The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vault Release #7 - Soldier Field '95
PostPosted: Sat January 06, 2018 5:18 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

bodysnatcher wrote:
i'm so glad you guys exist to point this stuff out.
but i'm also really glad that i have no idea how to hear things like that.

If you listen with decent headphones, you'll hear it

PostPosted: Sat January 06, 2018 12:13 pm 
A Return To Form

zoe1271 wrote:
From nugs.net: "The encore from this show is only available from an original mp3 source."

It was recorded in mp3 in 1995?

:shake:

PostPosted: Sat January 06, 2018 1:59 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
i'm so glad you guys exist to point this stuff out.
but i'm also really glad that i have no idea how to hear things like that.

If you listen with decent headphones, you'll hear it

But will I hear it in these headphones I bought for my kids at Five Below?

PostPosted: Sat January 06, 2018 9:24 pm 
tl;dr

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
Listening to the hi-res version right now...I can see what others have been saying about the sound quality. It sounds like a straight desk mix to me, maybe mixed to cassette because I think I can hear quite a bit of noise reduction between songs. Maybe it's the nature of the multi-track recording, but it's very odd-sounding. It might also explain why they don't have the whole show, because maybe the mixing desk guy forgot to switch tapes? Or maybe the other cassette/DAT is missing? I suppose it's also possible that the broadcast bootleg is a mono reduction of this, which would also explain the similarities people are hearing. The whole thing is just weird.

Still worth the coin if you own the original Red Robin bootleg, would you say? I have a $100 gift card from Christmas burning a hole in my pocket, and I have a few jazz box sets I want, but my heart keeps pointing me to this, loath though I am to give 10C any more of my money.

PostPosted: Sat January 06, 2018 10:29 pm 
Future Drummer

Kevin Davis wrote:
Still worth the coin if you own the original Red Robin bootleg, would you say?

The main set is now in stereo, so yes.

If someone could determine the absolute best source for the mono broadcast, the encore could potentially be upgraded from whatever the fuck MP3 source Pearl Jam used, and tacked onto everyone's copy to replace the official version. Since it looks like a real stereo release will never happen....

PostPosted: Sat January 06, 2018 11:13 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

Kevin Davis wrote:
Still worth the coin if you own the original Red Robin bootleg, would you say?

Absolutely!

Encore aside (which I’ll never bother listening to), the sound quality is on par with the other official releases. I think it sounds great, a significant upgrade over any previous version.

PostPosted: Sun January 07, 2018 12:35 am 
tl;dr

Thanks guys, I'll probably get it. This show was a big milestone in my Pearl Jam fandom, and many people's I suspect; it deserves to be canonized.

PostPosted: Sun January 07, 2018 12:58 am 
tl;dr

If someone could determine the absolute best source for the mono broadcast, the encore could potentially be upgraded from whatever the fuck MP3 source Pearl Jam used, and tacked onto everyone's copy to replace the official version. Since it looks like a real stereo release will never happen....

I've got the silvers of the original 3CD set (with the "Live at Leeds" packaging) if a compare/contrast ever needs to happen

PostPosted: Sun January 07, 2018 1:08 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Kevin Davis wrote:
Listening to the hi-res version right now...I can see what others have been saying about the sound quality. It sounds like a straight desk mix to me, maybe mixed to cassette because I think I can hear quite a bit of noise reduction between songs. Maybe it's the nature of the multi-track recording, but it's very odd-sounding. It might also explain why they don't have the whole show, because maybe the mixing desk guy forgot to switch tapes? Or maybe the other cassette/DAT is missing? I suppose it's also possible that the broadcast bootleg is a mono reduction of this, which would also explain the similarities people are hearing. The whole thing is just weird.

Still worth the coin if you own the original Red Robin bootleg, would you say? I have a $100 gift card from Christmas burning a hole in my pocket, and I have a few jazz box sets I want, but my heart keeps pointing me to this, loath though I am to give 10C any more of my money.

The vinyl isn't for sale anymore, unfortunately :?

Spoiler: show
;)

PostPosted: Sun January 07, 2018 1:11 am 
tl;dr

Cheers, Dude

PostPosted: Sun January 07, 2018 9:53 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

This showed up for me last week, but I still haven't had a chance to take it out of the cellophane

PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2018 9:09 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

the fact that Nugs doesn't give you the encore download with the CD purchase is ridiculous. When this first went up for sale the disclaimer was not there

PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2018 9:54 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I think this will be my next music purchase. If I buy just the download, does anyone know the bit rate?

PostPosted: Wed January 10, 2018 12:52 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

400p

PostPosted: Wed January 10, 2018 5:38 am 
A Return To Form

tooch wrote:
the fact that Nugs doesn't give you the encore download with the CD purchase is ridiculous. When this first went up for sale the disclaimer was not there

absolutely, these vaults should only be released as complete shows or nothing, what the point of making a so called definitive release when it's incomplete???

PostPosted: Wed January 10, 2018 5:45 am 
A Return To Form

armogi wrote:
tooch wrote:

absolutely, these vaults should only be released as complete shows or nothing, what the point of making a so called definitive release when it's incomplete???

So how do you get the encore tracks now or were they only available with the LP?

PostPosted: Wed January 10, 2018 5:56 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

armogi wrote:
tooch wrote:

It’s not as though they’re making an arbitrary choice to omit songs from these releases. It’s pretty clear that they have very few, maybe even barely any, complete shows in the archives; and why would they? They weren’t recording shows in the mid 90s with the intention of them being released as full-length live albums, it’s fortunate that they (or Brett) had the foresight to multitrack record any of this stuff at all.

PostPosted: Wed January 10, 2018 12:40 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

It sounds like, from reading Deep, that completeness was a problem right up to 2000.

PostPosted: Wed January 10, 2018 6:46 pm 
The Master

what were other bands policies? Springsteen? The Dead?

PostPosted: Wed January 10, 2018 8:22 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

rimb wrote:
armogi wrote:
tooch wrote:

So how do you get the encore tracks now or were they only available with the LP?

They're in your order history if you ordered from the Ten Club.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam