The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: This board seems to be a troll fest anymore
PostPosted: Thu February 21, 2013 12:01 am 
Banned from the Pit

I'm sure this will suffer thew same fate as the majority of the other threads here but; why are most topics thrown off course or just some one trolling with a smart-ass answer? There are a few good threads but the majority seem to suffer this fate. Are people just trying to up their post count for some reason?

I used to enjoy reading the forums here, not so much fun anymore.

Youkan

Post subject: Re: This board seems to be a troll fest anymore
PostPosted: Thu February 21, 2013 12:05 am 
AnalLog

i guess it's what happens when PJ doesn't seem to give a shit about recording new music for 3-4 years. cynicism and the occasionnal glimpse of heartfelt nostalgia.

PostPosted: Thu February 21, 2013 12:45 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Plus no one likes Pearl Jam anymore.

PostPosted: Thu February 21, 2013 12:46 am 
AnalLog

As far as I know, it aways was like this.

PostPosted: Thu February 21, 2013 12:52 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Well I guess Youkan Fakoff.

PostPosted: Thu February 21, 2013 12:58 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

This board seems to be a troll fest anymore

PostPosted: Thu February 21, 2013 3:04 am 
AnalLog

Sorry to hijack the thread, but hey, Youkan! How ya been? :)

PostPosted: Thu February 21, 2013 3:12 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Pretty excited for the new album.

PostPosted: Thu February 21, 2013 3:14 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

The problem is, the two great RM trolls are no longer with us and the veterans that have tried to assume their roles are not very good at it.

PostPosted: Thu February 21, 2013 3:23 am 
A Return To Form
 WWW  Profile

It seems like there is a core of people on this board who would just assume talk to each other and don't care for anyone else that tries to get into the discussion.

I can't get used to all the PJ related negativity. I was interested in posting here because I wanted to chat with people who shared the same enthusiasm for the band that I do. I don't expect everyone to be the blind optimist that I am but the negativity can be overwhelming. I am not much of a Nirvana fan. I enjoy some of their work, but overall I don't get excited about them. For that reason, I could't imagine posting on a Nirvana message board. It doesn't make any sense to me. Why would I waste my time on this board if I hated Backspacer, Matt Cameron, and everything the band has done since Jack Irons left. That is why Five Horizons shut their doors right? They just weren't fans anymore?

The worst thing I have noticed since I have been posting is how rude people can be to you if they feel like it. I was having fun in the create a concept album thread. I would throw a song out here and there. One time I had the last song so it was on me to create a new category. I threw out "music by canadian bands" I didn't strain to think about the next great thread idea. I just threw something out. For the first time in about 40 lists, some asshole says the category sucks and starts his own. It was rude, and a turn off. Not the way to create a community.

I hope when PJ starts playing shows and the last 50% of the new album is finished fans of the band will be back to discuss all of the exciting things that are sure to be going on. Unfortunately, my guess is that most of the talk will be about where the don't tour, who the drummer should be, and how the new album is the biggest piece of shit in the music industry since Backspacer.

PostPosted: Thu February 21, 2013 3:35 am 
Gone

I think 2011 was a pretty decent year for me as a fan. I didn't have much negativity towards the band that I recall. That was mostly nostalgia based though, I was probably still referencing how Backspacer sucked the whole time...

PostPosted: Thu February 21, 2013 3:43 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Brainof23 and Youkan Fakoff, my advice is to just have fun and don't take anything too serious. Just know that most of the a-holes you are talking about are not worth your time. There are some on the board that are more worried about crafting their RM personas than adding anything meaningful to a conversation.

PostPosted: Thu February 21, 2013 3:52 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

turned2black wrote:
Brainof23 and Youkan Fakoff, my advice is to just have fun and don't take anything too serious. Just know that most of the a-holes you are talking about are not worth your time. There are some on the board that are more worried about crafting their RM personas than adding anything meaningful to a conversation.

I hope you aren't referring to me, because I can make a pretty good argument for "Get Right" being a great song.

That was a serious post, btw.

PostPosted: Thu February 21, 2013 4:04 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Brainof23 wrote:
The worst thing I have noticed since I have been posting is how rude people can be to you if they feel like it. I was having fun in the create a concept album thread. I would throw a song out here and there. One time I had the last song so it was on me to create a new category. I threw out "music by canadian bands" I didn't strain to think about the next great thread idea. I just threw something out. For the first time in about 40 lists, some asshole says the category sucks and starts his own. It was rude, and a turn off. Not the way to create a community.

That was chud. He has a giant gaping love-shaped hole in his chest, and lashes out in his anguish.

PostPosted: Thu February 21, 2013 4:12 am 
Poster of the Year

theplatypus wrote:
Brainof23 wrote:

That was chud. He has a giant gaping love-shaped hole in his chest, and lashes out in his anguish.

PostPosted: Thu February 21, 2013 4:21 am 
10Club Complaint Department

I think the tone of the board is easily misread if you're new or don't spend much time here.

Generally speaking, I don't think there's much unbridled negativity on RM. There's snark, humour and flippancy but also plenty of genuine (if not uncritical) fandom from almost every poster.

PostPosted: Thu February 21, 2013 4:34 am 
A Return To Form
 WWW  Profile

The thread for "General Pearl Jam Bitching" is pinned. That says a lot to me.

PostPosted: Thu February 21, 2013 4:55 am 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

Brainof23 wrote:
The thread for "General Pearl Jam Bitching" is pinned. That says a lot to me.

I think that's part of the sense of humour Birds In Hell is referring too.

PostPosted: Thu February 21, 2013 5:00 am 
10Club Complaint Department

I agree with spenno.

When I initially started posting here I thought this place was a negative pit, which was fine with me. I had spent some time posting at the pit and had quickly grown tired of all the raging retardedness that happens there (ie. the fan boy "pearl jam can do no wrong" nonsense that 97% of the posters adhere to there). Therefor the perceived negativity here was quite a breath of fresh air. After posting on RM for quite some time and getting a feel for the general disposition of the core group of posters, I didn't have nearly the same sense of overall negativity that I initially had. And that's good too. People here are free to love or hate, praise or bash as they please. Often loving one thing in one sentence and bashing another thing in the next. It's far more interesting this way and it leads to better conversation.

Also, to the op, this is an internet message board. If you post more than zero times you are bound to be bashed or made fun of or ignored eventually. In comparison to almost all message board communities out there RM is a pretty damned accepting group to newbies and posters with lackluster contributions (ie. you). I suggest you grow some thicker skin and hang around long enough to understand the nuances of this place and eventually you may begin to appreciate it more then you do now.

PostPosted: Thu February 21, 2013 5:04 am 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

PHATJ wrote:
Also, to the op, this is an internet message board. If you post more than zero times you are bound to be bashed or made fun of or ignored eventually. In comparison to almost all message board communities out there RM is a pretty damned accepting group to newbies and posters with lackluster contributions (ie. you). I suggest you grow some thicker skin and hang around long enough to understand the nuances of this place and eventually you may begin to appreciate it more then you do now.

You've got to pay your dues.

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam