The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vault Release #7 - Soldier Field '95
PostPosted: Mon July 10, 2017 6:22 pm 
The Master

MEH

PostPosted: Mon July 10, 2017 6:24 pm 
Production Police

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
So releasing something that is already out there, is it laziness or does the band but want us to have something "new" for some reason?

The one silver lining is that if this one does well, perhaps we'll get more remixes of Jack shows in the future.

PostPosted: Mon July 10, 2017 6:30 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
So releasing something that is already out there, is it laziness or does the band but want us to have something "new" for some reason?

The stated purpose of the bootleg/vault program is making high-quality shows available to fans and protecting them from crappy releases from disreputable sources.

<begin joke about "crappy releases from the Ten Club">

PostPosted: Mon July 10, 2017 6:32 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

bodysnatcher wrote:
to the people who know way more about boots and recordings...

is the "not all songs exist on multi-track" a legit thing? why would they not have all of them if they have the majority of the show?

Absolutely. They could have run out of tape (which is plausible, considering how long this show ended up being), or these tapes could have been destroyed at some point. So if they don't have the multi-track mixdown tapes, then they'd have to resort to using another source...which would most likely be a recording of the show ripped from the actual radio broadcast. So in essence these recordings wouldn't sound much different than what we have now (maybe brightened up a bit, but that's about it) and would essentially pointless to put on vinyl, from a sonic standpoint.

For me, it's 23 songs pulled from an awesome show during the Jack Irons era, an era in which their aren't many officially released live recordings of, professionally mixed and mastered for vinyl. Sign me up.

PostPosted: Mon July 10, 2017 6:37 pm 
Champion of RM

B wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

is the "not all songs exist on multi-track" a legit thing? why would they not have all of them if they have the majority of the show? or, is that just an excuse to save money and not print a 4xLP set, and just tag that would-be last LP on as a digital download?

I would assume a 4th LP would make this a bit more expensive... a 4th record, bigger packaging, bigger shipping packaging, more postage, etc.

I can't imagine they would have the ability to put those songs on the vinyl and would just refuse to based on a business decision. They're made to order, so it's not like you'll be stuck with a surplus if it's less popular.

They might, however, be simplifying or fudging what the real problem is. Maybe an intern left one of the tapes on the stove after making his Kraft dinner.

Yes, it's a legit thing. I'm convinced there are very few complete recordings from 91-99. Future vaults will include Missoula 2005, Orlando HoB 2003. They were recorded and i'm sure they are complete.

PostPosted: Mon July 10, 2017 6:39 pm 
Champion of RM

whygodeepaz wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

is the "not all songs exist on multi-track" a legit thing? why would they not have all of them if they have the majority of the show?

Absolutely. They could have run out of tape (which is plausible, considering how long this show ended up being), or these tapes could have been destroyed at some point. So if they don't have the multi-track mixdown tapes, then they'd have to resort to using another source...which would most likely be a recording of the show ripped from the actual radio broadcast. So in essence these recordings wouldn't sound much different than what we have now (maybe brightened up a bit, but that's about it) and would essentially pointless to put on vinyl, from a sonic standpoint.

For me, it's 23 songs pulled from an awesome show during the Jack Irons era, an era in which their aren't many officially released live recordings of, professionally mixed and mastered for vinyl. Sign me up.

It's not mixed and mastered for vinyl specifically. It's mixed and mastered for mp3 / FLAC / CD / Vinyl.

PostPosted: Mon July 10, 2017 6:45 pm 
Production Police

CopperTom wrote:
whygodeepaz wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

It's not mixed and mastered for vinyl specifically. It's mixed and mastered for mp3 / FLAC / CD / Vinyl.

Wait, did they explicitly say/imply that there's no dedicated vinyl master?

PostPosted: Mon July 10, 2017 6:46 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

CopperTom wrote:
whygodeepaz wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

Right, so it'll be mastered for all of those formats, but they're not going to master it once and then put that same master across all four of those formats.

PostPosted: Mon July 10, 2017 6:47 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

tragabigzanda wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
whygodeepaz wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

It does say "we've taken the original multi-track tapes and mixed and mastered the show for vinyl." So I'm assuming that means that there's a dedicated vinyl master, at least.

PostPosted: Mon July 10, 2017 6:49 pm 
Poster of the Year

Simple Torture wrote:
I think chud will probably be more excited about the newly mixed multitracks than he will be disappointed in the incompleteness. That's where I'm sitting, anyways.

pretty much

PostPosted: Mon July 10, 2017 6:50 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

AndySlash wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Are they releasing it on CD?

cd/digital at time of vinyl release (est. dec/jan)

aka apr/may

PostPosted: Mon July 10, 2017 6:53 pm 
Production Police

whygodeepaz wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
whygodeepaz wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

It does say "we've taken the original multi-track tapes and mixed and mastered the show for vinyl." So I'm assuming that means that there's a dedicated vinyl master, at least.

Makes sense. Which doesn't make it any less frustrating. "We'll give you a unique re-mixed version of a legendary show previously unavailable on the bootleg market. But for the last run of songs you'll have to plug in your iphone." :? Do it right and do it once, you know?

PostPosted: Mon July 10, 2017 7:18 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

CopperTom wrote:
Fuck this. Releasing an incomplete recording of a widely circulated complete soundboard. Piss poor choice. Disappointed.

There's no complete soundboard of this show circulated currently, only the radio broadcast (from which they've taken the missing tracks here).

It should by now be pretty clear, I would've thought: there aren't many, if any, complete multitrack shows in the band's archives. The Vault releases by their nature are invariably going to be incomplete in some way.

I think this is really exciting, personally - an official release of a Jack Irons soundboard show finally!

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon July 10, 2017 7:22 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

B wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

The stated purpose of the bootleg/vault program is making high-quality shows available to fans and protecting them from crappy releases from disreputable sources.

<begin joke about "crappy releases from the Ten Club">

Yeah, I feel like the last couple of releases are chasing the bootleg vinyl market. I see both the Soldier Field and Vegas 93 shows on bootleg vinyl at the record store all the time.

PostPosted: Mon July 10, 2017 7:25 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

I can't believe people buy these kinds of releases on vinyl, that still seems bizarre to me.

I wish they'd make them digital only, perhaps then we'd get more than one per year.

PostPosted: Mon July 10, 2017 7:27 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Birds in Hell wrote:
I can't believe people buy these kinds of releases on vinyl, that still seems bizarre to me.

I wish they'd make them digital only, perhaps then we'd get more than one per year.

They smell so good when you open them.

PostPosted: Mon July 10, 2017 7:30 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

tragabigzanda wrote:
whygodeepaz wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
whygodeepaz wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

Makes sense. Which doesn't make it any less frustrating. "We'll give you a unique re-mixed version of a legendary show previously unavailable on the bootleg market. But for the last run of songs you'll have to plug in your iphone." :? Do it right and do it once, you know?

I mean I definitely get that. But just for me personally, if they don't have the master tapes for those songs, and the quality isn't going to improve vastly with an analog vinyl master using whatever source they have, then I'm fine with them omitting them from a vinyl release.

PostPosted: Mon July 10, 2017 7:32 pm 
Champion of RM

Birds in Hell wrote:

Vinyl is the least attractive bootleg format. Too bad the fanbase fetishizes vinyl. $$$.

PostPosted: Mon July 10, 2017 7:37 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

at the very least, all of these formats are going to sound better then what we've all heard correct?

PostPosted: Mon July 10, 2017 7:38 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

CopperTom wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

Vinyl is the least attractive bootleg format. Too bad the fanbase fetishizes vinyl.

wonder why?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam