Switch to full style
General Pearl Jam discussion.
Post a reply

Re: Post Random Pearl Jam-Related Thoughts You Have

Sat July 01, 2017 7:21 am

Ten has Alive, Black, Even Flow, Release, Porch. You could almost name any of the songs on the album, and most of the b-sides like SOLAT, YL, Breath. How in any universe could S/T beat that?

Sat July 01, 2017 8:04 am

I don't really care that much about Ten these days.

Sat July 01, 2017 10:58 am

Leatherhead wrote:Avocado's pretty good guys. Better than Ten.

Sat July 01, 2017 7:37 pm

Leatherhead's right.

Sat July 01, 2017 9:10 pm

I listened to a random Binaural songs today in the way home...Man, those are fuckin good.

Wed July 05, 2017 3:22 pm

The pressure of adhering to timelines chided by record labels (who worry about their artists losing visibility and favourability, falling out of taste) as artists were in the past, creates tension, purpose, timeliness and drive to a perfect balance.

As such, a relaxed, comfortable musician producing music without such pressures in a happy, easy, professional environment will produce facile and less challenging music.

This isn't a fact but it's an easy story to tell in terms of interpreting the behaviour of Pearl Jam over the past 12 years.

Equally such, the loss of labels has single handedly resulted in a huge loss of variety available to the consumer in terms of offerings, in my opinion. As a young person growing up in this environment, honestly, what choice of music does one have besides processed pop, commercially conscious hip hop and nebulous EDM?

Wed July 05, 2017 3:40 pm

OmegaprimeVKM wrote:The pressure of adhering to timelines chided by record labels (who worry about their artists losing visibility and favourability, falling out of taste) as artists were in the past, creates tension, purpose, timeliness and drive to a perfect balance.

As such, a relaxed, comfortable musician producing music without such pressures in a happy, easy, professional environment will produce facile and less challenging music.

This isn't a fact but it's an easy story to tell in terms of interpreting the behaviour of Pearl Jam over the past 12 years.

Equally such, the loss of labels has single handedly resulted in a huge loss of variety available to the consumer in terms of offerings, in my opinion. As a young person growing up in this environment, honestly, what choice of music does one have besides processed pop, commercially conscious hip hop and nebulous EDM?

Haha wtf. Wrong on all counts here.

Sun July 09, 2017 2:00 pm

When I first heard them whip out "Habit" at Soldier Field '95 I thought he was saying, "happen."

NEVER THOUGHT YOU'D HAPPEN!!!!!!

Spoiler: show
I'm an idiot.

Mon July 10, 2017 3:49 am

evenslow wrote:When I first heard them whip out "Habit" at Soldier Field '95 I thought he was saying, "happen."

NEVER THOUGHT YOU'D HAPPEN!!!!!!

Spoiler: show
I'm an idiot.

Mon July 10, 2017 4:59 pm

Random thought: it is almost 10 years since Backspacer was released...looking at it and LB next to each other in the collection and thinking this is the last 10 years of output is depressing.
I still prefer Backspacer but it sounds like they brought in song doctors. LB sounds like a chemical reaction burning for the last 20 years fizzling out and willing to put together whatever they could to make an album of material just to get it over the line.... So even if they bring out an album in the next 2 years, what will it be like? Will they beat a retreat and try to cut it back, relearn who they are and what is true to them today? Or do they keep going with BOB and have a Springteen like pastiche, zombie, interchangable musical output to support touring?

Mon July 10, 2017 5:02 pm

I kind of feel like their next record will dictate how I feel about this band moving forward. I mean, if they can't tap into the trump administration and Chris's death to make music that feels vital and helps ease our collective suffering, then this just is not the same band I fell in love with

Mon July 10, 2017 5:02 pm

The lack of new music after so long is something im getting used to.

Mon July 10, 2017 5:03 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:I kind of feel like their next record will dictate how I feel about this band moving forward. I mean, if they can't tap into the trump administration and Chris's death to make music that feels vital and helps ease our collective suffering, then this just is not the same band I fell in love with

Same. I will still enjoy seeing them live and following some of the archival releases, but will see them as a nostalgia band for the most part.

Mon July 10, 2017 6:05 pm

Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:I kind of feel like their next record will dictate how I feel about this band moving forward. I mean, if they can't tap into the trump administration and Chris's death to make music that feels vital and helps ease our collective suffering, then this just is not the same band I fell in love with

Same. I will still enjoy seeing them live and following some of the archival releases, but will see them as a nostalgia band for the most part.

in this boat. ship ahoy.

Mon July 10, 2017 9:21 pm

bodysnatcher wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

in this boat. ship ahoy.

Ditto.

Mon July 10, 2017 10:10 pm

i still get embarrassed for myself when i love at the S/T cover art

Mon July 10, 2017 10:13 pm

bodysnatcher wrote:i still get embarrassed for myself when i love at the S/T cover art

How exactly do you love?

Mon July 10, 2017 10:16 pm

bodysnatcher wrote:i still get embarrassed for myself when i love at the S/T cover art

This is a safe place.

Mon July 10, 2017 10:58 pm

fucking autocorrect

Mon July 10, 2017 10:59 pm

but mostly like this

Post a reply