The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3017 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 151  Next
 Post subject: General Pearl Jam Bitching
PostPosted: Fri December 28, 2012 5:44 pm 
The worst

old thread archived here

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

Post subject: Re: General Pearl Jam Bitching
PostPosted: Tue January 01, 2013 11:20 pm 
Gone

Should I be pessimistic about the new album here or in the 2012-2016 thread?

PostPosted: Tue January 01, 2013 11:52 pm 
The worst

the 2012-2016 thread

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2013 10:27 pm 
Future Drummer

I miss the old board.

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2013 10:59 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

super nintendo chalmers wrote:
I miss the old board.

What's a battle?

PostPosted: Wed January 02, 2013 11:22 pm 
Future Drummer

Will wrote:
I miss the old board.

What's a battle?

Huh?

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 4:07 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I miss the old board.

Really. This is my third RM board.

PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 4:16 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

"And at some point we'll join forces again for sure, but the band is as healthy as ever and I'm sure it's good to get a little break from each other, but it's nice to – we'll be ready to go when we're ready to go."

PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 5:41 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

If I have anything to bitch about, its the fact that I got old and grew up and my enthusiasm for life, rock music, and PJ, just isn't what it was back in the 90s. I miss that. For all the complaining we do about PJ and their organization, it could be a lot worse.

PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 5:52 pm 
The Master

Will wrote:
If I have anything to bitch about, its the fact that I got old and grew up and my enthusiasm for life, rock music, and PJ, just isn't what it was back in the 90s. I miss that. For all the complaining we do about PJ and their organization, it could be a lot worse.

What sucked the life out of you, man?

PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 6:00 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

it sucks that we are still waiting on the new album, and seems the delays are all the guys doing their own things, tours and stuff, and i havent gotten to seem them on any of them LOL

get the damn album done and get a full us tour in the works

PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 6:08 pm 
Poster of the Year

It doesn't bother me in the slightest that we're waiting a long time for a new album.

PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 6:10 pm 
The Master

cutuphalfdead wrote:
It doesn't bother me in the slightest that we're waiting a long time for a new album.

it only does for me because the reason for the delay is not because they are trying to do the best work possible but rather lack of interest (though it seems). And also - knowing that after they release this it will be another 4 goddamn years. for the next one. So unless this album is the best album of all time....

PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 6:15 pm 
Poster of the Year

Strat wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

it only does for me because the reason for the delay is not because they are trying to do the best work possible but rather lack of interest (though it seems). And also - knowing that after they release this it will be another 4 goddamn years. for the next one. So unless this album is the best album of all time....

Yeah, but if they were taking forever to get the best work I'd be happy about it. I'm not bothered about having to wait for an album I'm not anticipating listening to.

PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 6:15 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

cutuphalfdead wrote:

The only thing that bugs me is the expectations the general audience places on an album the longer it takes to make. The length of time between albums doesn't bother me personally, I'd rather any band take their time to conceive something they're genuinely proud of. But I think for a lot of people, the more time that passes, the more they expect an album to be a masterpiece.

PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 7:05 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

bodysnatcher wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

The only thing that bugs me is the expectations the general audience places on an album the longer it takes to make. The length of time between albums doesn't bother me personally, I'd rather any band take their time to conceive something they're genuinely proud of. But I think for a lot of people, the more time that passes, the more they expect an album to be a masterpiece.

Well, I think we can agree that this board doesn't have high expectations for this next album. If you go over to synergy though...probably a completely different vibe.

PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

bodysnatcher wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

My feelings are the exact opposite. Few and far between are those artists who can disengage or compartmentalize their creative process so thoroughly and still produce exemplary or powerful work at a later date. A good many of them can mimic it well enough, usually aided by the extent to which craft is something learned and/or internalized...but this results in albums that do little more than give audiences a safe, less inspired reminder of what they may have liked about the artist in more remarkable times. There might be some surface changes, or a novelty gimmick that's been mistaken for growth of some kind, to imbue it with a sense of having artistic value. And occasionally you do get someone like Tom Waits, who can go long years without swimming to the surface for air. But I think there's a reason that someone like Neil Young has been able to make some of his best albums 25 or 35 years into his career while so many of his contemporaries have not...he's never taken that artistic bent of his and tried to tuck it into his pocket for safe keeping until he feels like rediscovering it, maybe in a few years time when it's a little more convenient.

Live shows are incredibly cool, but they'll never be the spark of what draws me to music. As a musician and as a fan, the thrill of the live experience totally pales in my heart to the rush and awe of creating something out of nothing...of taking blank tape (real or metaphorical) and trying to find that perfect mix of melody, math, color, and words that is needed to capture a thing you don't fully understand, and can't ever understand. It's an amphetamine rush, an equilibrium blend of the desire to achieve something indescribable and the constant sense that the exact moment you're after is within inches of your reach. Nothing about the way this band has functioned the last ten years suggests to me that they feel anything remotely like this pull, anymore, or that they've remotely lamented its absence.

And I'm not drunk, goddamn it.

PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 9:16 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 9:45 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

McParadigm wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

My feelings are the exact opposite. Few and far between are those artists who can disengage or compartmentalize their creative process so thoroughly and still produce exemplary or powerful work at a later date. A good many of them can mimic it well enough, usually aided by the extent to which craft is something learned and/or internalized...but this results in albums that do little more than give audiences a safe, less inspired reminder of what they may have liked about the artist in more remarkable times. There might be some surface changes, or a novelty gimmick that's been mistaken for growth of some kind, to imbue it with a sense of having artistic value. And occasionally you do get someone like Tom Waits, who can go long years without swimming to the surface for air. But I think there's a reason that someone like Neil Young has been able to make some of his best albums 25 or 35 years into his career while so many of his contemporaries have not...he's never taken that artistic bent of his and tried to tuck it into his pocket for safe keeping until he feels like rediscovering it, maybe in a few years time when it's a little more convenient.

Live shows are incredibly cool, but they'll never be the spark of what draws me to music. As a musician and as a fan, the thrill of the live experience totally pales in my heart to the rush and awe of creating something out of nothing...of taking blank tape (real or metaphorical) and trying to find that perfect mix of melody, math, color, and words that is needed to capture a thing you don't fully understand, and can't ever understand. It's an amphetamine rush, an equilibrium blend of the desire to achieve something indescribable and the constant sense that the exact moment you're after is within inches of your reach. Nothing about the way this band has functioned the last ten years suggests to me that they feel anything remotely like this pull, anymore, or that they've remotely lamented its absence.

Fantastic post.

PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 10:05 pm 
Poster of the Year

Birds in Hell wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Fantastic post.

Absolutely.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3017 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 151  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam