The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post subject: Lets Talk About the 2005 Tour
PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2013 12:27 am 
A Return To Form
 WWW  Profile

My buddy and I always joked that someday Pearl Jam would play a tour with stops in Buffalo, Toronto, Hamilton, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Youngstown. It was this dream itinerary that would get us to a bunch of shows with limited travel and not be that expensive. When the Canadian tour was announced it was sort of like that. Kitchener, London, and Hamilton, Toronto, and ultimately Pittsburgh were all really close to one of our houses. We planned out the Kitchener, London, Hamilton run and then of course planned on Toronto. I had been to Montreal in 2000 and 2003 so I decided to hit Ottawa this time. I went to the Pittsburgh show because my buddy lives in Pittsburgh and because PNC Park kicks ass. Then when the Borgata was announced we jumped on the opportunity. We got tickets to night one but had to pay out the nose for night two on the secondary market. I cant remember what we paid but it was more than the $150 that I paid for Buffalo 96.

Kitchener- It was 9/11, it was opening day of football season, and their was a Pearl Jam concert to get to. I left Buffalo with my friend Don, his wife and brother, my 2000 tour companion Mike, and my friend from Pittsburgh Matt. We stopped at a Jack Astor's somewhere along the QEW to watch football. I am a huge Saints game and it was the first of 16 road games the Saints would play after Katrina. After the Saints beat the Panther we went the rest of the way to Kitchener. It was a good thing we got a good meal at Jack Astor's because downtown Kitchener was closed. We stumbled into an overwhelmed sub joint and had to settle for that. The venue was really cool. It is the home of the Kitchener Rangers and is an old school hockey arena. The show was good but not great. A good start to what was ahead. Long Road was the opener and Leatherman was a good surprise.

London- London was a really cool city. I had worked hockey schools over the summer with a Canadian kid that went to Western a Canadian college notorious for a good time. He met us down there and I remember being blown away by the arena. This time we were in the home of the London Knights and the place was beautiful. I sat in some killer 10C seats with my buddy Matt who has the best number of all of us. He always gets killer seats. Before the show we were entertained by 2 brothers from Chicago who were clearly "enjoying" themselves and enjoyed arguing about the Chicago Bears. Oceans was a beautiful start and it was the first time I heard it since my very first show, Buffalo 96. There was this guy next to us at some point who said he had a 4 digit 10C number but gave his first row seats to someone else because he likes to walk around during shows. When they started playing Black, Red, Yellow he turned to me and asked what song it was. It goes to show just because you have been in the club for a while doesn't mean you are a huge fan. I bet he posts on this board. Hard to Imagine was a great surprise and it really brought down the joint. Hard to Imagine is way up there on my underrated PJ list. Five star Pearl Jam show, easily in my top 20.

Hamilton- Hamilton is close to Buffalo and besides the group that traveled to the previous shows a few more joined us at the Copps Coliseum. We stayed right at the hotel attached to the arena and wasted the day away at the mall that is also somehow attached. Hamilton is not the most beautiful city in Canada. The show was really good and included Sad. It was only the second time I had heard it and I was very excited. U was right after and I think that was my first time hearing it after a couple of close calls. I am not sure if I liked London or Hamilton better but they were both better than Kitchener.

Ottawa- I went to Ottawa with my buddy Mike who went with me to all the 2000 shows. It was good to be out on the road with Mike. This show was awesome. I bought the poster. I don't buy a lot of posters but this one was just too cool. Wash opened the show and Sleight of Hand is one of my favorites. I always like it when Stone sings and it was a fun change to hear Dont Gimme No Lip. Bee Girl was out of no where. It was my second time hearing I Believe in Miracles acoustic for the second time (Benaroya was first). Mike and I struck out with a couple of cute girls in the elevator before the show. An elevator is just not enough time to wheel. My only complaint is where the arena is located. Talk about ghost town.

Toronto- I was extra excited for this show because I got to take my youngest brother to his first Pearl Jam show. He was a freshman in high school and I picked him up in the parking lot and we made the drive to Toronto. We walked in and watched Ed play an acoustic version of Porch. Then we watched the Saints play their home opener in Giant Stadium against the Giants. It remains one of the biggest jokes in the history of the National Football League. Anthony and I went to our seats and I wasn't surprised that his first song was Release. I waited 21 shows for release and he got it first. He always reminds me that my first song was Oceans a song he still hasn't heard. If it wasn't for the special night with my brother this might be show 69 of 69 for me. I am not a huge U2 fan so Bono being there didn't blow me away. Leaving Here was a cool surprise.

Pittsburgh- Walked into PNC Park and saw Big Pete eating a huge plate of nachos. I really enjoyed Black. I was hoping they would play the best for all of the Rolling Stones fans. It was my first time seeing the Stones and I am glad I got the chance.

Borgada- This was an incredible experience. I got to see Atlantic City for the first time. I took pictures at Trump and stood in front of the entrance to the arena there the home of Wrestlemania IV and V. The boardwalk was cool and we ended up staying at Showboat because we spent so much money on night two tickets. The Borgata is obviously a princess in a world full of dragons out there. I didn't gamble much but ate like a kind. It was my first GA experience since 1998. I got the chance to creep towards the front and got good pictures both nights. The shows were great. Nothingman was incredible the second night. Sad was great the first night. Night 2 was on the 9 year anniversary of my first show. Breath>State of Love and Trust>Porch might be the best end to a first set I have seen. It was an amazing weekend in Atlantic City. I wish Pearl Jam would lose more bets.

Favorite Show: Borgada 2
Favorite Song: Nothingman Borgada 2
Best Seats: On the rail, Borgada 2
Best Crowd: Ottawa
Best Venue: Borgada
Best City: Londo
Worst City/Venue: Hamilton
Biggest Snub: Not ending the year with Yellow Ledbetter- I want that to be the last song I hear and it makes me nervous when it isnt.

Post subject: Re: Lets Talk About the 2005 Tour
PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2013 12:43 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Thanks, an enjoyable read as always.

The boot of that London show is really fantastic, what a great performance that night.

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2013 1:32 am 
AnalLog

Birds in Hell wrote:
Thanks, an enjoyable read as always.

The boot of that London show is really fantastic, what a great performance that night.

That's probably a top 10 bootleg for me. Maybe my favorite setlist ever. Lucky guy, you are!

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2013 9:05 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

London is amazing....the whole canadian tour is incredible.

The first night of BA is also amazing...rvm there...my god, Matt is on fire.

PostPosted: Fri March 29, 2013 3:31 am 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

I went to Montreal & Ottawa. Was within the first seven rows for both and couldn't hear shit for a couple days after. The latter gets more fan love but I give a slight advantage to the former and listen to that boot more. Loved Montreal as a city my brief time there. Ottawa? Um, uh. Yeah, the arena does kind of stand alone.
I had a fan club pair to Ottawa and sold my extra ticket to someone coming up from Jersey. She said she had Philly tickets and offered to swap her extra there for my extra to Ottawa. I gladly took her up on that and it worked out with no problems. Those three shows is probably the strongest 1-2-3 run I've had in my 40 Pearl Jam concert experiences.

PostPosted: Fri March 29, 2013 11:32 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Brainof23 wrote:
Ottawa- My only complaint is where the arena is located. Talk about ghost town.

Man, I remember that. That was nowhere. And it was pouring down after the show as well. I was so afraid my poster would get wet. I used my sweater & T-shirts to protect the poster and ended up soaking wet myself. Still, fantastic poster indeed. My favourite of my Canadian run.

Agree with you on London being amazing. Don't agree with Kitchener, but well, that was my first PJ show, so I can't talk neutral. Ottawa gets a lot of love, and it was absolutely a great show. But the general vibe at the Kitchener-London-Hamilton run was something unique.

(saw Kitchener-London-Hamilton-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto and had the time of my life)

PostPosted: Sun March 23, 2014 6:16 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Can anyone tell me what the best South American shows are from this tour? I want to download a few but I don't know what ones to start with.

PostPosted: Sun March 23, 2014 9:04 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Hugh Mungus wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the best South American shows are from this tour? I want to download a few but I don't know what ones to start with.

Buenos Aires, first night.

Also, second chilean night.

PostPosted: Sun March 23, 2014 9:08 pm 
Champion of RM

I attended Ottawa, Toronto and Philadelphia. I have the fondest memories of the Ottawa. Still one of the best shows I attended. I had fantastic wing seats - row 1 about 10 feet from Stone's side. I sold my extra to the touring van. It rained all day. I got absolutely drenched walking to dinner so I drove the short distance to the arena. Got a poster in the lobby and there was no line, ah the good ol' days. Walked it to my car and I didn't have to carry it throughout the show - a rarity back then. Thankfully the parking lot had these strange covered walkways so i was able to get it to my car dry. I was the first person in the arena grabbed a water at took my seat. I was stormed by security. No water bottles!!! I wouldn't give up my $5 water so I made them get me a cup. So odd this was noticed. It was the first time where a show I was at had a sound check that I was aware of before the show. I was most excited about the possibility of Wash. I always enjoyed the Wash umbrella story and the song itself. The show was very good. One of my personal favorites. Wash, Sleight of Hand and Bee Girl. Debut of Don't Gimme No Lip. Fantastic versions of Black and Crazy Mary. I thought the crowd was very chill, but that's fine with me. IMO the best show of the tour. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Toronto was the only show I attended where I was sick. I don't have fond memories of this show because of that. I still remember on my subway ride back to the hotel after the concert, a baby stroller with a baby got caught in the doors of the subway and the subway started moving. I was in that car. Scary. I think I'd like to go back someday.

Philadelphia remains the toughest ticket I ever tried for (and got). It took over 3 hours of refreshing that screen. What a cluster fuck. The 10c has come a long way. Great show, but the technical glitch killed the momentum. I was speechless at the back-to-back HTI and Crown of Thorns. Little Sister still seems like an out of place cover choice. One of the better shows I've attended.

PostPosted: Sun March 23, 2014 9:43 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Hugh Mungus wrote:

I think I used to like Rio but it's been a long time since I heard any of those shows.

They should put the 2005 shows up in FLAC, I'm not sure why they never have.

PostPosted: Mon March 24, 2014 1:37 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Thanks for the suggestions.
Yes, they really do need to release these shows in flac. To only have low quality mp3's is a bit of a joke.

PostPosted: Mon March 24, 2014 1:16 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Is there a way to enjoy the boots without the minigaps and without spending too much time on fixing it? I think this has been discussed somewhere...

PostPosted: Mon March 24, 2014 1:18 pm 
Champion of RM

SpectorHD wrote:
Is there a way to enjoy the boots without the minigaps and without spending too much time on fixing it? I think this has been discussed somewhere...

If you are burning to CD, a 25 frame cross fade is probably your best and easiest option.

PostPosted: Mon March 24, 2014 3:51 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

CopperTom wrote:
SpectorHD wrote:

If you are burning to CD, a 25 frame cross fade is probably your best and easiest option.

Thanks! Will try that.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:19 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

The official PJ site lists the 9-25-05 show as having Eleanor Rigby being played. Was this a full version or just a tag?

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:27 pm 
Poster of the Year

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
The official PJ site lists the 9-25-05 show as having Eleanor Rigby being played. Was this a full version or just a tag?

09/25/05 – Mile One Stadium, St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada
support act: Wintersleep
set: Elderly Woman…, Last Exit, Animal, State of Love and Trust, Hail Hail, Corduroy, Wishlist, Dissident, Even Flow, Insignificance, You Are, In My Tree, I Got Shit, Half Full, Black/(Eleanor Rigby), Go
first encore: Bee Girl, Man of The Hour, Crazy Mary, Alive
second encore: Light Years, Better Man, Jeremy, Rockin’ In The Free World
TFT Notes: “Black” ends with Ed tagging the chorus from The Beatles’ “Eleanor Rigby”. Last minute opening band “Wintersleep” joins the band for “Rockin’ in the Free World”.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:29 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Well that is disappointing

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:07 pm 
AnalLog

Saw Kitchner, London, Hamilton and Montreal. Those shows were in the days of being able to transfer tickets. I found this great guy from Atlanta who had been in the club since 1994. I was 4th row and closer each show with Hamilton being row 2. We met some great people and hung with them for the 4 shows. Even ran into a few out at the Gorge in 06.

I'm not in a poetic, prolific mood so this post won't be what it could, but those 4 shows might be the pinnacle of Pearl Jam for me. Lot's of repeats from night to night, and certainly not as tight as 2006, but it felt like the band had dropped all shackles. I remember back after the No Code tour, people complaining that they weren't confident enough to trust their audience with more No Code songs.

Here in 2005, no new album, no persona to try and keep going, just an amazing rock and roll band. Hearing some of those rarities and feeling the intensity with which they were playing. It felt like the relaxed joy of 2003 mixed with the intensity and intention of 2000.

The London setlist was crazy good, but the crowd wasn't as good as the other 3 shows.

Kitchner was a special experience to be with so few fans and get such a great show.

Hamilton was my favorite. 6th show in 7 days so I knew a big song would start, but Porch took everyone by surprise. Seeing friends we'd made over the 3 days freaking out and bouncing around was a cool experience. Very well played.

Montreal was great (loved the city), but I sure wish we stayed for Ottawa the next day. We left for my friends wedding back in North Carolina. I wasn't ready to leave and that friend ended up divorcing that girl anyway!

PostPosted: Fri July 08, 2016 12:07 pm 
Future Drummer

Is there any word at all if this tour is going to be released in CD form?

I wish they would fucking get on with it already. By the time they get around to it, I probably won't be interested anymore.

PostPosted: Fri July 08, 2016 2:34 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

cutuphalfdead wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

09/25/05 – Mile One Stadium, St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada
support act: Wintersleep
set: Elderly Woman…, Last Exit, Animal, State of Love and Trust, Hail Hail, Corduroy, Wishlist, Dissident, Even Flow, Insignificance, You Are, In My Tree, I Got Shit, Half Full, Black/(Eleanor Rigby), Go
first encore: Bee Girl, Man of The Hour, Crazy Mary, Alive
second encore: Light Years, Better Man, Jeremy, Rockin’ In The Free World
TFT Notes: “Black” ends with Ed tagging the chorus from The Beatles’ “Eleanor Rigby”. Last minute opening band “Wintersleep” joins the band for “Rockin’ in the Free World”.

The St. John's shows were very good...don't sleep on em'.

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live