Switch to full style
General Pearl Jam discussion.
Post a reply

Re: Post Random Pearl Jam-Related Thoughts You Have

Wed March 16, 2016 10:01 pm

I was working in radio when NAIS was released as a single. The music director was complaining about it not having any "hook" and I remember thinking "that's muh pearl jam, hehe," as the weird-anti-commercial song as the first single had been their thing for a few records by that point

Edit: "Given To Fly obviously wasn't anti-commercial, but I was thinking of "Who You Are," so there was precedent.

Wed March 16, 2016 10:06 pm

ImOnTheInternet wrote:...the weird-anti-commercial song as the first single

I've always enjoyed that, for some reason.

Wed March 16, 2016 10:13 pm

Self wrote:
ImOnTheInternet wrote:...the weird-anti-commercial song as the first single

I've always enjoyed that, for some reason.

Same here. Until the past couple records, it seemed like it was part of an intent to shrink their audience or at least challenge it. Plus, the hook-y songs weren't played out by the radio, making them more enjoyable on the album.

Wed March 16, 2016 10:14 pm

Insignificance was a b-side, right? That could have been a huge hit if they made it a single.

Wed March 16, 2016 10:28 pm

BurtReynolds wrote:Insignificance was a b-side, right? That could have been a huge hit if they made it a single.

Last year maybe

Wed March 16, 2016 10:28 pm

BurtReynolds wrote:Insignificance was a b-side, right? That could have been a huge hit if they made it a single.

Yeah, I could see it having a much better response than NAIS. For what it's worth, Light Years got more plays than NAIS at my station when it was released as a single, but I think radio support for that record was all but dead by then. Keep in mind, this was the summer that Kid Rock rapping over a Metallica song was huge, along with Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach and Disturbed all having huge songs, too.

It was a dark year for rock radio.

Wed March 16, 2016 10:29 pm

RIP PJ :peace:

Wed March 16, 2016 10:33 pm

I'm not sure Insignificance would have done well at radio at all; it's too herky-jerky. I'm not sure Binaural had a hit on it (I don't think something like Sad would have been a hit either, for that matter). They were writing stuff that was catchy, but I'm not sure what they were writing was palatable for mainstream rock radio at the time.

Wed March 16, 2016 10:34 pm

i gave it all fo rthe nookie, what, the nookie, what, the nookie, so tak ea cookie, what and shove it up your yea, shove it up yor yea

yea yea yea

Wed March 16, 2016 10:40 pm

theplatypus wrote:I thought for sure we already had a thread like this (the random PJ bitching thread doesn't really fit as these thoughts may not necessarily be bitching).

Anyway, today out of nowhere I remembered one of the first impressions I had of Pearl Jam after listening to Riot Act and also a live album (one of the Europe shows from 2000). It was "I like them a lot but they don't really know how to end songs". I think it was based on songs like "Save You" that end kind of awkwardly.

I don't really agree with that now, but I just flashed back to that for some reason.

As far as random thoughts about Riot Act, I remember thinking about how resigned or defeated that album sounded. It's in my top three PJ records now, but it took me a while to get into how dark that album is.

Wed March 16, 2016 11:38 pm

I listened to Lost Dogs today, and it occurred to me that Sad reminds a lot of REM.

Thu March 17, 2016 12:06 am

bodysnatcher wrote:The first time I heard DTE was through a tape trade I made to get the Oakland '97 shows, and I had never had that hugely positive of a reaction to a PJ song before or since

Awww yiss

Thu March 17, 2016 12:07 am

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:The first time I heard DTE was through a tape trade I made to get the Oakland '97 shows, and I had never had that hugely positive of a reaction to a PJ song before or since

Awww yiss

goddammit ruddo

Thu March 17, 2016 12:08 am

tragabigzanda wrote:I listened to Lost Dogs today, and it occurred to me that Sad reminds a lot of REM.

I can hear that

Thu March 17, 2016 12:09 am

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Awww yiss

That was my reaction to WWS

Thu March 17, 2016 12:11 am

stip wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Awww yiss

That was my reaction to WWS

Thu March 17, 2016 12:15 am

WWS kicks ass.

Thu March 17, 2016 12:17 am

Every year when the weather gets nice and I can drive with my windows open I like to give vs a spin. It really is a great album. I always forget how much I like glorified g.

This year I even listened to leash. Turns out I still hate it.

Thu March 17, 2016 5:36 pm

No Code was the last album I listened to for the first time with other people until The Decemberists released The Crane Wife.

Thu March 17, 2016 5:42 pm

We (RM) generally complain about the last three albums. Ed has had a beard the last 3 albums. Is the beard the problem?
Post a reply