The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2011 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 101  Next
 Post subject: Re: HALL OF FAME!!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 3:01 am 
Posting (live)

dimejinky99 wrote:
doug rr wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
This is so weird. Feels like a bookend.

Wonder if they're pissed they're going on with such crappy acts. Journey. Seriously?

journey deserves it dime..deal with it

I wasn't talking about my thoughts. I only know them from beavis and butthead and then that sopranos thing. I was talking about PJ.

Wonder who's inducting them?

Dave A is inducting them. It's going to be awesome to watch Ed accept and shake hands.

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 3:05 am 
what on earth am I talking about

That would actually be nice.

Imagine all the people living life in peace

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 3:30 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

This is gonna be The Pearl Jam Show

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 4:45 am 
Major Dude

doug rr wrote:
wease wrote:
doug rr wrote:
wease wrote:
wease wrote:
All star Jam is Don't Stop Believing.

I actually told a buddy of mine this earlier today and he got really excited because he likes Journey.

growing up with journey, its tough to beat the feeling that way/anytime combo..

He has made that very statement to me.

maybe i'm him

If you were him, I'd be eating a lot better.

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 4:56 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Guess I'm going to Cleveland this spring.

Even if the ceremony is in Brooklyn (which kind of seems like a cruel fuck you to Cleveland but whatever), I'm still going to want to go to Cleveland this year to see whatever PJ-centric exhibit they have going. I have no interest in attending the actual induction ceremony. But, yeah, I hope to visit Cleveland next year.

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 4:56 am 
Future Drummer

daft twat wrote:
I don't know what this means. I don't think it means anything.

Definitely the underrated comment of the day...

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 6:20 am 
Future Drummer

Happy for PJ but shocked Green Day didn't make it. Not many bands including PJ have multiple ten million selling albums.

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 6:23 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Green Day were inducted last year

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 2:11 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 2:18 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Im still a little baffled with the whole Dave thing. I want to know what the band thinks about it, and i really hope he can be, at least, playing a song there.

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 3:44 pm 
The Master

darth_vedder wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 4:00 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

VinylGuy wrote:
Im still a little baffled with the whole Dave thing. I want to know what the band thinks about it, and i really hope he can be, at least, playing a song there.

I don't think he needs to play a song. Be there, fine. But that's good enough. He hasn't been with the band in forever.

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 4:05 pm 
Production Police

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

I don't think he needs to play a song. Be there, fine. But that's good enough. He hasn't been with the band in forever.

Yea, I agree that he doesn't have to play a song, necessarily (though I would love it). But there should really be some sort acknowledgment of his contributions at the event. It's not like they're getting in to the HOF for Backspacer, right?

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 4:17 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I don't think Dave A could even play with this incarnation of Pearl Jam. Their live style is completely different from the last time Dave was behind the kit.

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 4:21 pm 
Production Police

bodysnatcher wrote:
I don't think Dave A could even play with this incarnation of Pearl Jam. Their live style is completely different from the last time Dave was behind the kit.

For sure...But the possibility exists that he could bring out a little more exuberance from Jeff and Stone. Was watching some Pinkpop '92 last week, and their fretwork was just so loose and limber.

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 4:45 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Yea, I agree that he doesn't have to play a song, necessarily (though I would love it). But there should really be some sort acknowledgment of his contributions at the event. It's not like they're getting in to the HOF for Backspacer, right?

I think they are who they are right now b/c of 2 key pieces to their narrative: 1) big band from the 'Seattle scene" and 2) band that survived and perservered on their own terms and inspired a loyal fanbase. I really think that #2 is just as important, and may eventually be even more important than #1, if not already.

In fact, if #2 never occurred, I don't think they'd be a first ballot induction. I think they are first ballot b/c they are still top of mind right now and out there and have an active career (as opposed to the other inductees, re: Tupac being deceased makes career evaluation much different and speedier). In an alternate universe, if they petered out by the late 90s they'd either be doing the lame reunion thing or they'd be playing to half full theaters (think Alice in Chains or Smashing Pumpkins right now, maybe a little bigger than that).

So, yes, they are making it first-ballot b/c of albums and tours for Yield, Riot Act, and fuckyes Backspacer (imp best post-commercial peak album after Yield). If they petered out, they'd be in that other batch of contemporaries alongside AIC, SP, Jane's, Soundgarden, STP. Or similarly, left behind for years like their fellow 2017ers like Yes or ELO. Not a bad place to be at all, but not first ballot mortal lock inductees.

All said, I'm not a big HOF guy at all, I only think it's useful as far as people use it to discover their music and learning about their era, but that's it.

Last edited by Tuolumne on Wed December 21, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 4:47 pm 
Production Police

Tuolumne wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

I think they are who they are right now b/c of 2 key pieces to their narrative: 1) big band from the 'Seattle scene" and 2) band that survived and perservered on their own terms and inspired a loyal fanbase. I really think that #2 is just as important, and may eventually be even more important than #1, if not already.

In fact, if #2 never occurred, I don't think they'd be a first ballot induction. I think they are first ballot b/c they are still top of mind right now and out there and have an active career (as opposed to the other inductees, re: Tupac being deceased makes career evaluation much different and speedier). In an alternate universe, if they petered out by the late 90s they'd either be doing the lame reunion thing or they'd be playing to half full theaters (think Alice in Chains or Smashing Pumpkins right now, maybe a little bigger than that).

So, yes, they are making it first-ballot b/c of albums and tours for Yield, Riot Act, and fuckyes Backspacer (imp best post-commercial peak album after Yield). If they petered out, they'd be in that other batch of contemporaries alongside AIC, SP, Jane's, Soundgarden, STP. Not a bad place to be at all, but not first ballot mortal lock inductees.

This is a great point.

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 4:49 pm 

Which also why Matt totally deserves to be there. And, yes, Dave A got shafted. I do feel for the guy. Maybe they just mixed up their Dave's?

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 4:51 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

But they aren't getting in for Ten, either. It is everything over 25 years. And for what, 16 of those years, Matt is the man. Fuck the rest of the drummers.

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 4:52 pm 

I really do think bands have to prove it the hard way to get to the status they currently enjoy. For PJ, it sort of happened in reverse. They had their grinding it out phase during the middle years, sustaining fans one at a time with their songs and live shows. They did it, and they deserve it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2011 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 101  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam