The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rolling Stone name Pearl Jam a "New Immortal"
PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 2:31 pm 
The Master

No, you are just a dick! :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 2:33 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Also.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 2:34 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

this thread is baffling

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 2:46 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

ALRIGHT ALRIGHT

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 3:50 pm 
Poster of the Year

theplatypus wrote:
I'm clearly having trouble expressing myself this morning.

No you're not.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 1:14 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Another thought: Janelle Monae can grow to become one of these if she finally manages to break on through and land a pop hit. She has the talent, looks, charisma and innovation. She just needs a boost in popularity.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 5:18 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

theplatypus wrote:
Another thought: Janelle Monae can grow to become one of these if she finally manages to break on through and land a pop hit. She has the talent, looks, charisma and innovation. She just needs a boost in popularity.

who?

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 5:33 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

VinylGuy wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

who?

Exactly.

She made one of the most exciting and forward-thinking albums of the last decade with "The Archandroid". Unfortunately, far from a household name. But what a talent.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 5:45 pm 
A Return To Form

I unfortunately am haunted by her involvement with the band fun.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 5:46 pm 
Commissioner

theplatypus wrote:

She is absurdly talented. Tightrope seemed to teeter ever so close to being that huge breakthrough hit she needed, but it seemed to stall after maxing out with indie/club kids. You'd think appearing on We Are Young would've helped, but the Fun. phenomenon blew up far bigger than anyone could have ever imagined and in doing so it's become almost a footnote that she's even on the track. It's crazy to think that when the single came out like eighteen months ago her appearance on the track was one of the key selling points.

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2023 8:17 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

It's over 10 years later, let's see how much 2013 Jorge knew about anything

Jorge wrote:
Taylor Swift: I don't see it. She seems much more flash-in-the-pan than most of the musicians in that list, but I might be underestimating her.

WRONG. Actually fucking hilariously wrong. We really underestimated Tay-Tay, which is funny because this was around the release of 1989, which is still to me her best album.

Jorge wrote:
Kanye West: For sure. Easily. The man's a massive talent and influence, and an effortless unit shifter

Yeah. Kanye's place in pop culture and music history was firmly cemented long before his recent fall from grace.

Jorge wrote:
Arcade Fire: Yup. I see them following a similar career path to The Talking Heads-- they have a few more albums in them, but their influence will be huge across the decades.

This was written about Reflektor, one of their highest peaks of cultural relevance. I think this band really floundered after Everything Now, and I think I'd take them off the list at this point (not even factoring in the Win Butler allegations)

Jorge wrote:
Pearl Jam: Of course, easily. No further comment needed.

Sure

Jorge wrote:
Lady Gaga: Yes, but she has to switch it up to remain interesting. So far, her music doesn't seem to live up to her persona and overall talent. A lot of standard I-IV-V pop songs, which feels weirdly in contrast to her avant garde pretensions. That said, her following is fanatical, her albums are still doing really well (Billboard shows that the last one sold more than the previous one). and her cultural penetration is pretty huge.

This was written before the commercial underperformance of Artpop, but I think she rebounded. Her forays into acting have kept her culturally relevant. Chromatica was a number 1 album. I think her spot is safe, and I was right.

Jorge wrote:
Beyoncé: Of course. I see her progressively abandoning the sexbomb image and settling comfortably into a First Lady of Soul figure if she decides to make more adult records later in her career.

I was basically right about this, I think

Jorge wrote:
Wilco: I don't know. I don't really see it. They were a really important band for a while, and no one can deny the influence of "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot", but they seem hell-bent on diluting their legacy with increasingly MOR albums. I'm not saying they're not good, just that they're in a funky state between their once-trailblazing status and an elder-statesmen-of-indie role they haven't quite grown into yet.

They've produced more albums, but they haven't quite recaptured the magic or the cultural relevance of the YHF / A Ghost is Born days. Even in the indie scene their status seems to have dwindled. I'm gonna call this one correct.

Jorge wrote:
Rihanna: I don't think so. I see her retiring inconsequentially after a couple more albums. She never had anything new or exciting to offer, and her career is already overshadowed by her personal turmoil.

I'm most embarrassed about this one, because at the time I wasn't very familiar with Rihanna's work outside of some hit singles. She went on to release one of my favorite albums of the decade with ANTI. While she has focused on her Fenty brand, her influence in music remains, and she just sang at the fucking Super Bowl halftime show. She hasn't "retired inconsequentially."

Jorge wrote:
Green Day: For sure. Massive influence. Not only that, but they've outlasted and outperformed most of the bands they themselves influenced. Say what you will about their music, but this band is huge-- they could've retired after Warning, before their late-career resurgence, and still been a massive name in music.

I'd say they remain extremely influential. Correct.

Jorge wrote:
White Stripes/Jack White: I guess.

"Seven Nation Army" is immortal. The White Stripes? Jack White? I really don't see it anymore.

Jorge wrote:
The Roots: Yeah, they've already shown themselves to be a very diverse and dynamic band, what with their gig as the Fallon house band. I can definitely see them having a long, steady career of consistent quality across many decades.

Their status has declined somewhat, I think, but they continue to have a steady career and have diversified their brand.

Jorge wrote:
The Strokes: Honestly, I don't see it. "Is This It" was huge, but they've been stuck in a rehsh loop ever since. And haven't they been very close to breaking up a number of times? I think history will remember these guys as it remembers those minor New Wave bands from the early 80s that had a few records of varying degrees of commercial/critical sucess and then quietly faded away.

This prediction was mostly right. They haven't managed to recapture the magic of their early years, although they're still active and they have benefited greatly from the recent wave of millennial nostalgia.

Jorge wrote:
LCD Soundsystem: Great band, but I don't see them as a "new immortal". They had a few great albums, but how big is their influence? How many people started a band because of LCD Soundsytem? Their fans are mostly disaffected post-ironic pseudo-melomanes, and though their albums were consistently well-received and decent charting, I don't know to what extent they'll transcend the short time they spent together.

Yeah, I stand by this. Their return also watered down their overall impact.

Jorge wrote:
Phish: Yeah, pretty sure. The jam band fad just won't die.

I dunno. I guess. Whatever.

Mostly this has me wondering how 2033 Jorge will feel reading 2023 Jorge's posts.

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2023 8:38 pm 
The Master

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2023 8:39 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Hehe

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2023 8:41 pm 
The Master

Oh, and 1989 is Swift's best album by far.

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2023 9:10 pm 
Production Police

I genuinely wonder if the majority of current music fans will give a fuck about Kanye in 10 years

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2023 9:23 pm 
Major Dude

Has Beyoncé done any more adult records?

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2023 9:26 pm 
Production Police

What do you mean by adult?

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2023 9:28 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i have never listened to a kanye album

now with apple music i could

but i don't think i will

same with tay tay

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2023 9:29 pm 
Major Dude

tragabigzanda wrote:
What do you mean by adult?

I dunno. That’s what Jorge said in his post

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2023 9:37 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Hell yeah. Lemonade and Reinassance were big leaps forward for her

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam