The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Dave A Solo Album?
PostPosted: Fri June 09, 2017 5:04 am 
Offline
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 11:39 am
Posts: 560
evenslow wrote:
Got Some wrote:
Daves Parole Captain

This is the dumbest thing ever and I love it.



Thank you


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dave A Solo Album?
PostPosted: Sun April 01, 2018 3:24 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 11859
This compilation of videos from the Vs tour is great, including Go and Animal from Dave Abbruzze's final show with the band (at 11:42):



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dave A Solo Album?
PostPosted: Sun April 01, 2018 3:27 am 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 1:10 am
Posts: 2422
Man, Go from '94 is terrifying.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dave A Solo Album?
PostPosted: Sun April 01, 2018 3:31 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 11859
Very much a different vibe to the shows a year later with Jack.

The intensity and energy coming off the band in those videos radiates through the screen, even now.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dave A Solo Album?
PostPosted: Sun April 01, 2018 5:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 06, 2013 2:47 am
Posts: 19011
Location: Hunter
It was aggressive and impenetrable. There's something about Dave's feel that I can't put my finger on it but it feels right. Every beat that guy played had conviction and was so fucking present. I heard the PJ with Jay Z 99 Problems today and that could have done with Dave's feel and his attack (and drum sound).


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dave A Solo Album?
PostPosted: Sun April 01, 2018 5:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 13692
Location: Where everybody knows your name
LetMeSleep wrote:
It was aggressive and impenetrable. There's something about Dave's feel that I can't put my finger on it but it feels right. Every beat that guy played had conviction and was so fucking present.

God yes


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dave A Solo Album?
PostPosted: Sun April 01, 2018 7:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Stone's Bitch
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:47 pm
Posts: 6813
Location: unnamed mental hospital
wease wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
It was aggressive and impenetrable. There's something about Dave's feel that I can't put my finger on it but it feels right. Every beat that guy played had conviction and was so fucking present.

God yes

The funny part is that he plays really well off of Stone in a weird way (instead of Jeff). Stone and Dave's sense of groove was right on.

_________________
Strat wrote:
Alas, we are RM


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dave A Solo Album?
PostPosted: Sun April 01, 2018 7:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 06, 2013 2:47 am
Posts: 19011
Location: Hunter
evenslow wrote:
wease wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
It was aggressive and impenetrable. There's something about Dave's feel that I can't put my finger on it but it feels right. Every beat that guy played had conviction and was so fucking present.

God yes

The funny part is that he plays really well off of Stone in a weird way (instead of Jeff). Stone and Dave's sense of groove was right on.

He was unique in that he locked with Jeff yet played off both Stone and Ed. There are many examples of little flourishes playing off Ed's vox.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dave A Solo Album?
PostPosted: Sun April 01, 2018 10:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 11859
I think Ed has sung differently with each drummer too, both Dave and Jack somehow gave him more space for expression, as though there was more space left in the music for him to fit. Singing over Matt's drums, it feels like he has to push out so much more air (even aside from the speed and him being older, etc.)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dave A Solo Album?
PostPosted: Tue April 03, 2018 12:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Stone's Bitch
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:47 pm
Posts: 6813
Location: unnamed mental hospital
Birds in Hell wrote:
I think Ed has sung differently with each drummer too, both Dave and Jack somehow gave him more space for expression, as though there was more space left in the music for him to fit. Singing over Matt's drums, it feels like he has to push out so much more air (even aside from the speed and him being older, etc.)

good point

_________________
Strat wrote:
Alas, we are RM


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dave A Solo Album?
PostPosted: Tue April 03, 2018 1:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 36366
Location: Mountains
Birds in Hell wrote:
I think Ed has sung differently with each drummer too, both Dave and Jack somehow gave him more space for expression, as though there was more space left in the music for him to fit. Singing over Matt's drums, it feels like he has to push out so much more air (even aside from the speed and him being older, etc.)


I dont think Ed was that way in 98-2000. And during Dave and Jacks tenure ed was still trying to figure out his voice. I think he made conscious decision to change the way he sang after other bands/record execs/radio stations started looking for Vedder clones. I remember him kind of speaking about that in an interview pre yield.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Dave A Solo Album?
PostPosted: Fri April 06, 2018 12:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 13692
Location: Where everybody knows your name
Birds in Hell wrote:
This compilation of videos from the Vs tour is great, including Go and Animal from Dave Abbruzze's final show with the band (at 11:42):


Look! It’s when Stone actually cared!


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed November 14, 2018 7:04 am