Switch to full style
General Pearl Jam discussion.
Post a reply

Re: Pearl Jam Anthology Book

Tue April 25, 2017 2:30 pm

Amazon dropped the price to $56.48.

Wed April 26, 2017 12:55 am

B wrote:Amazon dropped the price to $56.48.

Ok - this has clinched the deal, thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

Wed April 26, 2017 1:08 am

Ed reading book: "Woah, so that's what the lyrics are."

Wed April 26, 2017 5:49 pm

folks at the pit have reason to believe there are no solos included in this book.

uh oh...

Wed April 26, 2017 7:12 pm

Mike's solos are so hot they'd burn the book if you put them to paper.

Wed April 26, 2017 7:21 pm

this book looks like a church hymnal

Wed April 26, 2017 8:07 pm

bodysnatcher wrote:this book looks like a church hymnal

Wed April 26, 2017 8:16 pm

bodysnatcher wrote:this book looks like a church hymnal

I love this poster it reminds me of the CA 2000 posters.

Wed April 26, 2017 8:33 pm

woah. that could fit easily in the ed art thread

was it actually an official show poster?

Wed April 26, 2017 8:40 pm

gardenparty wrote:woah. that could fit easily in the ed art thread

was it actually an official show poster?

Yep. Ames Bros. 6/22/2014 Trieste, IT

Wed April 26, 2017 11:23 pm

gardenparty wrote:folks at the pit have reason to believe there are no solos included in this book.

uh oh...

Doesn't that kinda make sense, though? I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that most of Mike's solos were improvised rather than composed.

Wed April 26, 2017 11:32 pm

Brett wrote:
gardenparty wrote:folks at the pit have reason to believe there are no solos included in this book.

uh oh...

Doesn't that kinda make sense, though? I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that most of Mike's solos were improvised rather than composed.

"Improvised" guitar solos are incredibly rare in the studio world. What might be called "improvised" is more than likely an edit of two or three takes at a solo -- so there are some choices made, ideas developed, even if it's a guitar-god like Mike, and the choices are made quickly and not meticulously...

Not including his solos in the book seems like an obviously lazy shortcut to me -- especially since many of them could be foundational for anybody trying to learn the guitar or better their skills.

Wed April 26, 2017 11:33 pm

bodysnatcher wrote:Ed reading book: "Woah, so that's what the lyrics are."

OK, I snorted. :lol: :haha:

Thu April 27, 2017 3:29 am

tragabigzanda wrote:
Brett wrote:

uh oh...

"Improvised" guitar solos are incredibly rare in the studio world. What might be called "improvised" is more than likely an edit of two or three takes at a solo -- so there are some choices made, ideas developed, even if it's a guitar-god like Mike, and the choices are made quickly and not meticulously...

Not including his solos in the book seems like an obviously lazy shortcut to me -- especially since many of them could be foundational for anybody trying to learn the guitar or better their skills.

Yes and I believe Alive is actually taken from a few takes which is discussed in articles elsewhere.

Also, improvised or not, they could still transcribe them out for those trying to learn guitar. That TEN tablature book was a gift from the gods back in the year of strats 14th turn around the sun. Memorized that Alive solo note for note. it was only a couple years later that i learned why that solo made sense and how it fit into a scale etc...

Also, i wonder if they will note that Even Flow is a fucking 1/4 step down. Fuck that shit.

Thu April 27, 2017 4:05 am

Does this mean PJ will never release another album?

Thu April 27, 2017 4:06 am

The evidence is mounting.

Thu April 27, 2017 4:08 am

shush. Stone and Ed both talked about how they still enjoy writing and recording together.

Thu April 27, 2017 4:10 am

If so'thin's booooooooooored...

Thu April 27, 2017 11:59 am

Down to $45 on Amazon.

Thu April 27, 2017 3:17 pm

wow, this thing must really suck
Post a reply