The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: Binaural / Riot Act / Avocado Vinyl Re-Issues?
PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 11:06 pm 
Poster of the Year

Birds in Hell wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Are you sure it'd be lossy? It's not like there's some clock syncing that needs to happen between converters; it's simply routing the digital stream signal via a virtual route, and Soundflower lets you adjust both the input and output format. If you're just dumping it into Logic or Audacity or something, why wouldn't the end quality be the exact same?

I guess what I mean is that my preference would be to extract the original files, not create a rip and possibly introduce additional issues. I have a Spotify Premium account set to "extreme" quality, which I believe is 320kbps MP3 (there's no lossless option). Given the choice, I'd prefer to have the original MP3 files over a lossless recording of the lossy stream, if that makes sense.

Yeah this would only work well with good hardware both on the playback end and record end to do well. And then, assuming the file being streamed is lossy, you'd have to save it as a lossless file to not make it any more lossy than it already was. But with the right setup you could make a really good recording of it.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 2:54 am 
The worst

so I haven't really made my way through all of S/T yet - just poking around. The beginning of Inside Job really feels so much richer. the whole thing, really. There's a clarity and precision and depth to this performance that I hadn't really noticed before.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 2:58 am 
The worst

my spotify playlist has a live version of the reprise and army reserve

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 5:38 pm 
AnalLog

My apologies if this has already been stated, didn't see it anyway. If we buy the vinyl, will we get access to digital files? I honestly have no interest in the vinyl but would love to have the remasters and especially the remix of S/T.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 8:36 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Revelator wrote:
My apologies if this has already been stated, didn't see it anyway. If we buy the vinyl, will we get access to digital files? I honestly have no interest in the vinyl but would love to have the remasters and especially the remix of S/T.

Based on previous re-releases, they don't roll like that.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 9:45 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I fully expect you all to be livid when you find out it's the Spotify mix.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 10:28 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

I'd be so relieved if that were the case!

My main concern is that this good sounding master will be a temporary curio that disappears as swiftly as it arrived.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 10:48 pm 
The worst

matt is really prominent in the come back mix, which is much more delicate

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 11:44 pm 
A Return To Form

BootsToAsses wrote:
I have Spotify, and all this talk made me go listen to the records... but they don't sound different at all to me. What am I missing?

Someone posted a couple of pages back that there was a lyric change in 'Come Back' but I didn't hear one.

Avocado sounds the same :/

Try clearing the cache for the app. You may just have old versions downloaded.

PostPosted: Wed September 27, 2017 12:15 am 
The Master

MissYouAllDay wrote:
BootsToAsses wrote:
I have Spotify, and all this talk made me go listen to the records... but they don't sound different at all to me. What am I missing?

Someone posted a couple of pages back that there was a lyric change in 'Come Back' but I didn't hear one.

Avocado sounds the same :/

Try clearing the cache for the app. You may just have old versions downloaded.

How do we do this for spotify?

PostPosted: Wed September 27, 2017 12:27 am 
The worst

McParadigm wrote:

how would spotify have a separate mix (I think you might be right, btw, since a few backspacer songs sounded a bit different)?

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed September 27, 2017 12:53 am 
The Master

So is the lyric change in Come Back? That will be the biggest indicator that what most others are hearing is true. HALP

PostPosted: Wed September 27, 2017 1:00 am 
The Master

Though I do feel like there is a greater separation of instrument sin the outro to Inside Job.

Though, the recordings still feel a bit abrasive.

PostPosted: Wed September 27, 2017 1:36 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

Strat wrote:
So is the lyric change in Come Back? That will be the biggest indicator that what most others are hearing is true. HALP

I presumed that was a troll post.

PostPosted: Wed September 27, 2017 1:37 am 
The Master

Birds in Hell wrote:
Strat wrote:

I presumed that was a troll post.

Me too. Thanks for clarifying!

PostPosted: Wed September 27, 2017 1:50 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

stip wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

how would spotify have a separate mix (I think you might be right, btw, since a few backspacer songs sounded a bit different)?

My presumption is that a remaster of the original S/T mix was prepared, along with Binaural and Riot Act, however at some stage a decision was made to instead have Brendan create an entirely new mix for the reissue. Maybe the band decided they didn't like the original mix after all, who knows. I'm guessing that when the band's management forwarded the updated files to Spotify, someone sent the original mix remaster inadvertently instead of Brendan's new mix, hence my fear that this version will disappear once the error is realised.

I could be way off here, of course, but this certainly sounds very much like the original mix just with a lot more dynamics and detail.

PostPosted: Wed September 27, 2017 1:53 am 
The Master

Birds in Hell wrote:
stip wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

My presumption is that a remaster of the original S/T mix was prepared, along with Binaural and Riot Act, however at some stage a decision was made to instead have Brendan create an entirely new mix for the reissue. Maybe the band decided they didn't like the original mix after all, who knows. I'm guessing that when the band's management forwarded the updated files to Spotify, someone sent the original mix remaster inadvertently instead of Brendan's new mix, hence my fear that this version will disappear once the error is realised.

I could be way off here, of course, but this certainly sounds very much like the original mix just with a lot more dynamics and detail.

You might like the new "official" ones as well.

Though, i still can't hear much of a difference. But i dont think I have the original album files on me right now :( so i can't tell a difference.

PostPosted: Wed September 27, 2017 1:58 am 
Future Drummer

Birds in Hell wrote:
stip wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

This seems more plausible than this being the BoB mix, and him having decided to have a 'light touch' :P

Spenno - have you used your premium Spotify account to at least rip the 320k files to FLAC yet?

PostPosted: Wed September 27, 2017 2:05 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

ridleybradout wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
stip wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

This seems more plausible than this being the BoB mix, and him having decided to have a 'light touch' :P

Spenno - have you used your premium Spotify account to at least rip the 320k files to FLAC yet?

No, I might see if I can figure something out later today (time permitting).

PostPosted: Wed September 27, 2017 2:06 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Yeah, have you?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 40  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam