The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1769 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 89  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Pearl Jam-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:19 am 
Offline
User avatar
Stone's Bitch
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:47 pm
Posts: 6796
Location: unnamed mental hospital
96583UP wrote:
they should record their next album during a soundcheck

stay out of the studio entirely

you're basically describing riot act, in a way.

Quote:
In keeping with the spontaneity Vedder brought to the sessions, nearly all of Riot Act was recorded live in the studio. Mistakes stayed. Sometimes, performances sound on the verge of falling apart. That stayed, too.

"This is definitely our anti-Pro Tools record," says drummer Matt Cameron, referring to the computer software that allows musicians to manipulate bits of audio endlessly. "To us, a song like 'Can't Keep' is proof that it's more interesting hearing musicians in a room playing hard, with the tempo fluctuating slightly as the band heats up. Perfection is boring."

_________________
Strat wrote:
Alas, we are RM


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Pearl Jam-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:20 am 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 14938
Better Thing is great.

And yes, Brett is the man.

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Pearl Jam-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:31 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Fri November 15, 2013 6:14 am
Posts: 20602
evenslow wrote:
96583UP wrote:
they should record their next album during a soundcheck

stay out of the studio entirely

you're basically describing riot act, in a way.

Quote:
In keeping with the spontaneity Vedder brought to the sessions, nearly all of Riot Act was recorded live in the studio. Mistakes stayed. Sometimes, performances sound on the verge of falling apart. That stayed, too.

"This is definitely our anti-Pro Tools record," says drummer Matt Cameron, referring to the computer software that allows musicians to manipulate bits of audio endlessly. "To us, a song like 'Can't Keep' is proof that it's more interesting hearing musicians in a room playing hard, with the tempo fluctuating slightly as the band heats up. Perfection is boring."

What a difference a few years make. :?

_________________
Self wrote:
I don't know. Maybe it's just not meant to be.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Pearl Jam-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:45 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 11833
Brendan O'Brien did a pretty good job mixing Riot Act.

I don't know why his influence turned so bad, so quick.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Pearl Jam-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:49 am 
Offline
User avatar
Stone's Bitch
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:47 pm
Posts: 6796
Location: unnamed mental hospital
Birds in Hell wrote:
Brendan O'Brien did a pretty good job mixing Riot Act.

I don't know why his influence turned so bad, so quick.

In short, I think Ed Ved started listening to him instead of questioning him.*

*based on zero direct knowledge, only years of arcane study that rivals the best of the Kremlinologists.

_________________
Strat wrote:
Alas, we are RM


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Pearl Jam-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:54 am 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 26, 2013 12:34 am
Posts: 4642
Location: Chile
I'm a huge fan of their Better Things cover.

_________________
mikejasond wrote:
Beautiful T_T


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Pearl Jam-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:23 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Fri August 09, 2013 4:38 am
Posts: 2169
Back sometime around 2005, when S/T was mostly finished, Pearl Jam must have traveled to the future, got on RM, saw that this mikejasond guy was so popular and posting a shit-ton, and thought "Hey this guy must really be in-the-know!" Pearl Jam must've then taken notes on everything mikejasond posted, decided he was right because he was so in-the-know, went back to 2005, made S/T sound like shit, and then of course continue on the PRAMG road we are all familiar with.

Basically, mikejasond is the reason modern Pearl Jam kinda sucks sometimes (or a lot of the time). Has to be. mikejasond has to be held responsible.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Pearl Jam-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:42 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 11833
There were two events in late 2005 that I wager really set the wheels in motion towards the PRAMG era:

1. Ed's late night discussion with Bono on or around the Toronto show in September; and
2. The South American tour in November/December.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Pearl Jam-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:01 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 36051
Location: Mountains
Birds in Hell wrote:
There were two events in late 2005 that I wager really set the wheels in motion towards the PRAMG era:

1. Ed's late night discussion with Bono on or around the Toronto show in September; and
2. The South American tour in November/December.


Not are legit. I might even go back to the Canada 2005 tour. After all the effort of the VFC tour and the lack of the outcome they had hoped for....They went to Canada and toured for maybe the first ime with no record promotion. The shows were amazing. A couple shows in the US. The fan club tickets and traveling were in full gear (not the case in 2000) and the shows were a success.

After that they realized that they something bigger was happening. They could start to enjoy themselves as a band. They lightened up.

They lightened up. Which is great but it did not appear to help their artistic vision.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Pearl Jam-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:43 am 
Offline
User avatar
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed July 03, 2013 11:21 pm
Posts: 16172
Location: Lft Craquepeau
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
That reminds me that the band's cover of The Kinks' Better Things is my favourite studio recording of theirs in recent years as it was recorded by Brett Eliason (long time bootleg mixer and live FOH mixer 1991-2000) and is entirely free of Brendan's spit and polish.

:shock: I just looked this up. It sounds like a different band! This is what an aged, pop-leaning PJ could sound like and still be interesting! What the fuck! BOB needs to go right now!

Welcome to 10 years ago, dude.

_________________
Rangi Guy wrote:
So skating back to the train station after work today things went wrong.....now my skateboard is at the bottom of the harbour :(


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Pearl Jam-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:55 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 11833
Strat wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
There were two events in late 2005 that I wager really set the wheels in motion towards the PRAMG era:

1. Ed's late night discussion with Bono on or around the Toronto show in September; and
2. The South American tour in November/December.


Not are legit. I might even go back to the Canada 2005 tour.

Er...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Pearl Jam-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:56 am 
Online
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 32877
Location: Buenos Aires
Not are legit.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Pearl Jam-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37515
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
That reminds me that the band's cover of The Kinks' Better Things is my favourite studio recording of theirs in recent years as it was recorded by Brett Eliason (long time bootleg mixer and live FOH mixer 1991-2000) and is entirely free of Brendan's spit and polish.

:shock: I just looked this up. It sounds like a different band! This is what an aged, pop-leaning PJ could sound like and still be interesting! What the fuck! BOB needs to go right now!

Welcome to 10 years ago, dude.

Uhh...what?

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Pearl Jam-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 51639
Location: Sector 7-G
Birds in Hell wrote:
There were two events in late 2005 that I wager really set the wheels in motion towards the PRAMG era:

1. Ed's late night discussion with Bono on or around the Toronto show in September; and
2. The South American tour in November/December.

Yeah, that SA tour and the type of crowds they got probably reinforced the live direction they started taking in 2003.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Pearl Jam-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 26, 2013 12:34 am
Posts: 4642
Location: Chile
South Americans suck.

_________________
mikejasond wrote:
Beautiful T_T


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Pearl Jam-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 36051
Location: Mountains
Birds in Hell wrote:
Strat wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
There were two events in late 2005 that I wager really set the wheels in motion towards the PRAMG era:

1. Ed's late night discussion with Bono on or around the Toronto show in September; and
2. The South American tour in November/December.


Not are legit. I might even go back to the Canada 2005 tour.

Er...

I have no answer for this. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Pearl Jam-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 13504
Location: Where everybody knows your name
Birds in Hell wrote:
Brendan O'Brien did a pretty good job mixing Riot Act.

I don't know why his influence turned so bad, so quick.


O'Brien mixed Riot Act? I don't think I knew that. So, the only album he's had absolutely no hand in at all is Avocado, right?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Pearl Jam-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 11833
wease wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Brendan O'Brien did a pretty good job mixing Riot Act.

I don't know why his influence turned so bad, so quick.


O'Brien mixed Riot Act? I don't think I knew that. So, the only album he's had absolutely no hand in at all is Avocado, right?

That and Ten (originally).


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Pearl Jam-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 13504
Location: Where everybody knows your name
Yeah, I discounted Ten because his hands ended up WAY in it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Pearl Jam-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 13504
Location: Where everybody knows your name
Y'know, he also mixed Superunknown by Soundgarden which is, to my ears, the best sounding SG record. Perhaps PJ just needs to let him start mixing and bring in someone else to produce.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1769 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 89  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Tue October 23, 2018 5:38 am