The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: Binaural / Riot Act / Avocado Vinyl Re-Issues?
PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 2:43 am 
The Master

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
Looks like I'm signing up for Spotify. I've resisted for long enough. What's the quick run down on how it works? Do you pay a monthly fee and have access to all of their music? Can you download and play offline?

You can listen for free with ads. Can't download though. Or pay 9.99 (I think) a month for unlimited access and downloads. You can choose the quality of streaming and downloads too.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 2:47 am 
Production Police

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
Looks like I'm signing up for Spotify. I've resisted for long enough. What's the quick run down on how it works? Do you pay a monthly fee and have access to all of their music? Can you download and play offline?

Free version: You can stream their library, but you have to listen to ads; and on certain devices (PS4, for example), you get a shitty stream quality and until very recently had to listen to every album on shuffle.

Pay version: I think it's $10/mo? You get better audio quality (not .flac or anything) and no ads.

In either scenario, the artists get screwed but I don't know that you should necessarily feel bad about that.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 2:47 am 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
Backspacer sounds like it has more depth to me too.

Hard to tell via a spotify stream but you might be right about this - definitely noticing more Jeff in the outro of Gonna See My Friend :nice:

I noticed that Backspacer was never made available via HDtracks etc, so hopefully it's getting a spit and polish before release there...

Last edited by ridleybradout on Mon September 25, 2017 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 2:49 am 
Stone's Bitch

To my dumb ears, Life Wasted benefits like a motherfucker. It's less obvious and more musical. If only they woulda fixed that fadeout though.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 2:58 am 
10Club Complaint Department

ridleybradout wrote:
May need to update the Deluxe edition once we have this in digital HD flac (which even the most cyncial PJ fan would have to expect to be the case come November).

I'm still concerned this master will unceremoniously disappear soon, replaced by Brendan's remixed version.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 3:05 am 
tl;dr

I went onto Spotify to check this out but it asked for my email address and birth date so I just went back to listening to the new Clientele album on CD.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 3:06 am 
Future Drummer

Birds in Hell wrote:
ridleybradout wrote:
May need to update the Deluxe edition once we have this in digital HD flac (which even the most cyncial PJ fan would have to expect to be the case come November).

I'm still concerned this master will unceremoniously disappear soon, replaced by Brendan's remixed version.

Good point - this does sound too good to be latter-day BoB :P

So paid Spotify accounts allow you to download songs for offline use, right? If so, has anyone tested this yet?

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 3:14 am 
Production Police

Birds in Hell wrote:
ridleybradout wrote:

Birds in Hell wrote:
Strat wrote:
You can download software that will record any audio playing through your computer.

I use soundflower with audacity. Ive been able to rip copies of various songs off Youtube (live versions of songs not available elsewhere, and a lot of those old stone gossard recordings for example)

Sure, but then you'd be transcoding the audio - I mean extracting the original files.

Are you sure it'd be lossy? It's not like there's some clock syncing that needs to happen between converters; it's simply routing the digital stream signal via a virtual route, and Soundflower lets you adjust both the input and output format. If you're just dumping it into Logic or Audacity or something, why wouldn't the end quality be the exact same?

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 3:18 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
You can listen for free with ads. Can't download though. Or pay 9.99 (I think) a month for unlimited access and downloads. You can choose the quality of streaming and downloads too.

tragabigzanda wrote:
Free version: You can stream their library, but you have to listen to ads; and on certain devices (PS4, for example), you get a shitty stream quality and until very recently had to listen to every album on shuffle.

Pay version: I think it's $10/mo? You get better audio quality (not .flac or anything) and no ads.

In either scenario, the artists get screwed but I don't know that you should necessarily feel bad about that.

:nice:

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 3:22 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

ridleybradout wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Hard to tell via a spotify stream but you might be right about this - definitely noticing more Jeff in the outro of Gonna See My Friend :nice:

I noticed that Backspacer was never made available via HDtracks etc, so hopefully it's getting a spit and polish before release there...

Spotify definitely did *not* have betterman live as a part of this track list, as of at least late spring.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 3:25 am 
Future Drummer

McParadigm wrote:
ridleybradout wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Spotify definitely did *not* have betterman live as a part of this track list, as of at least late spring.

Scratch my earlier comment - I just did an A-B against my Backspacer CD and it sounds the same to me.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 9:00 am 

tragabigzanda wrote:
Are you sure it'd be lossy? It's not like there's some clock syncing that needs to happen between converters; it's simply routing the digital stream signal via a virtual route, and Soundflower lets you adjust both the input and output format. If you're just dumping it into Logic or Audacity or something, why wouldn't the end quality be the exact same?

I guess what I mean is that my preference would be to extract the original files, not create a rip and possibly introduce additional issues. I have a Spotify Premium account set to "extreme" quality, which I believe is 320kbps MP3 (there's no lossless option). Given the choice, I'd prefer to have the original MP3 files over a lossless recording of the lossy stream, if that makes sense.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 2:19 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

evenslow wrote:
To my dumb ears, Life Wasted benefits like a motherfucker. It's less obvious and more musical. If only they woulda fixed that fadeout though.

The whole record benefits. It's a stunning change.

It's hard to imagine the technical process digging a wider ditch between the intricate, dynamic record that you made and the brittle, hammering one people are doomed to hear.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 2:32 pm 
Stone's Bitch

McParadigm wrote:
evenslow wrote:

The whole record benefits. It's a stunning change.

It's hard to imagine the technical process digging a wider ditch between the intricate, dynamic record that you made and the brittle, hammering one people are doomed to hear.

We have tasted an album wasted. But, oddly, we are going back again.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 4:27 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I have Spotify, and all this talk made me go listen to the records... but they don't sound different at all to me. What am I missing?

Someone posted a couple of pages back that there was a lyric change in 'Come Back' but I didn't hear one.

Avocado sounds the same :/

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 9:57 pm 

BootsToAsses wrote:

It's the exact the same mix, just a much more dynamic and natural sounding mastering of it. It's probably a distinction best appreciated on good headphones, it's especially apparent if you can swap back and forth between the original and this new version. The instruments sound more natural, there's a lot more depth to the sound and it's not fatiguing to listen to.

When the drums kick in on Inside Job, man, that's the stuff.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 10:19 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Birds in Hell wrote:
BootsToAsses wrote:

It's the exact the same mix, just a much more dynamic and natural sounding mastering of it. It's probably a distinction best appreciated on good headphones, it's especially apparent if you can swap back and forth between the original and this new version. The instruments sound more natural, there's a lot more depth to the sound and it's not fatiguing to listen to.

yes all of this.

i can hear different guitars and it's not just all one big guitar blob.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 10:20 pm 
Stone's Bitch

"guitar blob" being a technical mastering term.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 10:31 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Birds in Hell wrote:
The instruments sound more natural, there's a lot more depth to the sound and it's not fatiguing to listen to.

It really is. The drums throughout really benefit from not being swallowed up by a wall of brittle misery.

For me, it's like peeling back layers of gauze. There are so many details that were definitely there...and even plainly audible...before, but which used to hit like a bump in white plaster. Now they’re out there in the sunlight and free to move, and it makes such a difference.

Listening to Mike’s decorations dance above rhythm parts that actually speak to, and about, each other made me realize how mechanical and samey some songs sounded before. All that humanity just got buried.

And man do I enjoy that rhythm section.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 10:42 pm 
Stone's Bitch

McParadigm wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
The instruments sound more natural, there's a lot more depth to the sound and it's not fatiguing to listen to.

It really is. The drums throughout really benefit from not being swallowed up by a wall of brittle misery.

For me, it's like peeling back layers of gauze. There are so many details that were definitely there...and even plainly audible...before, but which used to hit like a bump in white plaster. Now they’re out there in the sunlight and free to move, and it makes such a difference.

Listening to Mike’s decorations dance above rhythm parts that actually speak to, and about, each other made me realize how mechanical and samey some songs sounded before. All that humanity just got buried.

And man do I enjoy that rhythm section.

Alright, who are you and what have you done with McParadigm?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 40  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam