1 star
No votes

Total votes : 39

Song of the Moment: Not For You

Fri December 28, 2012 4:56 pm

old thread archived here

Re: Song of the Moment: Not For You

Thu January 02, 2014 4:39 pm

If Pearl Jam was a grunge rock band I'd say this is the grungiest one in the catalogue.

Thu January 02, 2014 4:56 pm

Agreed

Thu January 02, 2014 4:59 pm

the most anthemic of anthemic songs of the 90s, and one of the best TV performances ever.
also a favorite of mine

Thu January 02, 2014 5:00 pm

I hate what it's become live, but I still love that studio version.

Thu January 02, 2014 5:09 pm

malice wrote:the most anthemic of anthemic songs of the 90s, and one of the best TV performances ever.
also a favorite of mine

Anyone know where I can get a good quality audio rip of the SNL version?

Thu January 02, 2014 6:04 pm

hlniv wrote:
malice wrote:the most anthemic of anthemic songs of the 90s, and one of the best TV performances ever.
also a favorite of mine

God, this. How is it with all of the PJ collectors out there all we have a shitty TV rip from a bootleg CD?

This is a top 10 PJ song for me. The studio version is perfect and when it's good live, it's really, really good. There have been a few really good versions over the last 5 years or so (Hartford 2008, Brisbane 2009, Lima 2011, Berlin 2012) but for the most part it isn't even close to how good it was from 1994-2000.

Thu January 02, 2014 6:16 pm

I've always got a vaguely childish/petulant vibe from this that stopped it from being one of my favourites*. Still good though. And i love the music. Reaally love that outro, theres a few live versions with eddie singing/improving over it that are kinda cool.

Its one of those songs though along with say, immortality and insignificance that makes me sad eddie doesnt really write like that anymore...kinda big and layered sounding or maybe its something else idk.

*Though thinking on it i think alot of thats come from all the crap i've read about the song or album or that 'era' of the band. That crap always detracts from the songs for me, i need to ignore it better :lol:

Thu January 02, 2014 6:51 pm

matt reeder wrote:
hlniv wrote:
also a favorite of mine

God, this. How is it with all of the PJ collectors out there all we have a shitty TV rip from a bootleg CD?

This is a top 10 PJ song for me. The studio version is perfect and when it's good live, it's really, really good. There have been a few really good versions over the last 5 years or so (Hartford 2008, Brisbane 2009, Lima 2011, Berlin 2012) but for the most part it isn't even close to how good it was from 1994-2000.

I don't know where to get a good quality audio rip of the SNL version, but someone posted this vimeo clip in the Pearl Jam Video thread awhile back (sorry to who ever that was - I apologize for not remembering - but thanks for posting it regardless)

having seen that video when it was posted is what prompted me to comment about it here.

Thu January 02, 2014 6:52 pm

srsly, it just didn't get any better than that

Thu January 02, 2014 6:54 pm

matt reeder wrote:God, this. How is it with all of the PJ collectors out there all we have a shitty TV rip from a bootleg CD?

are you talking about the one that's on the No F*ckin' Messiah bootleg? that's a pretty good rip, no?

Thu January 02, 2014 6:57 pm

EJ wrote:
matt reeder wrote:God, this. How is it with all of the PJ collectors out there all we have a shitty TV rip from a bootleg CD?

are you talking about the one that's on the No F*ckin' Messiah bootleg? that's a pretty good rip, no?
\

The one on the torrent sites sounds like ass. Thin, tinny, and obviously from a generated VHS tape.

Thu January 02, 2014 9:09 pm

Epitomizes Pearl Jam's sneer that is now history.

Thu January 02, 2014 9:14 pm

It pretty much has everything, all the pluses for PJ. Great Stone riff with solid rhythm section. Vitriol and soaring melodies and an outro jam

Thu January 02, 2014 9:17 pm

Is this their easiest song to play on the guitar? It was the first one I learned.

Thu January 02, 2014 9:47 pm

malice wrote:
matt reeder wrote:
hlniv wrote:
also a favorite of mine

I don't know where to get a good quality audio rip of the SNL version, but someone posted this vimeo clip in the Pearl Jam Video thread awhile back (sorry to who ever that was - I apologize for not remembering - but thanks for posting it regardless)

having seen that video when it was posted is what prompted me to comment about it here.

I just pulled the audio from that Vimeo clip and cut it up into flac/mp3 for those that are interested. Certainly not ideal, but better than what I had.

https://mega.co.nz/#!eEUQCICb!BOs0mkzwR5VccPBfnfgQBXAZ2y5DzLAAXj-Mosgqaac

Fri January 03, 2014 2:58 am

"Not For You"

When I read that song title/lyrics, I think it sounds childish/immature/cheesy, but then I listen to the song and don't hear any of that.

Fri January 03, 2014 11:15 am

injuddstree wrote:Epitomizes Pearl Jam's sneer that is now history.

That's probably a good thing. 50 year old men shouldn't sound like angry 30 year olds sounding like angry 25 year olds. The important thing is that it sounded so amazing and we have it

Fri January 10, 2014 9:22 pm

stip wrote:
injuddstree wrote:Epitomizes Pearl Jam's sneer that is now history.

That's probably a good thing. 50 year old men shouldn't sound like angry 30 year olds sounding like angry 25 year olds. The important thing is that it sounded so amazing and we have it

:thumbsup:

I remember watching this performance on SNL and, once it was finished, skipping through my recently-purchased copy of Vs to find the song, which I didn't recognize. No such luck, obviously.

I guess this also marked the "oh, Eddie plays guitar too?" moment for those of us who had yet to see the band live, no?

Fri January 10, 2014 9:49 pm

yeah I was taken aback by that .
Post a reply