The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Era of the moment: 1991-1992
PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 2:12 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Tj's grammar has actually really improved.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 1:26 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

warehouse wrote:
wtf is "arc"?

I'm not sure where to start in comparing Arc to Jeremy, but I'm amused at how defensive people get when you make an observation that Ten is musically more of an outlier than Backspacer in the band's career. They've never returned to that sound which is why lots of people like Ten but like nothing else the band has done and vice versa.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 2:01 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

There are remnants of the sound throughout their work just not as obvious maybe? The large riffage is found in Vs. - specifically Glorified G, Dissident, and Leash - all of which musically fit on Ten and thematically all but Glorified G fit. Big Wave and Severed Hand also have elements of that kind of riffage, and Life Wasted has a huge McCready solo in it. The wordless moaning that you hate is in Better Man (Vitalogy), Unemployable (s/t), The Fixer (Backspacer) - just off the top of my head.

While the production on the original album does lend a time and place to what finishes had on these albums back then, I think the redux does a great job of modernizing the sound to extent that it sounds much less like a product of that awkward moment between the glossy finishes of the late 80s early 90s album and the starker production that seemed to be more commonplace as the 90s progressed.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 3:02 pm 
Rank This Poster

Blenheim Augustine wrote:
warehouse wrote:
wtf is "arc"?

I'm not sure where to start in comparing Arc to Jeremy, but I'm amused at how defensive people get when you make an observation that Ten is musically more of an outlier than Backspacer in the band's career. They've never returned to that sound which is why lots of people like Ten but like nothing else the band has done and vice versa.

im not comparing the songs, i'm comparing how eddie vedder uses his voice. i'm also not getting defensive or talking about the music on ten, i'm talking about eddie vedder using his voice as an instrument w/o words. you said he never really returned to this since jeremy.

liebzz wrote:
The wordless moaning that you hate is in Better Man (Vitalogy), Unemployable (s/t), The Fixer (Backspacer) - just off the top of my head.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 3:04 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

1993 to 1998 PJ is best.

91 and 92 are very good, as is 2000 to 2003.

2009 to present sucks donkey ass.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 5:08 pm 

liebzz wrote:
There are remnants of the sound throughout their work just not as obvious maybe? The large riffage is found in Vs. - specifically Glorified G, Dissident, and Leash - all of which musically fit on Ten and thematically all but Glorified G fit. Big Wave and Severed Hand also have elements of that kind of riffage, and Life Wasted has a huge McCready solo in it. The wordless moaning that you hate is in Better Man (Vitalogy), Unemployable (s/t), The Fixer (Backspacer) - just off the top of my head.

While the production on the original album does lend a time and place to what finishes had on these albums back then, I think the redux does a great job of modernizing the sound to extent that it sounds much less like a product of that awkward moment between the glossy finishes of the late 80s early 90s album and the starker production that seemed to be more commonplace as the 90s progressed.

I'd agree that there are remnants and the examples you refer to were sort of a dying out of that sound. Leash was being played around the time of Ten and Dissident was soundchecked in early form at MTV unplugged. They're probably the worst three songs on Vs as well. I'm not sure about Glorified G being similar to ten musically. By the time Life Wasted comes around it is one of the few times they really let McCready go and they turn it down and fade it out. Riot Act was a bit of a change as McCready seems to get more of a free reign but it's still not a style comparable to the quasi-Hendrix stuff on Ten.

Regarding the examples - I can't remember the point in Better Man where this happens? Ditto Fixer - I'm not sure a few yeah yeah yeahs is equivalent? Granted I haven't listened to the Fixer in a while. The outro to 1/2 full is really the only similar example I can think of apart from Unemployable.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 5:58 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

[quote="Blenheim Augustine]

I'd agree that there are remnants and the examples you refer to were sort of a dying out of that sound. Leash was being played around the time of Ten and Dissident was soundchecked in early form at MTV unplugged. They're probably the worst three songs on Vs as well. I'm not sure about Glorified G being similar to ten musically. By the time Life Wasted comes around it is one of the few times they really let McCready go and they turn it down and fade it out. Riot Act was a bit of a change as McCready seems to get more of a free reign but it's still not a style comparable to the quasi-Hendrix stuff on Ten.

Regarding the examples - I can't remember the point in Better Man where this happens? Ditto Fixer - I'm not sure a few yeah yeah yeahs is equivalent? Granted I haven't listened to the Fixer in a while. The outro to 1/2 full is really the only similar example I can think of apart from Unemployable.[/quote]

That was my thoughts re: The Fixer. In Better Man, it's the Ed moan just prior to the outro jam. Glorified G I was thinking the riff and tone, but not the theme of the song. I'm sticking with feeling like maybe the production of Ten has a lot to do with it for you, since the Redux seems to take away some of the sheen from the original Ten mix.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 10:00 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

darth_vedder wrote:
1993 to 1998 PJ is best.

Can't argue with that.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 10:59 pm 

Guys completely off topic of the thread. Wait till i get to those threads of those years. Well get there. .....

OK

Back to the raw energy of hungry talented band they were in 91-92

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 11:02 pm 

Last edited by nightmareblack0206 on Fri March 15, 2013 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 11:26 pm 

Can somebody tell me the reasoning of NOT doing WASH for MTV UNPLUGGED

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 11:38 pm 
AnalLog

Birds in Hell wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
1993 to 1998 PJ is best.

Can't argue with that.

I could say I like 2005-2009 era too.

PostPosted: Thu March 14, 2013 9:45 pm 

You know the real birth of "NO" was them fighting to not have BLACK a single

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2013 12:54 am 
The worst

KurtLeon wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
1993 to 1998 PJ is best.

Can't argue with that.

I like every era a lot and some a lot more than others

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2013 12:55 am 
Poster of the Year

stip wrote:
KurtLeon wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
1993 to 1998 PJ is best.

Can't argue with that.

I like every era a lot and some a lot more than others

someone bump the stip post thread

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2013 1:24 am 
Broken Tamborine

nightmareblack0206 wrote:
Just hit a J and have SOLAT from 10 legacy. ...I DARE THOSE YOU DO SAME AND TELL ME THEY WEREN'T AMAZING

ummm...what?

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2013 1:24 am 
Broken Tamborine

Birds in Hell wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
1993 to 1998 PJ is best.

Can't argue with that.

Yes

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2013 1:41 pm 

I know this is no longer Era of the moment but I found this which makes some of my earlier points a bit better.

Quote:
Bursting with intensely personal songs that sound universal by virtue of their oversized, near-operatic emotionalism, Ten was neither subtle nor particularly cool, which helped it communicate better and more profoundly with more people than any other rock record of its time. Along with Metallica’s Black Album and Radiohead’s OK Computer, Pearl Jam’s Ten is easily one of the most influential mainstream rock records of the last 20 years. The power of Ten was so great that it eventually stood apart from Pearl Jam; as Vedder and his increasingly marginalized supporting cast distanced themselves from the record’s gauche chest-thumping by churning out progressively restrained, more “mature,” and less expressive music, Ten was dusted off by other bands and recycled again and again. Today, Pearl Jam is a popular touring band and intermittently successful on the charts; Ten, meanwhile, is still all over modern-rock radio, though only a handful of the songs are actually by Pearl Jam.

...I remember hearing the first single from Ten, the vaguely Skynyrd-esque lighter-waving anthem “Alive,” between Bad Company and Styx songs on my town’s top AOR station, “The Rockin’ Apple” WAPL.

...In the video, which the band insisted be culled from a not-especially-polished live performance, Pearl Jam looks like a glam band in dress-down mode; in other words, just like Tesla. (Except McCready, who’s decked out in full cowboy-and-blouse Stevie Ray gear.)

...“Alive” is one of Pearl Jam’s most famous songs, but it didn’t come close to making the kind of atomic impression that “Smells Like Teen Spirit” did. Ten was more of a slow burn; if memory serves, the next single, “Even Flow,” was played on MTV 57 times an hour during the first half of ’92, an impressive feat considering “Even Flow” was a pretty lousy song that made no fucking sense whatsoever.

...Still, the video for “Even Flow” succeeded in doing for Pearl Jam what the “Pour Some Sugar On Me” video had done for Def Leppard four summers earlier: It made you wish really hard that Pearl Jam would come somewhere near your town very soon.

...Vedder lets out the same epic “whoa!” that Bruce Springsteen should’ve trademarked in 1978 after he released Darkness On The Edge Of Town. The single version of “Jeremy” was remixed to extend Vedder’s climactic “whoa!” for several extra beats, a slight but important change that amped up the song’s dramatic impact. (Vedder’s greatest vocal performances tend to be practically wordless; see Ten’s mush-mouthed closer, “Release,” and the essential “Jeremy” B-side “Yellow Ledbetter,” which fans have been trying to decipher for 18 years.)

http://www.avclub.com/articles/part-3-1 ... e-t,47099/

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2013 5:41 pm 
The worst

Quote:
Ten, meanwhile, is still all over modern-rock radio, though only a handful of the songs are actually by Pearl Jam.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed March 27, 2013 9:53 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

That's an excellent summary.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam