The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2011 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101  Next
 Post subject: Re: HALL OF FAME!!!!!!
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:41 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

spike wrote:
Tuolumne wrote:
I actually want one of those audience recorded bootlegs like the ones from the early 90s where you could hear someone yelling or puking in the background or whatever. Takes you closer to that "vibe" thing.

haha, i thought i was the only one. after spending the 90s listening to true bootlegs, i never could quite get into the official boots for those same reasons. only ever owned a handful, and didn't listen to them as much.

i'd also add that the official boots were too easy to acquire, whereas you had to hunt down the true boots, whether by b&p or by ordering them through your local independent record store. that was part of the fun and fulfillment.

hell yeah, when i had my record store i would have to call a number in germany to order the unofficial boots..its was great

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:44 pm 
Poster of the Year

doug rr wrote:
spike wrote:
Tuolumne wrote:
I actually want one of those audience recorded bootlegs like the ones from the early 90s where you could hear someone yelling or puking in the background or whatever. Takes you closer to that "vibe" thing.

haha, i thought i was the only one. after spending the 90s listening to true bootlegs, i never could quite get into the official boots for those same reasons. only ever owned a handful, and didn't listen to them as much.

i'd also add that the official boots were too easy to acquire, whereas you had to hunt down the true boots, whether by b&p or by ordering them through your local independent record store. that was part of the fun and fulfillment.

hell yeah, when i had my record store i would have to call a number in germany to order the unofficial boots..its was great

Yeah, and then charging us 50 bucks for an incomplete Brixton 93. I'm sure it was great for you.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:46 pm 
The Master

doug rr wrote:
spike wrote:
Tuolumne wrote:

oh man, you were the record store guy? we had this place in the town nearby called soundwaves; the dude and his old lady ran the place. he had binder catalogs of the boots by band, always being updated, that we'd sift through whenever we had the cash. germany, italy, japan, etc. $25 a disc, $50 if it was a double disc entire concert. he kept the live compilation boots on hand, but we usualy had to special order the full shows. it'd take a couple weeks for them to come in; the wait was excruciating.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:46 pm 
The Master

cutuphalfdead wrote:
doug rr wrote:
spike wrote:
Tuolumne wrote:

Yeah, and then charging us 50 bucks for an incomplete Brixton 93. I'm sure it was great for you.

he was just the middle man bro

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:47 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

cutuphalfdead wrote:
doug rr wrote:
spike wrote:
Tuolumne wrote:

i would have refunded your money and threw in a free sting fields of gold

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:48 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

spike wrote:
doug rr wrote:
spike wrote:
Tuolumne wrote:

oh man, you were the record store guy? we had this place in the town nearby called soundwaves; the dude and his old lady ran the place. he had binder catalogs of the boots by band, always being updated, that we'd sift through whenever we had the cash. germany, italy, japan, etc. $25 a disc, $50 if it was a double disc entire concert. he kept the live compilation boots on hand, but we usualy had to special order the full shows. it'd take a couple weeks for them to come in; the wait was excruciating.

yep, I first managed a CD Warehouse in Denver then myself and one of my best customers opened up our own shop..I took all the boot contacts with me..

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:54 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Oh man, we had a few Record Exchange's close by. I loved the days of the imports! Once I moved to Harrisonburg, VA, there was a shop there called Town & Campus that I made a daily ritual of frequenting. The owner was cool & turned me onto some really great bands. He kept a catalog and would order anything you'd want. He ended up getting sued over the Live Import section he had and the litigation bankrupted him. Fuck whoever ratted him out. I hope their karma has paid them back for that.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:45 pm 
tl;dr

Tuolumne wrote:
digster wrote:
I don't really understand the idea that there is some kind of "vibe" that exists independently of the music being played. Without the music being played, there is no vibe.

I also don't think the only way for someone to notice a band is playing poorly is to be some analytical poindexter. More prescient listeners to music may have a more discerning ear as to specifically what's wrong with a particular performance, but I think a casual listener is more than able to pick up on that kind of thing and have it deflate the moment, even if he doesn't necessarily use the language to explain why.

I guess we're getting into intangible territory here, live music. On albums, the music and performances have to be on point. Cause it's gotta be good enough to make me want to go back and listen again and again. So, I'm totally honed in on the vocals and all that shit (although fuck me if I'm saying something like "hey they really should make the 2nd rhythm guitar higher in the mix"). The music either moves me, or it doesn't. Live in concert, it's a give and take, it's an energy, it's a ... yes .. a "vibe". Does it make me wanna jump around? Sing along? "vibe" out? I've got 3 or 4 minutes for a song, no take backs, no re-listening, I either feel it or I don't. Fortunately, I more than feel it with them these days, live they are on point, scratchy vocals and all cause the energy and effort is good enough to make me jam out for those 3-4 minutes per song for the most part.

I think the bootlegs have served their purpose. I don't need them now, and I don't think they're particularly good. I think they are a good relic of those "middle" years. I actually want one of those audience recorded bootlegs like the ones from the early 90s where you could hear someone yelling or puking in the background or whatever. Takes you closer to that "vibe" thing.

I would be glad to record myself talking and belching while a live PJ recording plays in the background and charge $50 for it, if that's gonna take you back. I got "vibe" like you wouldn't believe.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:31 pm 
The Master

TremorJam wrote:
Oh man, we had a few Record Exchange's close by. I loved the days of the imports! Once I moved to Harrisonburg, VA, there was a shop there called Town & Campus that I made a daily ritual of frequenting. The owner was cool & turned me onto some really great bands. He kept a catalog and would order anything you'd want. He ended up getting sued over the Live Import section he had and the litigation bankrupted him. Fuck whoever ratted him out. I hope their karma has paid them back for that.

hahaha, i think the dude that ran my place, soundwaves, ended up getting sued too. we went in one day and it was "no mas" on the import tip, and shortly after, the place turned into more of a bong shop than a record store.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:34 pm 
The Master

Kevin Davis wrote:
Tuolumne wrote:
digster wrote:
I don't really understand the idea that there is some kind of "vibe" that exists independently of the music being played. Without the music being played, there is no vibe.

I also don't think the only way for someone to notice a band is playing poorly is to be some analytical poindexter. More prescient listeners to music may have a more discerning ear as to specifically what's wrong with a particular performance, but I think a casual listener is more than able to pick up on that kind of thing and have it deflate the moment, even if he doesn't necessarily use the language to explain why.

I guess we're getting into intangible territory here, live music. On albums, the music and performances have to be on point. Cause it's gotta be good enough to make me want to go back and listen again and again. So, I'm totally honed in on the vocals and all that shit (although fuck me if I'm saying something like "hey they really should make the 2nd rhythm guitar higher in the mix"). The music either moves me, or it doesn't. Live in concert, it's a give and take, it's an energy, it's a ... yes .. a "vibe". Does it make me wanna jump around? Sing along? "vibe" out? I've got 3 or 4 minutes for a song, no take backs, no re-listening, I either feel it or I don't. Fortunately, I more than feel it with them these days, live they are on point, scratchy vocals and all cause the energy and effort is good enough to make me jam out for those 3-4 minutes per song for the most part.

I think the bootlegs have served their purpose. I don't need them now, and I don't think they're particularly good. I think they are a good relic of those "middle" years. I actually want one of those audience recorded bootlegs like the ones from the early 90s where you could hear someone yelling or puking in the background or whatever. Takes you closer to that "vibe" thing.

I would be glad to record myself talking and belching while a live PJ recording plays in the background and charge $50 for it, if that's gonna take you back. I got "vibe" like you wouldn't believe.

this "vibe" that he speaks of made the imports feel like more of a historical document than the official boots ever did. sort of like how i had a pal who preferred to listen to springsteen's nebraska on a worn cassette tape over the CD because "all the pops and scratches" were still there. didn't sound right all digitized and clean.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:15 pm 
tl;dr

I understand what he means. I never shared the feeling though. Nothing annoyed me more than spending $40 on a CD only to find some dickhead next to the taper had elected to talk through the entire concert.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:49 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

loved the unofficial boots with fake band names printed on the CDs ... then you put it in the CD player and, bam, it's PJ ... one of life's great thrills

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:32 am 
10Club Complaint Department

96583UP wrote:
loved the unofficial boots with fake band names printed on the CDs ... then you put it in the CD player and, bam, it's PJ ... one of life's great thrills

I've still got a few of those. Nostalgia.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:41 am 
The Master

Kevin Davis wrote:
I understand what he means. I never shared the feeling though. Nothing annoyed me more than spending $40 on a CD only to find some dickhead next to the taper had elected to talk through the entire concert.

I mean, there are limits to its charm.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:49 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Boy, people sure will believe any old bullshit was wonderful, so long as it's from before they got old and fat.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:27 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

In case you ever doubted. Danny clinch takes the best photos of pj

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:22 am 
AnalLog

PHATJ wrote:
96583UP wrote:

I've still got a few of those. Nostalgia.

I bought "The doors live in Mexico" bootleg three different times, only to be hosed all 3 times. 1 was the Seattle 1970 concert, the other two were both Vancouver 1970. I already had both of those.
I still don't think to this day, the doors live in Mexico has ever surfaced.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:13 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:
Boy, people sure will believe any old bullshit was wonderful, so long as it's from before they got old and fat.

You must be really fun at parties.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:52 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Bi_3 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

You must be really fun at parties.

PostPosted: Fri July 21, 2017 3:21 am 
Major Dude

Just watching the acceptance speeches, and Stone just can't fucking wait for Ed to shut up. He just looking at him with that SHUT THE FUCK UP! face.

I can't believe you got in, Joey. That's awesome.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2011 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam