The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 226  Next
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Pearl Jam-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:47 am 
10Club Complaint Department

I would admit to being a Soundgarden fan without hesitation.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:49 am 
The Master

I just Kanye

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:57 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I just Kanye

I accidentally Kanye'd in my pants recently, when I thought it was just a fart.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:04 am 
The Master

I only Kanye

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:09 am 
Rank This Poster

Will there a come a day when Pearl Jam are held in higher regard among music fans? There's precedent for this right? Bands and albums that are more appreciated long after the band has called it quits.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:18 am 
Major Dude

I have no problem telling people I like Pearl Jam or Soundgarden. I like what I like. Fuck other people if they have a problem with it.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:19 am 

Leatherhead wrote:
Will there a come a day when Pearl Jam are held in higher regard among music fans? There's precedent for this right? Bands and albums that are more appreciated long after the band has called it quits.

To an extent I think that's already happened. I feel like they're now mentioned by music critics in ways other than being the punchline of a joke and that wasn't the case before 2006 or so.

Unfortunately I think the increased attention has probably tended to cement the "big hits from the early 90s > boring middle period with boring records > great live band with bootlegs" narrative permanently in place, something the band also seem eager to buy into for whatever reason.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:21 am 
Rank This Poster

wease wrote:
I have no problem telling people I like Pearl Jam or Soundgarden. I like what I like. Fuck other people if they have a problem with it.

Seriously, bunch of snobs.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:26 am 
Stone's Bitch

chewm wrote:
wease wrote:

The insecurity inherent in making thousands of posts about the minutiae of Pearl Jam on a Pearl Jam message board and then not even admitting you like the band is hilarious.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:27 am 
Rank This Poster

Birds in Hell wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:

To an extent I think that's already happened. I feel like they're now mentioned by music critics in ways other than being the punchline of a joke and that wasn't the case before 2006 or so.

Unfortunately I think the increased attention has probably tended to cement the "big hits from the early 90s > boring middle period with boring records > great live band with bootlegs" narrative permanently in place, something the band also seem eager to buy into for whatever reason.

Yea. I guess I was referring more to the "boring middle period."

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:29 am 

evenslow wrote:
chewm wrote:
wease wrote:

The insecurity inherent in making thousands of posts about the minutiae of Pearl Jam on a Pearl Jam message board and then not even admitting you like the band is hilarious.

It's comparable to having a serious fetish, I guess. It's something I get genuine enjoyment from and don't mind discussing in situations where I'm comfortable I won't be judged but I'm not about to bring it up with colleagues or strangers lest they think I'm some kind of deviant.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:34 am 
Stone's Bitch

Birds in Hell wrote:
evenslow wrote:
chewm wrote:
wease wrote:

It's comparable to having a serious fetish, I guess. It's something I get genuine enjoyment from and don't mind discussing in situations where I'm comfortable I won't be judged but I'm not about to bring it up with colleagues or strangers lest they think I'm some kind of deviant.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:49 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

These days if PJ specifically came up, I'd say I love their middle albums and they are fun live, but I don't think I would mention them if someone asked me about my favorite bands. The middle era was such a long time ago.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:00 am 
Poster of the Year

evenslow wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
evenslow wrote:
chewm wrote:
wease wrote:

Is that Bartolo Colon?

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:31 pm 

I'm in no way embarrassed by my PJ fandom (or my fandom of any band for that matter).

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:56 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

evenslow wrote:
chewm wrote:
wease wrote:

Embarrassed is probably not the right word. if I'm having an in depth music chat with a good friend I'll mention pearl jam and defend them if I have to, but if I'm in a casual conversation with a random, I feel like it's easier to not mention them at all. I think the relationship I have with pj is complicated haha.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:31 am 
tl;dr

I understand being tentative about expressing one's lower-minded music tastes among internet snobs, but among the general public? Probably 80% of the 135,000 people in my city own Luke Bryan t-shirts -- these are not people I worry about looking foolish in front of. Plus, historically, I end up establishing myself pretty early on in most groups as "the music guy," so people don't generally question my tastes. In the past, when people would take me to task for one of my lowbrow tastes, I would simply talk down to them using music jargon and make them feel like they were the ones who were wrong, not me. This doesn't work as well on the internet, but it really helped keep the rubes at bay when I was younger.

Now, I find that real-life opportunities to discuss music only arise once every 4-5 months, so I've mellowed a bit. I did recently tell a coworker that I hated Billy Joel though, and also went on a rant about the Avett Brothers.

Last edited by Kevin Davis on Sun May 22, 2016 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:31 am 
Stone's Bitch

I think it's time for everyone to come out of the Pearl Jam closet.

Admit that you vote on every Pearl Jam song ever created in a poll from 1-5 stars.

Admit that you Let's Actually Listened to an album to give your most updated, most current thoughts on an record that 98% of society wouldn't be able to pick out of a lineup.

Admit that you can recite each drummer's name within 5 seconds while also saying exactly why one of them is your favorite and the other ones suck.

Admit that you know the why's and wherefore's of the word "Rodlease."

Admit that three letters - BOB - conjure up a world of emotion in you that outweighs the birth of your first child.

Admit that you have an exact and wordy definition for the term, "middle period."

Admit that you're Stone's Bitch.

Admit that when it's dark and quiet and everyone's asleep you still pine for the post-Backspacer EP Mike McCready offhandedly mentioned in a random interview some years back.

Admit that you feel a chill go up your spine when you hear the phrase, "from the ashes of Mother Love Bone."

Admit that you could lead a 75 minute panel discussion about the tragedy of compression and faulty mastering in Pearl Jam's self titled album.

Admit that you have a definite opinion on the firing of Ricky Ramone.

Admit that you endlessly ponder such things as fadeouts and re-recorded vocals to old tracks.

Admit that you know the lyrics to something called Sweet Lew.

Admit that a person who calls himself "mikejasond" has really gotten under your skin. Yet, somewhere deep inside, you can't live without him.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:42 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I prefer Seven Mary Three, but I don't think they have a message board.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:20 am 
Production Police

I know Rodlease refers to the Release Redux from Out of the Furnace, but why "Rodlease"?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 226  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam