The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lost Dog Rescue
PostPosted: Fri February 10, 2017 5:45 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Just started listening to this. Despite my stated admiration for the original version of U, I am now finding it to be pretty underwhelming. I'm not sure they've actually captured this song right in the studio yet.

I mean, the song is the worst in their catalog. So I doubt they ever captured it "right" in the studio.

You're not one of those "Amongst the Waves is a good Pearl Jam song" guys, are you?

PostPosted: Fri February 10, 2017 5:50 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Just started listening to this. Despite my stated admiration for the original version of U, I am now finding it to be pretty underwhelming. I'm not sure they've actually captured this song right in the studio yet.

I mean, the song is the worst in their catalog. So I doubt they ever captured it "right" in the studio.

You're not one of those "Amongst the Waves is a good Pearl Jam song" guys, are you?

I hate that song too. But I only mildly like two songs off of Backspacer so

PostPosted: Fri February 10, 2017 8:00 pm 
tl;dr

tragabigzanda wrote:

I love how this post implies that the band is on some kind of ongoing quest to continue recording studio versions of "U" until they get it exactly the way they want it.

Thanks Brad and J, looks like a dee-lite, as usual.

PostPosted: Fri February 10, 2017 8:09 pm 
Future Drummer

Kevin Davis wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I love how this post implies that the band is on some kind of ongoing quest to continue recording studio versions of "U" until they get it exactly the way they want it.

The next version will be a sequel to Goat titled "Ewe".

PostPosted: Fri February 10, 2017 8:27 pm 
The Master

Kevin Davis wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I mean, with all their revisionist tinkering and decline in new output, I wouldn't be totally surprised.

PostPosted: Fri February 10, 2017 8:41 pm 
The Master

KD hooked me up with most of this a week or two ago. Here's what I thought about the songs on his version:

Black, Red, Yellow (Original)

Heard this one before. I've never been a fan of this song in any version.

Last Soldier (Bridge School)

I don't recall hearing this. I assume this is a cover? Not bad. Nothing great, though.

Footsteps

I have the Jeremy single, so I know this one well. Beautiful minimalist song. The Lost Dogs harmonica is a terrible, unnecessary addition.

You

Despite owning the Wishlist single, I haven't heard this original version in years. It's kind of crazy how much better this is than the LD cut. It's so much snappier. More playful. A bit harder, bouncier. I've always liked this song, and this version really brings out why.

Olympic Platinum

This is my first time hearing this. What the fuck is this? I am so confused. Oh my god. Seriously. What the hell? Is this their weirdest song ever?

Down (Original Mix)

I assume this is the mix originally released as a B-side? I actually have the Riot Act singles on CD, so, if so, I have heard this mix. In any case, I love this song. This mix is noticeably more dynamic and subtle than the LD one.

Alone

I have the Go single, so I know the Dave A version well, and have always adored it. I hate the Lost Dogs version; Eddie's vocals are awful and the playing lacks the propulsive groove this song needs. Also, the mix is way too loud and overblown. This, I think, is my first time hearing the Krusen version. The differences between it and the Dave A version seem deceptively slight, but actually make a huge difference. Eddie's vocals are more aggressive, and the drumming is more hard-driving RAWK. It seems to lack a lot of the musical nuance of the Dave A version. I think Dave A's playing and Eddie's softer vocals compliment the funk element of the song in a wonderful way that really brings it to life. There is a much more pleasing ebb and flow to the rhythm, and those "so it goooooooes" have so much soul. Man, I fucking love this song. The Dave A version, anyway.

Leatherman

I know this song, and really like it. It's minor, but very satisfying. I dig the jangle pop elements. That bass and guitar interplay is KILLER. I kinda wish PJ would explore this sound more. Wow, I've never noticed how beautifully produced this song is. The way that layer of reverb creeps in around 1:35? Goddamn. That is great.

Wash

This is an old favorite. Fantastic song.

Yellow Ledbetter

Do I need to say anything about this one?

Undone (Original Mix)

Another song I had in single format. This song is so damn good. Like "Down," this mix is way more dynamic than on LD. I think I need to delete all the LD versions of these songs from my iTunes.

Dirty Frank

Not one of PJ's finer moments. It's not horrible, but I never listen to it.

Angel

I'm not sure I've ever heard this before. I assume this is a Ten-era song? The guitar sure sounds like it. Hmm. This is some pretty weak songwriting. Not a fan. Very amateurish.

Happy When I'm Crying

I only first heard this song like a year ago, but I certainly haven't heard in this high of quality. What a quirky, eccentric song. It's hard to believe this is the same band that made LB. I think the production sounds a bit...thin? I wish this song had a bit more low-end punch, and a smoother groove to the playing. I do like it, though. PJ definitely needs to bring back this kind of weirdness.

Sunburn

Another song I don't think I've heard before. That's Stone singing, right? This doesn't do too much for me. I appreciate the oldies thing it's doing, but I can't help but feel that I'd rather just listen to actual oldies than this kind of one-foot-in, one-foot-out imitation.

Hold On

I'm not sure I've heard the original version of this before. Definitely sounds like a Ten song. Man, Eddie's voice really was something back in '91, wasn't it? Solid tune.

Just a Girl

I DEFINITELY have not heard this before. Again, this is very clearly a Ten song. I'm not sure about this one. It's not bad. It has elements I like (the way the guitars pour in over each other at the beginning is nice). Hmm. Something seems lacking. Like on "Angel," the songwriting seems less than impressive. It's all "sound" with no compositional meat.

Someday at Christmas

Another song I absolutely have not heard before. Wow, this is fantastic! What a great, soulful, funky groove this has. Reminds me of Marvin Gaye's "Purple Snowflakes" (which is one of the greatest goddamn pieces of music ever recorded). This feels like a much more authentic homage than "Sunburn" to me. Man, I love this! Who's drumming here? Jack? He is GETTIN' it!

Brother

I got my hands on some kind of bootleg digital version of this song back in the day and always loved it. But it was in terrible quality, so I certainly have never heard the song with this kind of clarity. This is a really enjoyable song. Kinda juvenile and dumb, but still fun to listen to. Mike and Stone are shredding their brains out, and I love Jeff's churning bass. The instrumental LD version is a fucking travesty and should have never been released.

Hard to Imagine

This is a beautiful song, and so much more beautiful in this version, which I'm not sure I've heard before. The differences are all subtle, but they make a massive difference. I love those lightly wafting guitar tones, and how they are being slightly overcooked in the amp (I'm not a musician, so I may be completely misdiagnosing or incorrectly describing what I'm hearing, but oh well). Heavenly. The LD version sounds so flat and loud by comparison. No subtlety. What was PJ thinking? Oh yuck, the way the guitar and drums kick in at the two-minute mark sounds AWFUL compared to the original. What the hell?! Why would they change this song?! Did they just make their mission with LD to strip all nuance from their music? What a terrifying precursor. We should have known!

Drifting

I had no idea about these original vocals until like a year ago. What a difference! This one certainly has a lot more personality and idiosyncrasy. It has grit. It feels real. Experimental. Playful. The LD version is so much more conventional, and the mix is too loud. I liked it when I had never heard this version, and now it's hard to listen to.

PostPosted: Fri February 10, 2017 8:46 pm 
The Master

thats MC on someday at christmas.

PostPosted: Fri February 10, 2017 8:46 pm 
The Master

Strat wrote:

Yeah, KD set me straight on the questions/assumptions I got wrong.

PostPosted: Fri February 10, 2017 8:48 pm 
The Master

Just a couple notes for LV:

Happy When I'm Crying is most likely a rip of a vinyl copy, as I don't believe a digital version has ever made it to the public. That would explain the lack of bottom end.

Someday at Christmas was the 2004 Xmas single, so I'm pretty sure that's Matt on the drums, unless someone else was filling in. Also, this is a Jackson 5 cover.

PostPosted: Fri February 10, 2017 8:49 pm 
Poster of the Year

Last Soldier is not a cover.

PostPosted: Fri February 10, 2017 8:49 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:

PostPosted: Fri February 10, 2017 8:50 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:

Yea, so shut up.

Just kidding.

Im about to listen to this. i haven't listened to the "original" hard to imagine in years. im guessing its from the chicago cab soundtrack.

PostPosted: Fri February 10, 2017 8:51 pm 
Poster of the Year

someone pm me the link

PostPosted: Fri February 10, 2017 8:51 pm 
The Master

cutuphalfdead wrote:
someone pm me the link

i cant find my hard drive

PostPosted: Fri February 10, 2017 8:52 pm 
The Master

cutuphalfdead wrote:
someone pm me the link

sent

PostPosted: Fri February 10, 2017 8:52 pm 
Poster of the Year

Strat wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
someone pm me the link

i cant find my hard drive

i legit can't find it, it's pissing me off because i had it in this very room not six months ago

PostPosted: Fri February 10, 2017 10:53 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

can someone pm me a link please?

PostPosted: Fri February 10, 2017 11:05 pm 
The Master

holy shit. I haven't heard the original wash in so fucking long. Its jarring.

PostPosted: Fri February 10, 2017 11:21 pm 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I mean, with all their revisionist tinkering and decline in new output, I wouldn't be totally surprised.

Did anyone get the "arrested for their revisionist crimes" thing in the artwork?

PostPosted: Sat February 11, 2017 1:04 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I too don't think that Dirty Frank is that great from the studio. But the sniper thrown into porch at Ft Lauterdate 94 is badd ass - gave me a new appreciation for the break down 'cook em' part that is awesome.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam