The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2011 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 101  Next
 Post subject: Re: HALL OF FAME!!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 5:04 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Im still a little baffled with the whole Dave thing. I want to know what the band thinks about it, and i really hope he can be, at least, playing a song there.

I don't think he needs to play a song. Be there, fine. But that's good enough. He hasn't been with the band in forever.

Yea, I agree that he doesn't have to play a song, necessarily (though I would love it). But there should really be some sort acknowledgment of his contributions at the event. It's not like they're getting in to the HOF for Backspacer, right?

But they aren't getting in for Ten, either. It is everything over 25 years. And for what, 16 of those years, Matt is the man. Fuck the rest of the drummers.

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 5:22 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

thanks pal

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 5:46 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

:lol:

still laughing at this

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 7:05 pm 
Future Drummer

My prediction... No Dave A, and no acknowledgement of Dave A.

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 7:32 pm 
Major Dude

Iholdthepain wrote:
My prediction... No Dave A, and no acknowledgement of Dave A.

Who's Dave A?

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 7:51 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Tuolumne wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Im still a little baffled with the whole Dave thing. I want to know what the band thinks about it, and i really hope he can be, at least, playing a song there.

I don't think he needs to play a song. Be there, fine. But that's good enough. He hasn't been with the band in forever.

Yea, I agree that he doesn't have to play a song, necessarily (though I would love it). But there should really be some sort acknowledgment of his contributions at the event. It's not like they're getting in to the HOF for Backspacer, right?

I think they are who they are right now b/c of 2 key pieces to their narrative: 1) big band from the 'Seattle scene" and 2) band that survived and perservered on their own terms and inspired a loyal fanbase. I really think that #2 is just as important, and may eventually be even more important than #1, if not already.

In fact, if #2 never occurred, I don't think they'd be a first ballot induction. I think they are first ballot b/c they are still top of mind right now and out there and have an active career (as opposed to the other inductees, re: Tupac being deceased makes career evaluation much different and speedier). In an alternate universe, if they petered out by the late 90s they'd either be doing the lame reunion thing or they'd be playing to half full theaters (think Alice in Chains or Smashing Pumpkins right now, maybe a little bigger than that).

So, yes, they are making it first-ballot b/c of albums and tours for Yield, Riot Act, and fuckyes Backspacer (imp best post-commercial peak album after Yield). If they petered out, they'd be in that other batch of contemporaries alongside AIC, SP, Jane's, Soundgarden, STP. Or similarly, left behind for years like their fellow 2017ers like Yes or ELO. Not a bad place to be at all, but not first ballot mortal lock inductees.

All said, I'm not a big HOF guy at all, I only think it's useful as far as people use it to discover their music and learning about their era, but that's it.

Woah woah woah.

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 8:01 pm 
The Master

lol

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 8:14 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Birds in Hell wrote:
Fingers crossed Pearl Jam lose out to Depeche Mode and Kraftwerk.

:peace:

:(

Guys, the RnRHoF is a bullshit institution and any band should be embarrassed by their inclusion, however Matt really doesn't deserve to get in for his work in Pearl Jam. What they achieved creatively in the period before he joined monumentally outweighs everything during his time in the band. Even now, the vast majority of the band's setlist on any given night relies upon songs created with either Dave Krusen, Dave Abbruzzese or Jack Irons on the drums. Matt just wasn't there for the important years.

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 8:16 pm 
Poster of the Year

yeah, spenno is right

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 8:18 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Dave A was on 2 albums and wrote 3 songs. He should be acknowledged with Krusen and Irons, but that's it.

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 8:22 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

pnjguy wrote:
Dave A was on 2 albums and wrote 3 songs. He should be acknowledged with Krusen and Irons, but that's it.

Hey I just got a Daniel Larusso action figure for Christmas from a coworker

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 8:30 pm 
tl;dr

Birds in Hell wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

Guys, the RnRHoF is a bullshit institution and any band should be embarrassed by their inclusion, however Matt really doesn't deserve to get in for his work in Pearl Jam. What they achieved creatively in the period before he joined monumentally outweighs everything during his time in the band. Even now, the vast majority of the band's setlist on any given night relies upon songs created with either Dave Krusen, Dave Abbruzzese or Jack Irons on the drums. Matt just wasn't there for the important years.

It really depends on what criteria was used. If any of the driving force behind their inclusion was the "live juggernaut, fans' darlings" thing, then the bolded statement is incorrect.

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 8:56 pm 

Kevin Davis wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

It really depends on what criteria was used. If any of the driving force behind their inclusion was the "live juggernaut, fans' darlings" thing, then the bolded statement is incorrect.

I'm certain that's the view of the HoF and is the reason Matt was included, but I strongly feel that the mythology of Pearl Jam being this incredible, hard-working live band is wildly overstated and, in any case, is much less important than the great songs they recorded earlier in their career. It's those songs people come to the shows to hear, after all.

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 9:46 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

bodysnatcher wrote:
pnjguy wrote:

Hey I just got a Daniel Larusso action figure for Christmas from a coworker

Well i know what you're doing the rest of Christmas!!

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 9:54 pm 
Major Dude

Birds in Hell wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

I'm certain that's the view of the HoF and is the reason Matt was included, but I strongly feel that the mythology of Pearl Jam being this incredible, hard-working live band is wildly overstated and, in any case, is much less important than the great songs they recorded earlier in their career. It's those songs people come to the shows to hear, after all.

This guy, he gets it.

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 11:04 pm 
tl;dr

I agree that having a good catalog is more important than being a good touring band. But their stature as a live act is nevertheless a relevant part of their legacy, and not an incredulous thing to take into consideration for this type of honor. This is not the Grammys; it is not an award based exclusively on recordings. And while, no, Pearl Jam are not a working man's, grind-it-out live band touring 10 months out of the year and living in a shitty van, they are a pretty damn great live band, even still -- though we messageboardfolk grumble endlessly about the details of recordings and setlists and performance quality (to the extent that any of us still even pay attention), I really don't think many people leave their concerts disappointed. They tour regularly, are easy enough to catch every few years, and have cultivated a culture around this arrangement. Furthermore, they pioneered an approach to live recordings that has been emulated by many artists, including many of their elders.

This is all stuff that happened during the Matt era. If PJ had stopped when Jack left the band, they'd be remembered as a fan-unfriendly '90's band who had a huge commercial moment and petered out after five albums -- nearly identical to Smashing Pumpkins, who were also first eligible this year and didn't even appear on the ballot.

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 11:19 pm 

Another reason the RnRHoF is dumb and bad - I'd wager, twenty or thirty years hence, Smashing Pumpkins will be seen as being way more interesting and noteworthy than Pearl Jam (if that's not already the case).

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 11:29 pm 

I think that "live band culture" thing is a bit abstract for fans outside of the US; they didn't tour Europe at all for Yield or during the six years between Binaural and S/T and haven't played a really comprehensive tour of Australia since 2006.

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 11:35 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Birds in Hell wrote:
I think that "live band culture" thing is a bit abstract for fans outside of the US; they didn't tour Europe at all for Yield or during the six years between Binaural and S/T and haven't played a really comprehensive tour of Australia since 2006.

yeah but the HoF Induction is in Brooklyn and they play NYC every 3.5 months

PostPosted: Thu December 22, 2016 1:42 am 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

The Argonaut wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Guess I'm going to Cleveland this spring.

Even if the ceremony is in Brooklyn (which kind of seems like a cruel fuck you to Cleveland but whatever), I'm still going to want to go to Cleveland this year to see whatever PJ-centric exhibit they have going. I have no interest in attending the actual induction ceremony. But, yeah, I hope to visit Cleveland next year.

Well, someone should get a hold of me when they're in town then. I know all the best spots to get tacos/beers/weed/stolen cars.

I will not be visiting the rock and roll hall of fame any time soon though. The science center next door destroys it in entertainment/educational value.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2011 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 101  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam