The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam - Definitive Live Versions (a Green Habit sequ
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:40 am 
Broken Tamborine

I'm not the biggest All or None fan but that Paris version is pretty nice.

I'd definitely be in favor of including Arc. It did get officially released as part of Water on the Road and the goal of the comp is to represent Riot Act, not 2003. I see no reason not to put it on.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:50 am 
Future Drummer

Arc defenders make some good points - once it was put on an official release it kind of became back on the table. FTIW it was put on the Green Habit comp in any case.

I think the best option might be to include it, and then those you don't want it can simply remove it.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:24 am 
Broken Tamborine

New user here, but been following this topic since its beginning. Thanks ridleybradout and everybody else helping for getting it done.

Some suggestions for Riot Act:

Can't Keep
- Brisbane 2003-02-08
- Or any from 2013 / 2014 that Ed uses the Ukulele in fact, sounds good

Save You
- Easy Street 2005-04-29: nice drum fill at the beginning that sets the energy of this version.

Love Boat Captain
- Kitchener 2005-09-11: No organ intro, but nice ending with crowd response.

Cropduster
- New York 2003-07-08: Matt is on fire; "dig a hole in the Garden" inside joke; second verse for crowd in the back that reacts going nuts; back vocals by Stone on spot.

You Are
- London, ON 2005-09-12

Green Disease
- Philly 2005-10-03: Matt keeps the drum kick as he did at the studio record and adds nice ghost notes at the drum snare, mainly at the intro, but also during the whole song. Consistent performance from the others too...

Help Help
- Adelaide 2003-02-16

Bu$hleaguer
- Brisbane 2003-02-08: Nice solos and fills by Mike; Ed and the band did not make the usual tempo mistake they have in the "With onionskin plausibility of life, and a keyboard reaffirmation" part; and nice lyric (repeats "disgusting") add from Ed at the end.

Half Full
- Easy Street 2005-04-29

Arc
- Agree with Water On The Road (Ed Solo)

All Or None
- Boston 2003-07-11

Undone
- Gorge 2005-09-01

Last Soldier
- The one that was used for Xmas Single

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:36 am 
Future Drummer

Thanks for the suggestions Johnny and welcome to the board! :)

Will take a listen to those here that I haven't auditioned yet :thumbsup:

I listened to the Brisbane Bu$hleaguer the other day and thought Ed actually messed up the timing of the 'onionskin' line...

I also listened to Green Disease from 2005-10-03 and really liked it, currently ahead of Leeds 2006 which has a minor lyric flub in the first chorus.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:50 am 
Broken Tamborine

ridleybradout wrote:

I listened to the Brisbane Bu$hleaguer the other day and thought Ed actually messed up the timing of the 'onionskin' line...

I also listened to Green Disease from 2005-10-03 and really liked it, currently ahead of Leeds 2006 which has a minor lyric flub in the first chorus.

Thanks for the kind words! :)

Yeah, you are right about Ed's timing at Bushleaguer, is not in the right way.. what I was really worried was about any major impact in the "Blackout weaves" timing after that... they messed up this part in some occasions...

I was listening right now to the version that they used at video for this song in LATG DVD and it sounded good. Not sure from what concert it was taken.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:03 am 
Future Drummer

Johnny Turner wrote:
ridleybradout wrote:

Thanks for the kind words! :)

Yeah, you are right about Ed's timing at Bushleaguer, is not in the right way.. what I was really worried was about any major impact in the "Blackout weaves" timing after that... they messed up this part in some occasions...

I was listening right now to the version that they used at video for this song in LATG DVD and it sounded good. Not sure from what concert it was taken.

I'm pretty sure that's Denver 2003-04-01, which is the version I'm probably going to use :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:26 am 
Future Drummer

Johnny Turner wrote:

Cropduster
- New York 2003-07-08: Matt is on fire; "dig a hole in the Garden" inside joke; second verse for crowd in the back that reacts going nuts; back vocals by Stone on spot.

Check out Sydney #3. I think I prefer it slightly. Everything falls into place with that version. Better singing and better lead guitar.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:48 am 
Broken Tamborine

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
Johnny Turner wrote:

Cropduster

Check out Sydney #3. I think I prefer it slightly. Everything falls into place with that version. Better singing and better lead guitar.

Very tight version indeed, really liked what I listened there. Thanks! Just have the feeling that the second verse is missing something, but It is probably because I already get used to the LATG version..

Sydney #2 also has some great drumming, but some lyrics mistakes in the very beginning.. Sydney #3 sounds like a good choice

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:13 am 
Future Drummer

has the uniondale bushleaguer been considered? i remember the crowd was not kind to that one. i don't have that version on hand and don't remember how good the performance is, i just remember you hear a lot of booing and it's kind of fun to listen to because of it.

edit: here's a video

"i busted out the nice suit for you, yeah? ...you didn't like that one." :haha:

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:41 am 
Future Drummer

AndySlash wrote:
has the uniondale bushleaguer been considered? i remember the crowd was not kind to that one. i don't have that version on hand and don't remember how good the performance is, i just remember you hear a lot of booing and it's kind of fun to listen to because of it.

edit: here's a video

"i busted out the nice suit for you, yeah? ...you didn't like that one." :haha:

It's definitely the most infamous performance, but far from the best.

I had a listen to the Live at the Garden version and I think it's actually a hybrid of multiple different versions.

Have a listen to the Mexico City version - very tight and rockin :nice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzYHDE1WiQw&t=4465s

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:46 pm 
Future Drummer

Almost there with finalising Riot Act now but need some help with these two:

Green Disease
- Philly 2005-10-03
- Dallas 2003-06-09

Dallas is probably the pick of the 2003 versions. The 2005-2006 versions are probably a bit tighter, but seem to be lacking something (not just Ed's guitar in the verses, which as discussed above can be an advantage). I also much prefer the 2003 guitar tone for this one. Open to suggestions of other 2003-2006 versions, as none I've found seem to have that wow factor.

Get Right
- Uniondale 2003-04-30
- Hershey 2003-07-12

Uniondale is great, amazing Mike solos in the second half, however there is some distracting squealing feedback in the second verse that I just can't seem to get past. Hershey is almost as good, and free of feedback.

Would appreciate any feedback (excuse the pun) on these two...

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:10 am 
Future Drummer

"Don't worry about that... Christ, where would rock and roll be without feedback?" - David Gilmour

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:13 am 
Future Drummer

The problem I have with the Hershey "Get Right" is that you can't hear Mike very well, and he makes the second half of the song. The feedback in Uniondale doesn't bother me because Mike rips it up.

I mean, there are a few instances of light monitor feedback on the new Neil Young album, and it's still one of the greatest live records ever released, so....

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:22 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

ridleybradout wrote:
Almost there with finalising Riot Act now but need some help with these two:

Green Disease
- Philly 2005-10-03
- Dallas 2003-06-09

Dallas is probably the pick of the 2003 versions. The 2005-2006 versions are probably a bit tighter, but seem to be lacking something (not just Ed's guitar in the verses, which as discussed above can be an advantage). I also much prefer the 2003 guitar tone for this one. Open to suggestions of other 2003-2006 versions, as none I've found seem to have that wow factor.

Get Right
- Uniondale 2003-04-30
- Hershey 2003-07-12

Uniondale is great, amazing Mike solos in the second half, however there is some distracting squealing feedback in the second verse that I just can't seem to get past. Hershey is almost as good, and free of feedback.

Would appreciate any feedback (excuse the pun) on these two...

Green Disease isn't my favourite tune on Riot Act so will leave others to comment on that. Get Right however was one of my faves from the album that never seemed to hit it right live. The version I saw live was almost a train wreck. Have listened to Uniondale and Hershey and throw my weight solidly behind the Uniondale version. The feedback is no big deal for me and the driving rhythm of stone's palm mutes strikes is on target and Mike's solos are awesome. Only thing letting this version down is a very slight misstep at the very end, like Mike thought they were going for another bar.

The Herhshey tale is an interesting mix - the backup vocals are really strong in the mix which is odd to me. Ed has some cool vocal things throughout that make it interesting, but where it falls down for me is mike's solos! Overuse of effects doesn't work for me and the delay sound doesn't seem right.

Great job for narrowing it down to two!

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:08 am 
Future Drummer

Ok, that's 3 votes for Uniondale so far.

Another toughie is 'Down'. All the good 2003 versions I've found either have Ed talking over the intro, or Matt drumming one-handed during the first verse (using the easy pace/rhythm to grab a drink?).

There's a great 2006 version - Boston 2006-06-24 - which is the current front-runner, but again I do prefer the guitar sound of 2003...

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:39 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Philly 2005 Green Disease is my personal preference. I think Ed's guitar playing is sloppy on most versions from 2003, but this one sounds tight and it has a momentum that really drives it forward. A tad fast perhaps, but still better than 2003 imo.

Don't sleep on Chicago 2003, though. Ed was sick that night, but it doesn't show on most songs. He's totally into this song. He changes the lyrics slightly in the second verse, so you might not want that. But it's strong stuff. The second chorus is great, with Ed singing "I'm asking you to sway... just a little just a little" and it sounds fun!

Have you considered Mexico City 2003 night 1 for 'Get Right'? Jeff's bass seems really clear and funky, no feedback at the end and no lyric flubs. Pretty strong overall :)

I hate to add another option just to make it more difficult, but Montreal 2003 has a brilliant version of 'Down' :) No talking during the intro, Ed gets the words right, and it's all just great!

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:14 pm 
Future Drummer

Uniondale again for "Down".

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:29 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

It’s been a while since I’ve listened but You Are from Alpine Valley was something.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:53 pm 
Future Drummer

Teeeeeekay wrote:
It’s been a while since I’ve listened but You Are from Alpine Valley was something.

That was a strong version - however there is a lyric flub in the second chorus ('darkening hour').

BootsToAsses wrote:
Philly 2005 Green Disease is my personal preference. I think Ed's guitar playing is sloppy on most versions from 2003, but this one sounds tight and it has a momentum that really drives it forward. A tad fast perhaps, but still better than 2003 imo.

Don't sleep on Chicago 2003, though. Ed was sick that night, but it doesn't show on most songs. He's totally into this song. He changes the lyrics slightly in the second verse, so you might not want that. But it's strong stuff. The second chorus is great, with Ed singing "I'm asking you to sway... just a little just a little" and it sounds fun!

Have you considered Mexico City 2003 night 1 for 'Get Right'? Jeff's bass seems really clear and funky, no feedback at the end and no lyric flubs. Pretty strong overall :)

I hate to add another option just to make it more difficult, but Montreal 2003 has a brilliant version of 'Down' :) No talking during the intro, Ed gets the words right, and it's all just great!

I'm still not convinced on Philly 05 'Green Disease'. Have you heard Dallas 03? I don't detect any sloppiness there. Chicago 03 is the 'Creed Disease' version - so obviously out due to lyric changes.

Montreal and Uniondale 'Down' both have the bridge vocal lines swapped around, like many 2003 versions. I think Boston 06 might be the winner - I think it sounds more sprightly than any of the 2003 versions.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:20 am 
Future Drummer

Finalising Riot Act right now, but we just discovered my copy of Council Bluff's Save You is MP3 sourced :evil:

Does anyone have a FLAC copy of this track handy that you could upload for us quickly?...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 38  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam