The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: Binaural / Riot Act / Avocado Vinyl Re-Issues?
PostPosted: Sun September 24, 2017 3:47 am 
10Club Complaint Department

I'm guessing not, but is there a way to extract audio files out of Spotify?

You can download stuff to listen to offline, but I expect it's probably pretty well-protected.

PostPosted: Sun September 24, 2017 3:54 am 
Stone's Bitch

so i'm an idiot - what's the moral of the story here? the re-issues sound better b/c they weren't mastered to within an inch of their life by bob ludwig or something?

The Master

You can download software that will record any audio playing through your computer.

I use soundflower with audacity. Ive been able to rip copies of various songs off Youtube (live versions of songs not available elsewhere, and a lot of those old stone gossard recordings for example)

The Master

evenslow wrote:
so i'm an idiot - what's the moral of the story here? the re-issues sound better b/c they weren't mastered to within an inch of their life by bob ludwig or something?

IM not sure there is any story here. McP just had a wave of Nostalgia about pearl jam i think.

PostPosted: Sun September 24, 2017 4:01 am 
Stone's Bitch

Strat wrote:
evenslow wrote:

IM not sure there is any story here. McP just had a wave of Nostalgia about pearl jam i think.

welcome back, McP.

PostPosted: Sun September 24, 2017 4:13 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

evenslow wrote:
Strat wrote:
evenslow wrote:

welcome back, McP.

It will be the funniest thing ever if I just didn't remember how Pearl Jam sound. I believe that was my initial suspicion a few pages back.

Spotify has a free version with ads I thought.

PostPosted: Sun September 24, 2017 4:32 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Strat wrote:
You can download software that will record any audio playing through your computer.

I use soundflower with audacity. Ive been able to rip copies of various songs off Youtube (live versions of songs not available elsewhere, and a lot of those old stone gossard recordings for example)

Sure, but then you'd be transcoding the audio - I mean extracting the original files.

evenslow wrote:

Yeah, kind of.

Since they notably touted the S/T reissue as being remixed (not just remastered, like the others), I wonder if this master of S/T has been uploaded to Spotify by mistake and will shortly get removed.

It'd be great to preserve it if possible, as there's no guarantee Brendan's new version is going to necessarily be any better.

PostPosted: Sun September 24, 2017 1:12 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Birds in Hell wrote:
Strat wrote:

Sure, but then you'd be transcoding the audio - I mean extracting the original files.

evenslow wrote:

Yeah, kind of.

Since they notably touted the S/T reissue as being remixed (not just remastered, like the others), I wonder if this master of S/T has been uploaded to Spotify by mistake and will shortly get removed.

It'd be great to preserve it if possible, as there's no guarantee Brendan's new version is going to necessarily be any better.

which remixed song stands out best to your ears?

PostPosted: Sun September 24, 2017 1:28 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Alright, I just did a side-by-side comparison of World Wide Suicide and they DO sound different. In my iTunes library it sounds like it always has - brickwalled, muted. On Spotify I can hear more separation and it packs a much better punch.

Unless of course it's all in my head and this is some kind of psychological trick experiment McP came up with to make me look like a shithead.

PostPosted: Sun September 24, 2017 1:40 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I noticed the separation in WWS a few days ago too, specially with the third guitar ( maybe Stone´s?) so i guess he might be right.

Avocado is such a good album..

PostPosted: Sun September 24, 2017 3:53 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I still need thoughts on the other two records. They both have some clarity and dynamic reach beyond what I remember, but it could be time away. Lots of little things, like the handclaps in Get Right being so clear you can hear individual claps.

PostPosted: Sun September 24, 2017 3:56 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Ill pay attention to RA later to see if i hear something.

All i remember was listening to Save You a few days ago and being surprised on how good Matt´s drumming is at the end of the song. Its fuckin unbelievable.

PostPosted: Sun September 24, 2017 4:12 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

VinylGuy wrote:
Ill pay attention to RA later to see if i hear something.

All i remember was listening to Save You a few days ago and being surprised on how good Matt´s drumming is at the end of the song. Its fuckin unbelievable.

I feel like the drumming is less buried, and acoustic guitars are clearer. There's a point at 1:49 in NAiS where Stone mimics the drum fill in coming in after a pause, which I never heard (noticed?) before.

PostPosted: Sun September 24, 2017 4:23 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Interesting.

Ill try to listen to Binaural. Last time i put it on Spotify there wasnt something new.

Man, what a cool trio of albums right there! All three so different.

PostPosted: Sun September 24, 2017 4:32 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Quote:

I agree, in that it's hard to imagine this particular record sounding better than this. It has more opera to it than before, and it needed that.

However, it still seems odd to me that they would have this prepped and ready to go out, plus a remix/remasters for a simultaneous project.

1. This album wasn't really mixed all that differently from what Brandon does to begin with.
2. Unless a project was a total technical catastrophe, there isn't usually a big push to let a remix completely rewrite the album's story. You are selling this mostly to fans, who in theory already like the record.
3. If he adjusted the EQ on the guitars to make them less brittle, carved out some extra space for Ed's voice, and made a few minor adjustments to ensure a cleaner master...that's a remix.
4. Given the choice between "Pearl Jam authorized a remaster, at cost, for digital deployment, then also took the effort to create a new mix/master for fans," or "Pearl Jam charged fans for a product with a new mix, and then just pushed it out to Spotify early," I mean...

PostPosted: Sun September 24, 2017 4:36 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

VinylGuy wrote:
Interesting.

Ill try to listen to Binaural. Last time i put it on Spotify there wasnt something new.

Man, what a cool trio of albums right there! All three so different.

It's always possible that I heard the new ST, appreciated the change, and then switched over to some other albums I haven't heard in a good while and confirmation bias took over. But...

PostPosted: Sun September 24, 2017 4:40 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Im listening to RA on my old vinyl. Such a cool album.

PostPosted: Sun September 24, 2017 6:19 pm 
The worst

Just put on Riot Act. I listen pretty exclusively with headphones when I'm not in my car, and I am DEFINITELY hearing new details that I haven't picked up before on Can't Keep. If they were there before they were much harder to pick up on.

This is pretty exciting. It's not like getting a new record, but it does make old friends feel fresh and new

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun September 24, 2017 6:20 pm 
The worst

it's also going to make my intention of having this as background music while I do work a lot harder to execute

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun September 24, 2017 6:53 pm 
Production Police

Took a quick spin through these on Spotify, I'd say S/T is definitely different, and Backspacer sounds like it has more depth to me too. I'm not hearing anything on Riot Act or Binaural that sounds any different, will have to see what the consensus is when the vinyls are out.

I also wanted to address this, just for the sake of accuracy:

McParadigm wrote:

3. If he adjusted the EQ on the guitars to make them less brittle, carved out some extra space for Ed's voice, and made a few minor adjustments to ensure a cleaner master...that's a remix.

Not true. All of those changes can be done by any good mastering engineer who understands M/S decoding.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 40  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam