The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: Cover of the Moment: Comfortably Numb
PostPosted: Wed August 22, 2018 3:06 pm 
Future Drummer

Is this just an excuse for Eddie to do his creepy old man voice? I hate that voice.

However, Mike is very good on this one

Post subject: Re: Comfortably Numb
PostPosted: Wed August 22, 2018 3:13 pm 
The Master

mikejasond wrote:
Is this just an excuse for Eddie to do his creepy old man voice? I hate that voice.

However, Mike is very good on this one

Stone is better.

PostPosted: Wed August 22, 2018 7:55 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

mikejasond wrote:

:lol:

I know exactly what you mean and now I'll never not be able to think about that description.

PostPosted: Wed August 22, 2018 7:56 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Birds in Hell wrote:
mikejasond wrote:

:lol:

I know exactly what you mean and now I'll never not be able to think about that description.

yeah, i hate that voice he does. he loves to do it during Crazy Mary

PostPosted: Wed August 22, 2018 8:58 pm 
Future Drummer

I hate so much when he does it during All Those Yesterdays

PostPosted: Wed August 22, 2018 10:59 pm 
A Return To Form
 WWW  Profile

Some songs just shouldn’t be covered. This is one of them. If you’re gonna do a Pink Floyd song, especially one of their most famous songs, you gotta put your own spin on it or you’re gonna sound like a cover band playing in a dive bar.

PostPosted: Thu August 23, 2018 1:07 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

pearl jam is a cover band tho

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Thu August 23, 2018 4:24 am 
10Club Complaint Department

And Wrigley is a dive bar

PostPosted: Thu August 23, 2018 4:38 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

I've found myself sympathizing with the cover-counting crew recently, as I think the total number of covers they're playing are too damn high (8-8-5-6-5 for the recent US shows). But if they are going to sprinkle 2-3 covers during the encores (keep that shit out of the main set), this is one I don't mind. Nothing original or inspired about their cover, really, that makes it "their own" but it's a great song and they play it well.

PostPosted: Thu August 23, 2018 4:48 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Simple Torture wrote:
I've found myself sympathizing with the cover-counting crew recently, as I think the total number of covers they're playing are too damn high (8-8-5-6-5 for the recent US shows). But if they are going to sprinkle 2-3 covers during the encores (keep that shit out of the main set), this is one I don't mind. Nothing original or inspired about their cover, really, that makes it "their own" but it's a great song and they play it well.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu August 23, 2018 1:28 pm 
tl;dr

This would be great if they had Stone singing Rog's part but as it is it's just another big dinosaur footprint that the band chooses to set up camp in every few nights. An utter bore.

PostPosted: Thu August 23, 2018 1:44 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

This wouldn't be so bad if it was the only cover. The problem is, they are now up to 5-8 covers a show. I see a lot of other concerts, and usually someone will throw in one cover, and I'm always like "that was cool that they played that Tom Petty song". But with PJ, almost every cover that comes on, I'm usually just standing there waiting for it to end. Then they just cover this without any kind of personal element to it, it gets old. There are a few exceptions, of course. I really enjoyed Arms Aloft and Hatred at the last show. But you have a catalog of what, 200 songs? No need to cover 8 songs in a concert. It is kind of a rip off to the fans if you ask me.

PostPosted: Thu August 23, 2018 1:58 pm 
tl;dr

"Throw Your Hatred Down" is a great cover -- it's not a huge hit, so it can slide comfortably into a run of main set tunes without feeling conspicuous, and it's kinda half their song anyway.

Historically, sparing use of Neil Young, Who, and other oddball covers ("Soldier of Love," "Timeless Melody") have served PJ's live sets well. It was only once they started fashioning themselves an all-purpose 70's FM classic rock jukebox that things started getting depressing.

PostPosted: Thu August 23, 2018 2:01 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Kevin Davis wrote:
It was only once they started fashioning themselves an all-purpose 70's FM classic rock jukebox that things started getting depressing.

Yeah, maybe that is what it is that bothers me. Some of their covers are unique, but Comfortably Numb, Baba, and a few others that were "hits" seem to be just to cater to the age of some of the fans.

PostPosted: Thu August 23, 2018 2:02 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Kevin Davis wrote:
"Throw Your Hatred Down" is a great cover -- it's not a huge hit, so it can slide comfortably into a run of main set tunes without feeling conspicuous, and it's kinda half their song anyway.

Historically, sparing use of Neil Young, Who, and other oddball covers ("Soldier of Love," "Timeless Melody") have served PJ's live sets well. It was only once they started fashioning themselves an all-purpose 70's FM classic rock jukebox that things started getting depressing.

Agreed completely.

They really settled on some cliche covers. I think I'd be a little annoyed getting both Imagine and Comfortably Numb at a show.

PostPosted: Thu August 23, 2018 2:26 pm 
Future Drummer

There are some I like mostly the ones that are just Eddie sitting around playing. I like Imagine and Won't Back Down.

I thought it was cool in MSG 2016 when they played with Cheap Trick and Sting themselves

But most of their covers are like X_X and I hate how they position them as like their own major hits in Encore 2. And the pink floyd ones are just WEIRD (Mother was even worse, why cover that song?)

PostPosted: Thu August 23, 2018 2:46 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Kevin Davis wrote:

Throw Your Hatred Down is as much a cover song as Hunger Strike. Does it really count as a cover when almost all of the band was involved in the recording of the song?

On the song at hand, I don’t mind the cover at all. I think it is another opportunity for Mike McCready to shine, which you’ll never hear a fight from me about.

PostPosted: Thu August 23, 2018 2:54 pm 
Future Drummer

pearl jam sucks

PostPosted: Thu August 23, 2018 3:08 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I guess I'm easy to please, because I genuinely enjoy most of their covers.

I don't love RITFW as much these days, but I'd take Baba at every show. The energy in the room is insane when this is played.

Comfortably Numb is one of my favourite songs, and I agree that the band don't exactly bring anything new to it but they play it well and I personally love Ed's deep baritone on this. These days, the deeper voice sounds better than other keys he tries to sing it. I was really hoping for 'Mother' but they seem to have put that one to bed :/ Plus, Mike generally does well on the solo at the end. It's never going to be Gilmour but that's ok.

Ed solo stuff like Imagine and I Won't Back Down are always lovely little moments. I'd kill to hear Throw Your Hatred down.

I'm just glad I haven't had to endure Driven To Tears. Now, there's a set killer.

PostPosted: Thu August 23, 2018 3:16 pm 
A Return To Form

List of upcoming covers:
Mustang Sally
Wonderful Tonight
Take It Easy
Margaritaville

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam