The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 106  Next
 Post subject: Re: RIP Chris Cornell 1964 - 2017
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:57 pm 
Future Drummer

I appreciate very much the statistics posted. I certainly did not intend to make any definitive declarations, merely trying to wrap my brain around the emotions I'm feeling.

As a disabled person, I've dealt with more than my share of depressive states and dependencies at various points in both my adolescent and adult life. I do not claim to know the man, what he was wrestling with, or how he was feeling. I'm simply trying to process the loss of a great inspiration. He was always a passenger, with me at various important points in my life, as Pearl Jam have also been.

This loss puts into perspective even more the gratitude I feel for seeing Pearl Jam at the HoF, on stage and intact. I have seen them live many times, and seeing them any time I physically can going forward now carries that much more gravity, in my mind.

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:03 am 
AnalLog

About 95% of the people who post regularly on this board and probably 85% of the people who post anything on this board have suffered from depression at one point or another. Can we take it to another thread? We all get it. Literally.

EDIT: About debating depression. Not about talking about how his death effects you or your personal experience with it. About controversy about depression. That's all I meant.

Last edited by given2trade on Fri May 19, 2017 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:05 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Apologies if Ruddo already posted this, but he wrote a great piece for the website.

http://www.theskyiscrape.com/2017/05/in ... rnell.html

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:08 am 
10Club Complaint Department

given2trade wrote:
About 95% of the people who post regularly on this board and probably 85% of the people who post anything on this board have suffered from depression at one point or another. Can we take it to another thread? We all get it. Literally.

That was a pretty dick thing to say. I'll have you know that in the 12+ years I've posted on this board I've never mentioned my personal depression once. Not until about 20 minutes ago have I felt comfortable enough to talk about it here. Not until today did I feel it could add to the overall conversation. And then you go and write that stupid shit. :shake:

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:09 am 
AnalLog

PHATJ wrote:
given2trade wrote:

That was a pretty dick thing to say. I'll have you know that in the 12+ years I've posted on this board I've never mentioned my personal depression once. Not until about 20 minutes ago have I felt comfortable enough to talk about it here. Not until today did I feel it could add to the overall conversation. And then you go and write that stupid shit. :shake:

lol wut? Sorry man, I didn't even see your post and wasn't referring to you or anyone who talked about their depression in this thread. And I wasn't making fun of depression. I'm in the 95%. I was talking about turning this thread into a social discussion about depression, not talking cathartically about your own experience.

Last edited by given2trade on Fri May 19, 2017 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:10 am 
The Master

PHATJ wrote:
given2trade wrote:

Seriously. This is exactly the kind of shit I'm talking about. I appreciated your post, PHATJ. Very well said.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:11 am 

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
given2trade wrote:

Seriously. This is exactly the kind of shit I'm talking about. I appreciated your post, PHATJ. Very well said.

:thumbsup: Thanks, man.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:12 am 
AnalLog

given2trade wrote:

...and this is the exact reason most people who once felt comfortable here have since left.
Go fuck yourself, dude.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:14 am 
AnalLog

OMG stop stop stop. I didn't mean it like you are all taking it.

I meant about debating the social impact of depression/stats/etc. Not about talking personally about your depression or someone effected by it. I also am in the group! I didn't mean it negatively.

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear and I didn't mean to offend anyone! Quite the contrary.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:15 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

B wrote:
Apologies if Ruddo already posted this, but he wrote a great piece for the website.

Thanks b, no I didn't post it yet so you didn't classic b yourself

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:17 am 

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
B wrote:

Thanks b, no I didn't post it yet so you didn't classic b yourself

:lol:

Thanks for writing that, Ruddo.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:23 am 
The Master

given2trade wrote:
OMG stop stop stop. I didn't mean it like you are all taking it.

I meant about debating the social impact of depression/stats/etc. Not about talking personally about your depression or someone effected by it. I also am in the group! I didn't mean it negatively.

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear and I didn't mean to offend anyone! Quite the contrary.

I got you man.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:24 am 
post-structuralist

you wrote a good piece, remod. thanks very much.

you guys should also post what the other poster wrote up a few pages back, apologies, i have to go find his username now :?

Edit: Tuolumne

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:26 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Dev wrote:
It's like if he made it to 50 why do it now? Statistically I'm sure suicide is correlated to youth.

This is actually a misconception.

https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/

"In 2015, the highest suicide rate (19.6) was among adults between 45 and 64 years of age. The second highest rate (19.4) occurred in those 85 years or older. Younger groups have had consistently lower suicide rates than middle-aged and older adults. In 2015, adolescents and young adults aged 15 to 24 had a suicide rate of 12.5."

Wow I haven't even hit my prime yet!

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:38 am 
Future Drummer

*patiently awaiting illumineddie's take*

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:43 am 
The Master

dprival78 wrote:
*patiently awaiting illumineddie's take*

And Little Wing's.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:54 am 
Banned from the Pit

The shock is wearing off, just left with tears at this pt. Condolences guys.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:59 am 
The worst

i have vivid memories of my brother, age 8, listening to superunknown on my discman. soundgarden was his first favorite band

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:00 am 
The worst

he is pretty broken up, but told me he found out about roger ailes 5 minutes later, which helped

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:06 am 
Banned from the Pit

This is my musical bloodline here. Didn't think it would hurt this bad leaving work today. And just seeing them in Tuscaloosa last week, for the long-awaited first time is not helping at the moment.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 106  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands