusareafangonemissing, that's me

Good work right here

Tue August 21, 2018 4:44 pm

Strat wrote:
numbers wrote:
Strat wrote:

Im curious about this. I know its a good assumption that this is more bang for their buck but the whole fucking operation is a massive ordeal. I gotta imagine they are spending an equal amount more on these stadium shows. They are 2-4 day events with merch, setup, crew, city take over and god knows what else goes on. The missoula show had bands, and speakers, and vendors, and all sorts of other shit that im sure pearl jam had to pay for.

Im curious, for sure.

Yeah, I mean I assume they are making more money this way or they wouldn’t be doing it, but I don’t really know.

Tue August 21, 2018 4:57 pm

numbers wrote:
Strat wrote:
numbers wrote:
Strat wrote:

Im curious, for sure.

Yeah, I mean I assume they are making more money this way or they wouldn’t be doing it, but I don’t really know.

I would be shocked if they didnt make back the stadium rental fees by poster sales alone. Not joking.

Tue August 21, 2018 5:02 pm

to strat's point, i think the MT shows were probably far cheaper: cheaper college stadium, staffed by college students; lots of non-profits and local bands outside who probably didn't make a dime for showing up.

Tue August 21, 2018 5:20 pm

Bi_3 wrote:
numbers wrote:
Strat wrote:
numbers wrote:
Strat wrote:

Im curious, for sure.

I would be shocked if they didnt make back the stadium rental fees by poster sales alone. Not joking.

i don't know what the poster runs are, but with multiple posters per show, i'd assume it's safe to say that they printed at least 5000 total. i'm sure it's way more. but at $35/pop, that's $175k. take out the artists' cuts, and you still have a sizable pile of straight cash there

Tue August 21, 2018 5:33 pm

Speaking of multiple stadium shows. In Missoula Ed was talking about politics and mentioned about supporting people that believe in science and global warming..... At first thought, I was thinking that their huge crew with a bunch of trucks and buses would use less emissions by doing multiple shows.

But the more I thought of it, playing 2 night stands to 50,000 encourages people, like me to travel. Lots of people, like me, flew from the east coast to Seattle then I flew to Missoula. Multiply this by how many people did the same and I am not sure there was a net reduction.

Looking at all those trucks idling and the cooled container trucks that ran a/c compressors that store ice, beer, etc. it got me thinking of how much wasted fuel was burned due to the shows and how we/they could do better.

Tue August 21, 2018 5:37 pm

stompbox wrote:Speaking of multiple stadium shows. In Missoula Ed was talking about politics and mentioned about supporting people that believe in science and global warming..... At first thought, I was thinking that their huge crew with a bunch of trucks and buses would use less emissions by doing multiple shows.

But the more I thought of it, playing 2 night stands to 50,000 encourages people, like me to travel. Lots of people, like me, flew from the east coast to Seattle then I flew to Missoula. Multiply this by how many people did the same and I am not sure there was a net reduction.

Looking at all those trucks idling and the cooled container trucks that ran a/c compressors that store ice, beer, etc. it got me thinking of how much wasted fuel was burned due to the shows and how we/they could do better.

they offset their carbon footprint on every tour though
Post a reply