The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: KEY ARENA RESIDENCY??
PostPosted: Thu April 13, 2017 12:50 pm 
mXn

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/nba/ ... buffer_f_m

Seattle Times wrote:
A major music and equity partnership with Live Nation is what’s allowing one of the two KeyArena renovation groups to proceed without first landing teams.
The Los Angeles-based Oak View Group (OVG) lacks the sheer financial staying power of the partnership between rival Anschutz Entertainment Group and real-estate giant Hudson Pacific Properties. But OVG says its $564 million renovation proposal can nonetheless proceed without NBA or NHL teams for now because of the concert revenue its Live Nation deal would provide.
Beyond a regular stable of shows provided by the world’s largest concert promotions company, the partnership has begun exploring an “extended residency’’ deal with legendary rock band Pearl Jam that would see it play multiple KeyArena shows on a regular basis, much like Billy Joel does at Madison Square Garden in New York. Pearl Jam manager Kelly Curtis has been added to an OVG advisory board exploring how to improve KeyArena’s acoustics and overall concert experience.
“If we don’t have their partnership here and we’re not able to do 40-plus nights of music and we don’t have Pearl Jam … we couldn’t stand on our own two feet and take this risk,’’ OVG CEO Tim Leiweke said. “We’re going to build it, and we believe they (teams) will come. And if they don’t come, we’re not going to get killed.’’
The Pearl Jam inclusion resulted from a meeting between the band and top OVG officials at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony last week at Barclay’s Center in Brooklyn. Among the OVG members conversing with Pearl Jam was OVG co-founder and legendary music manager Irving Azoff and Madison Square Garden (MSG) chairman James Dolan — OVG’s main financial backer.
The group also mentioned it loved the acoustics at Dolan’s renovated MSG. It also discussed loving the MSG-renovated Forum in Inglewood, Calif., telling them: “We loved that, do that in Seattle,’’ Leiweke said, relaying the conversation.
Leiweke added that Dolan and Azoff told the band they planned to do exactly that with their KeyArena remodel. Leiweke said Pearl Jam initially asked if the KeyArena remodel could be for music only, but they were told no, that it would be for music and sports just like MSG.
“So Kelly Curtis, the manager, agreed to serve on the advisory board and help us make it the perfect music experience,’’ Leiweke said. “And the band … would love to do an extended residency kind of idea because they still believe Seattle is their home city.
“For us it changes the game completely,’’ Leiweke said. “Because now we go back to the premise of ‘We’re going to do this and stand on our own two feet.’ And we believe that by doing that we give Seattle its best chance to get one or two teams.’’
The development is interesting, given that new OVG partner Live Nation merged with Ticketmaster in 2010. Pearl Jam had a well-known, longstanding feud with Ticketmaster dating to the 1990s over service fees the ticketing firm piled on to concert tickets.
Leiweke knows there are fans here worried he’s too preoccupied by the arena’s concert potential and won’t be interested in acquiring teams if he can make money off concerts. He laughed off those suggestions, saying: “We couldn’t make it work 20 years as a standalone.’’
He said the huge amount of money his group is spending on the remodel can’t be recouped long term via only music.
“The Forum works (without sports) because Jim (Dolan) spent some 120 million odd dollars on it,’’ he said. “But it’s like looking at (Madison Square Garden) and saying ‘Would you spend $1 billion renovating it without the Knicks and the Rangers?’ The answer is no.’’

Last edited by Bammer on Thu April 13, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: KEY ARENA RESIDENCY??
PostPosted: Thu April 13, 2017 1:00 pm 
mXn

I have mixed feelings about this. Gut reactions:

Pros:
1. Moar PJ
2. People from all over the world would get to see PJ in Seattle which I know is a major bucket list event.
3. Matt Cameron makes his graceful exit. Soundgarden has a HOF push that he needs to concentrate on. Jack Irons won't tour. This is not a tour. Jack is back.

Cons:
1. I would feel incredible guilt/FOMO personally every night I don't go.
2. The scarcity of PJ shows are kinda what make them fun. Every one over the years has created unique memories.
3. Do they move to a "standard" set night after night? That would fundamentally change Pearl Jam live. Or does this become a novelty where Friday is "Ten night" and Sunday is "Covers night" etc.? Feels like they could really start to mail it in.

Last edited by Bammer on Thu April 13, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu April 13, 2017 1:25 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Ugh. I love Seattle, it used to be my home, and I get the seeing PJ there, but to have a residency in the far corner of the country seems dumb. Have it in Oklahoma City or something more centralized.

PostPosted: Thu April 13, 2017 1:32 pm 
Future Drummer

No way Ruddo, anything like this needs to be in Seattle. Plus it would give me another reason to finally visit Bee Girl.

PostPosted: Thu April 13, 2017 1:37 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

I totally understand the appeal for the band of getting to play shows without having to deal with endless travel, hotels and missing their families.

PostPosted: Thu April 13, 2017 1:43 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

i like this idea..its something new for the band as well, and they even joked about it in the showbox dvd!!

PostPosted: Thu April 13, 2017 2:06 pm 
mXn

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Ugh. I love Seattle, it used to be my home, and I get the seeing PJ there, but to have a residency in the far corner of the country seems dumb. Have it in Oklahoma City or something more centralized.

OKC :lol:

Well played.

PostPosted: Thu April 13, 2017 2:19 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Bammer wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

OKC :lol:

Well played.

;)

PostPosted: Thu April 13, 2017 2:21 pm 
Banned from the Pit

New touring schedule:

Seattle: every 3-4 weeks
Wrigley: every three years

Eddie solo in select cities whenever he feels like it

PostPosted: Thu April 13, 2017 2:35 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

This could be pretty cool actually. Assuming they do a similar schedule to what Billy Joel does at MSG, this would force them to get together and play music as a band once a month. In theory this would like to more writing and trying out songs live. It would enable them to be more experimental with their live show and song arrangements. They would become a tighter band live, especially on some of the lesser played songs that you know they would start playing with more regularity to keep the sets fresh. I could see how this might diminish Pearl Jam shows for the fans that would go to each show, but I would be extremely jealous of those fans reading about the shows from afar. Also in theory the band would get sick of playing to the same fans, which would encourage them to tour around the country more often. One can dream at least...

PostPosted: Thu April 13, 2017 2:37 pm 
The Master

Great, now they will never play the midwest or south.

PostPosted: Thu April 13, 2017 2:54 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I'd be down with this. I think it would be invigorating for them at this stage in their careers. The shows themselves would become even more interesting. They know their bread and butter is changing the setlists up, so I think this would continue. Also, it's an opportunity for them to spend more time at home and maybe make more records if the inspiration is there. The shows could have tons of special Seattle guests and really reinvigorate the Seattle scene. I'd think it'd be like a 10-12 shows, and they succeeded then they'd do more of these shows for a few years. I think they can make this work. I'd certainly try to fly out and see a few of these. Could be like a Prince at Paisley Park thing.

Last edited by Tuolumne on Thu April 13, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu April 13, 2017 2:55 pm 

Does the Pit know about this yet? They are going to have a field day.

PostPosted: Thu April 13, 2017 3:01 pm 
mXn

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Does the Pit know about this yet? They are going to have a field day.

I don't even want to go over there and look. Talk about a rabbit hole.

I nominate TremorJam as the Faithfull RMer who will check it out and report back here with anything important that we may have missed.

PS - Full article copy pasted to OP.

PostPosted: Thu April 13, 2017 3:08 pm 
tl;dr

"Residency" makes me think of Monk at the Five Spot, or Coltrane at the Vanguard -- a working band hunkering down and developing a chemistry, a workshop for musical ideas as much as a performance venue. Perhaps that's a bit romantic for what this will end up being, but I like the idea -- hopefully it brings an element of focus to the performances that the physical necessities and distractions of touring may render elusive.

PostPosted: Thu April 13, 2017 3:26 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Kevin Davis wrote:
"Residency" makes me think of Monk at the Five Spot, or Coltrane at the Vanguard -- a working band hunkering down and developing a chemistry, a workshop for musical ideas as much as a performance venue. Perhaps that's a bit romantic for what this will end up being, but I like the idea -- hopefully it brings an element of focus to the performances that the physical necessities and distractions of touring may render elusive.

Yeah, pretty sure if it happens it'll be less Coltrane and more

But it's nice to believe!

PostPosted: Thu April 13, 2017 3:30 pm 
The Master

A little more insight to Pearl Jam's impetus to get involved (as mentioned in the OP, it's about improving the acoustics and overall experience):

http://www.alternativenation.net/pearl- ... g-project/

PostPosted: Thu April 13, 2017 3:31 pm 
Major Dude

Remember Mike saying he wanted to do a residency somewhere and do each album with all their b-sides in their entirety each night? Maybe this is happening.

PostPosted: Thu April 13, 2017 3:32 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Monkey_Driven wrote:

More time in arena schedules for farm equipment trade shows and hard metal co-touring acts who turn the stage sideways because hey only 1500 tickets were sold anyways.

PostPosted: Thu April 13, 2017 3:33 pm 
The Master

McParadigm wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

More time in arena schedules for farm equipment trade shows and hard metal co-touring acts who turn the stage sideways because hey only 1500 tickets were sold anyways.

I guess we will get more Eric Church and Jason Aldean concerts.

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam