The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: Rolling Stone name Pearl Jam a "New Immortal"
PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 2:24 am 
Broken Tamborine

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-new-immortals-20130305

What do you think of the article? Who would you omit and replace artists with?
Some of them certainly make sense, Pearl Jam seem a little older than the others included in the list though

Post subject: Re: Rolling Stone name Pearl Jam a "New Immortal"
PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 2:27 am 
Poster of the Year

I don't have a problem with most of that list. Those are all artists who have cemented their place for the most part. Not sure about some of the pop singers but the bands and Kanye, for sure.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 2:33 am 
jeeeesus relax already

there are some wrong choices..i mean taylor swift? Lady gaga?? those names are going to disappear in a few years, specially gaga.

Some others like Green Day...im not sure how are they going to be remembered.

But is nice to see The Roots there.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 2:36 am 
Poster of the Year

Pfft, my girl TS is a boss.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 2:50 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

VinylGuy wrote:
there are some wrong choices..i mean taylor swift? Lady gaga?? those names are going to disappear in a few years, specially gaga.

Probably not. I see her as a long-term household name. She's already been around for a while (as a songwriter for other singers) and her fame doesn't show any signs of dwindling.

I just wish she did an album of just piano and vocals. She's a pretty good pianist.

She quotes Rachmaninoff in that clip!

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 2:54 am 
jeeeesus relax already

theplatypus wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Probably not. I see her as a long-term household name. She's already been around for a while (as a songwriter for other singers) and her fame doesn't show any signs of dwindling.

I just wish she did an album of just piano and vocals. She's a really good pianist.

She quotes Rachmaninoff in that clip!

her fame does show signs of going down...her latest record didnt quite met the expectations she had...still i havent really listened to her music, but i cant see her being long enough a big pop act.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 2:56 am 
The Master

i dont know much about Gag, admittedly, but I feel like everything she has done - Madonna did it 25 years ago. Sure, she has pushed that boundary a bit, but that line has already been pushed over the years since.

Point is - I'm just not impressed. I dont think she is quite a visionary and i feel for her to really stick around she is going to have to strip off the gimmick and show us what she is really made of.

Or maybe I just need to listen to really listen to her music.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 2:57 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

She actually used to be quite pretty.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 3:07 am 
Poster of the Year

No way Lady Gaga wins. A bear would tear her to shreds in no time flat.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 3:23 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Taylor Swift: I don't see it. She seems much more flash-in-the-pan than most of the musicians in that list, but I might be underestimating her.

Kanye West: For sure. Easily. The man's a massive talent and influence, and an effortless unit shifter.

Arcade Fire: Yup. I see them following a similar career path to The Talking Heads-- they have a few more albums in them, but their influence will be huge across the decades.

Pearl Jam: Of course, easily. No further comment needed.

Lady Gaga: Yes, but she has to switch it up to remain interesting. So far, her music doesn't seem to live up to her persona and overall talent. A lot of standard I-IV-V pop songs, which feels weirdly in contrast to her avant garde pretensions. That said, her following is fanatical, her albums are still doing really well (Billboard shows that the last one sold more than the previous one). and her cultural penetration is pretty huge.

Beyoncé: Of course. I see her progressively abandoning the sexbomb image and settling comfortably into a First Lady of Soul figure if she decides to make more adult records later in her career.

Wilco: I don't know. I don't really see it. They were a really important band for a while, and no one can deny the influence of "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot", but they seem hell-bent on diluting their legacy with increasingly MOR albums. I'm not saying they're not good, just that they're in a funky state between their once-trailblazing status and an elder-statesmen-of-indie role they haven't quite grown into yet.

Rihanna: I don't think so. I see her retiring inconsequentially after a couple more albums. She never had anything new or exciting to offer, and her career is already overshadowed by her personal turmoil.

Green Day: For sure. Massive influence. Not only that, but they've outlasted and outperformed most of the bands they themselves influenced. Say what you will about their music, but this band is huge-- they could've retired after Warning, before their late-career resurgence, and still been a massive name in music.

White Stripes/Jack White: I guess.

The Roots: Yeah, they've already shown themselves to be a very diverse and dynamic band, what with their gig as the Fallon house band. I can definitely see them having a long, steady career of consistent quality across many decades.

The Strokes: Honestly, I don't see it. "Is This It" was huge, but they've been stuck in a rehsh loop ever since. And haven't they been very close to breaking up a number of times? I think history will remember these guys as it remembers those minor New Wave bands from the early 80s that had a few records of varying degrees of commercial/critical sucess and then quietly faded away.

LCD Soundsystem: Great band, but I don't see them as a "new immortal". They had a few great albums, but how big is their influence? How many people started a band because of LCD Soundsytem? Their fans are mostly disaffected post-ironic pseudo-melomanes, and though their albums were consistently well-received and decent charting, I don't know to what extent they'll transcend the short time they spent together.

Phish: Yeah, pretty sure. The jam band fad just won't die.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 3:29 am 
Gone

cutuphalfdead wrote:

Obviously:

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 3:36 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

verb_to_trust wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Obviously:

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 3:38 am 
Rank This Poster

lady gaga is far too talented to just go away. she could probably retire from singing and performing and make a living from writing pop songs for other people.

i kinda thought there was some revisionist history w/ kanye's part. his debut album got a ton of hype before it was released. he already made a name for himself and then got in a car accident and almost died, so he had a ton of pre album hype. he is awesome though, i never thought he's live up to the hype.

i fucking hate phish.

the pearl jam piece was perfect. how many bands ran from popularity the way they did and still maintained a solid career?

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 3:51 am 
The worst

theplatypus wrote:
Taylor Swift: I don't see it. She seems much more flash-in-the-pan than most of the musicians in that list, but I might be underestimating her.

Kanye West: For sure. Easily. The man's a massive talent and influence, and an effortless unit shifter.

Arcade Fire: Yup. I see them following a similar career path to The Talking Heads-- they have a few more albums in them, but their influence will be huge across the decades.

Lady Gaga: Yes, but she has to switch it up to remain interesting. So far, her music doesn't seem to live up to her persona and overall talent. A lot of standard I-IV-V pop songs, which feels weirdly in contrast to her avant garde pretensions. That said, her following is fanatical, her albums are still doing really well (Billboard shows that the last one sold more than the previous one). and her cultural penetration is pretty huge.

Beyoncé: Of course. I see her progressively abandoning the sexbomb image and settling comfortably into a First Lady of Soul figure if she decides to make more adult records later in her career.

Wilco: I don't know. I don't really see it. They were a really important band for a while, and no one can deny the influence of "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot", but they seem hell-bent on diluting their legacy with increasingly MOR albums. I'm not saying they're not good, just that they're in a funky state between their once-trailblazing status and an elder-statesmen-of-indie role they haven't quite grown into yet.

Rihanna: I don't think so. I see her retiring inconsequentially after a couple more albums. She never had anything new or exciting to offer, and her career is already overshadowed by her personal turmoil.

Green Day: For sure. Massive influence. Not only that, but they've outlasted and outperformed most of the bands they themselves influenced. Say what you will about their music, but this band is huge-- they could've retired after Warning, before their late-career resurgence, and still been a massive name in music.

The Roots: Yeah, they've already shown themselves to be a very diverse and dynamic band, what with their gig as the Fallon house band. I can definitely see them having a long, steady career of consistent quality across many decades.

The Strokes: Honestly, I don't see it. "Is This It" was huge, but they've been stuck in a rehsh loop ever since. And haven't they been very close to breaking up a number of times? I think history will remember these guys as it remembers those minor New Wave bands from the early 80s that had a few records of varying degrees of commercial/critical sucess and then quietly faded away.

LCD Soundsystem: Great band, but I don't see them as a "new immortal". They had a few great albums, but how big is their influence? How many people started a band because of LCD Soundsytem? Their fans are mostly disaffected post-ironic pseudo-melomanes, and though their albums were consistently well-received and decent charting, I don't know to what extent they'll transcend the short time they spent together.

has arcade fire been around long enough that you could be confident that they wouldn't go the way of wilco?

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 4:04 am 
jeeeesus relax already

stip wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

has arcade fire been around long enough that you could be confident that they wouldn't go the way of wilco?

im sure Win Butler will make good music, still i dont think arcade fire will be around as long as to say they are immortal...cmon Pearl Jam isnt in the same league than those guys.

i can see the strokes going that route, though.....not sure why.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 7:59 am 
Rank This Poster

I really don't see it.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 9:23 am 
Broken Tamborine

I find it kind of weird that Green Day are in there considering their last two albums (if you count the trio or whatever as one) haven't really hit any mark.

Also would be good to see who was on the other list, I feel as though Radiohead must have already been in it or they've been massively duped.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 9:47 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

fishbob wrote:
I find it kind of weird that Green Day are in there considering their last two albums (if you count the trio or whatever as one) haven't really hit any mark.

I'm pretty sure those albums have sold way more than Backspacer and S/T.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 10:01 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Wilco are very much a bands band. And in that, they're really influential, or will grow to be in a more prominent way.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 10:04 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

fishbob wrote:
Also would be good to see who was on the other list, I feel as though Radiohead must have already been in it or they've been massively duped.

I've never really listened to Wilco so won't comment but LCD Soundsystem is just a guy in a room playing with knobs who to my knowledge has made very little impact in terms of popularity or musical innovation.

I can't be bothered with the "please give us 100 extra web clicks to show our advertisers" format of these stories. Anyway - lists are lists.

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam