The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Rate Again Today
5 stars 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
4 stars 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
3 stars 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
2 stars 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
1 star 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam covers Brandi Carlile
PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 1:19 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tragabigzanda wrote:
96583UP wrote:
joostone wrote:

0:48 "You're my weenis"

Classic B.

that can't be.... I even looked and checked ... where did this happen ... link me

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 1:46 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Higgs wrote:
I turned it off after 37 seconds. I'm honestly not trying to be a PJ PRAMG hater as seems so trendy about these parts either. I just really thought it sucked and chose to just listen to something else instead.

For a band that has put out so much music that I truly LOVE it astounds me that they are then also able to record stuff like this that grabs me not at all in any way shape nor form.

#sad

OK, so in fairness I went back and listened through the whole song and, surprise surprise, it wasn't as terrible as my initial 37 second listen had lead me to believe.

The playing is pretty standard 'fast post-2006 Pearl Jam', but I do quite like Ed's singing on this one. He doesn't over-stretch and sounds pretty good.

And yes, it is something of a treat to have the opportunity to check out a new studio PJ tune. I do hope above hope that we will have many more such treats in the future (studio PJ, not Brandi Carlile covers...).

Oh look! $100 bucks lying on the ground! I wonder if I could pay that kid over there $20 to pick it up for me...

PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 1:56 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

yes for all my PRAMG belly aching i actually thought this wasnt that bad

granted my expectations were set incredibly low

it's remarkable that Matt Cameron keeps playing this way with PJ

it's not like he churns out every number for SG like some spritzy fairy

yet when he is in 'PJ mode' its all about being a pop cliché

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 2:03 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Matt Cameron, everyone...

:facepalm:

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 2:04 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I also liked this cover but I don't know in what universe Ed sounds "good" here.

PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 2:21 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

theplatypus wrote:
I also liked this cover but I don't know in what universe Ed sounds "good" here.

If Release_Me says its good then its bloody well good, goddamit.

PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 2:35 am 
Production Police

96583UP wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
96583UP wrote:
joostone wrote:

0:48 "You're my weenis"

Classic B.

that can't be.... I even looked and checked ... where did this happen ... link me

Page 9:

tragabigzanda wrote:
Does he say "'Coz you're my hero / and I'm your weenis"?

PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 2:38 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

Upon first listen it's okay but certainly nothing special. Doubt I'll give it much of a second chance though.

PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 6:46 pm 
AnalLog

Higgs wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

If Release_Me says its good then its bloody well good, goddamit.

Haha! I think Ed sings this one well. Whether he sounds good or not depends on what you think of his vocal tone. I happen to prefer his tone these days to 2000-2002 when I thought he sounded the most insipid (in studio). For those who don't like how he sounds, he can't alter the tone of his voice because it is what it is after 25+ years of touring, smoking and drinking, etc. but he can still sing well with the voice he has. I thought he did a good job of that.

PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 6:58 pm 
AnalLog

To illustrate my point, I'd agree with someone who thinks Axl Rose sounds awful but there's no way I'll agree with the assertion that he can't sing. He can sing bloody well. Whether you like the tone of his vocal instrument is another matter.

Ed's early years' tone is a fair bit different from how he sounds these days so I get that certain people are put off by the shift. Sadly, he's not going to sound like he did in those days. Too much has happened with his vocal chords that can't be reversed. Personally, I'd take his present day tone to 2000-2002. The thing that pisses me off about his vocals these days is when he half-asses them live. Listening to PJ Radio, the likelihood of running into such a vocal performance increases if they are playing something from 2009 onwards. He was very consistent live before that. In studio, this is not really an issue. I've been happy with his performances on most of the recently released material.

PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 7:13 pm 
Rank This Poster

Ed on this track basically sounds like what I would guess happened; he went it and laid down a take or two and they picked the best one. I think this is basically how he sounds live, just in a recording studio. All the odd tics, screechiness and breathiness that can hinder him are certainly present on this track, though I think it's a fairly good take considering the way in which is voice has progressed. I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing, I just don't think there was much time or thought put into the vocal.

PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 7:16 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Who is doing the female backing vocals? Brandi Carlile?

PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 7:21 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

theplatypus wrote:
Who is doing the female backing vocals? Brandi Carlile?

Belinda

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 8:01 pm 
Production Police

digster wrote:
Ed on this track basically sounds like what I would guess happened; he went it and laid down a take or two and they picked the best one. I think this is basically how he sounds live, just in a recording studio. All the odd tics, screechiness and breathiness that can hinder him are certainly present on this track, though I think it's a fairly good take considering the way in which is voice has progressed. I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing, I just don't think there was much time or thought put into the vocal.

I don't think that Ed is a one or two take guy these days; more likely that he punched in that "weenis" line 25 times and then they just pick the best one.

PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 10:05 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tragabigzanda wrote:
digster wrote:

I don't think that Ed is a one or two take guy these days; more likely that he punched in that "weenis" line 25 times and then they just pick the best one.

he definitely is intentionally saying 'weenis'

he may be a conceited, talentless dick at this point; but part of being a hollywood jesus complex includes entertaining oneself with disrespectful witticisms and at least it leaves us serfs with charming nuggets such as these from time to time:

"buy me some penis and crack"

PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 11:43 pm 
The Master

while im overall disappointed with their approach on this:

I actually think Ed sounds great and the melodies are nice.

PostPosted: Tue April 11, 2017 2:30 am 
Stone's Bitch

After two listens, this is quite nice. Not a home run or anything but daddy likey.

PostPosted: Tue April 11, 2017 4:35 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

evenslow wrote:
After two listens, this is quite nice. Not a home run or anything but daddy likey.

for some reason, the immediate thought that came to my head when I read that was, "Tommy want wingy"

PostPosted: Tue April 11, 2017 7:31 pm 
Stone's Bitch

bodysnatcher wrote:
evenslow wrote:

for some reason, the immediate thought that came to my head when I read that was, "Tommy want wingy"

this needs to be trag's new avatar, effective immediately.

PostPosted: Tue April 11, 2017 11:16 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I really like this song. It kinda reminds me a little of Hard To Explain by The Strokes. The driving down strokes on the rhythm guitars and it's in and out in 2 verses. Not a bad litlle tune at all. :thumbsup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam