The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam - Definitive Live Versions (a Green Habit sequ
PostPosted: Sun September 18, 2016 11:47 pm 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

evenslow wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
"Release" -- lots of takes to choose from, but I think early versions of this tend to spotlight a lot of Ed's worst traits from that period -- a sort of "hurr durr" showcase, if you will. I am a big fan of the Bonner Springs '03 version, where Ed sees the lightning flash and says "hi, Dad."

Could not agree more.

+1

PostPosted: Sun September 18, 2016 11:52 pm 
Future Drummer

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
Brad, are you arranging the set into three "eras", with all songs represented in each era? I think perhaps you should, and release it in three parts.

I did consider that idea but I think it could get out of hand! Since there are so many other big compilations featuring just Matt (LO3L, Lowlight79's etc) I was thinking a separate project might be to do a 'Best of the Dave A years' and 'Best of the Jack years' comp. I've been holding out for another Jack vault show to give us more to work with for this though...

As for arranging this comp, I was thinking rather than try to blend the various sources together, it might be best to have a fade-in/fade-out for each track (like the PJ20 soundtrack for example), so that each track kind of stands alone and can be arranged and rearranged based on the listener - e.g. play tracks from a particular year/era, an album front-to-back etc. The Green Habit comp was great for putting on random, but having the introduction to the next song play at the end of every track was a tad annoying.

Great idea to include the two Mirrorball tracks - I freakin love Act of Love from DC so would love to see it included :nice:

I've updated the spreadsheet, and put my own in-progress list in there rather than post in the thread. I've noticed that I have very few 2005 tracks, probably because I've never really liked the sound of them (Matt's drums in particular) so it's good to see some suggestions from this tour as I know it was a good'un. I also don't have many South American tracks so bring on some suggestions Vinylguy et al.!

Download the update list here and email your suggestions to my username at hotmail dot com :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon September 19, 2016 12:00 am 
Banned from the Pit

This will be fun! I remember when the green habit thing came out years ago. good times.

Given to fly from atlanta 2012 was pretty great. I was there.

Its my only show to date, give me a break. :D

PostPosted: Mon September 19, 2016 12:13 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

1/2 Full - Easy Street
Improv / Immortality - Nagoya 2003
All or None - Benaroyal Hall 2003
Ole - Ottawa 2011
Insignificance - Salzburg, Austria 2000
State of Love and Trust - Melbourne 1998
Better Man - Touring Band 2000
Long Road - Virginia Beach 2000 {or} Tribute to Heroes 2001
Lightning Bolt - Lexington 2016

PostPosted: Mon September 19, 2016 12:22 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I do like 1/2 full at easy street.

PostPosted: Mon September 19, 2016 12:27 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I'll let you guys know the best version of Get Right soon

PostPosted: Mon September 19, 2016 12:36 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Let's retcon that one and pick up a cover song.

PostPosted: Mon September 19, 2016 12:38 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

PostPosted: Mon September 19, 2016 12:52 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

San Diego 06-05-2003

PostPosted: Mon September 19, 2016 1:13 am 
The Master

WtOB? wrote:
evenslow wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
"Release" -- lots of takes to choose from, but I think early versions of this tend to spotlight a lot of Ed's worst traits from that period -- a sort of "hurr durr" showcase, if you will. I am a big fan of the Bonner Springs '03 version, where Ed sees the lightning flash and says "hi, Dad."

Could not agree more.

+1

My first show, it is the definitive version in my eyes.

PostPosted: Mon September 19, 2016 1:20 am 
tl;dr

ridleybradout wrote:
Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
Brad, are you arranging the set into three "eras", with all songs represented in each era? I think perhaps you should, and release it in three parts.

I did consider that idea but I think it could get out of hand! Since there are so many other big compilations featuring just Matt (LO3L, Lowlight79's etc) I was thinking a separate project might be to do a 'Best of the Dave A years' and 'Best of the Jack years' comp. I've been holding out for another Jack vault show to give us more to work with for this though...

As for arranging this comp, I was thinking rather than try to blend the various sources together, it might be best to have a fade-in/fade-out for each track (like the PJ20 soundtrack for example), so that each track kind of stands alone and can be arranged and rearranged based on the listener - e.g. play tracks from a particular year/era, an album front-to-back etc. The Green Habit comp was great for putting on random, but having the introduction to the next song play at the end of every track was a tad annoying.

Great idea to include the two Mirrorball tracks - I freakin love Act of Love from DC so would love to see it included :nice:

I've updated the spreadsheet, and put my own in-progress list in there rather than post in the thread. I've noticed that I have very few 2005 tracks, probably because I've never really liked the sound of them (Matt's drums in particular) so it's good to see some suggestions from this tour as I know it was a good'un. I also don't have many South American tracks so bring on some suggestions Vinylguy et al.!

Download the update list here and email your suggestions to my username at hotmail dot com :thumbsup:

The fade-in/-out thing is a good idea -- unlike the tour-specific comps, editing the applause together for this so as to give the illusion of a continuous performance would require significant suspension of disbelief, especially as even the official boots vary pretty significantly in sonic character. Using the PJ20 album as a reference point, I wonder if this format doesn't open up the opportunity to use a few lower quality recordings if the volume levels can be made consistent. Not that that's an ideal way of doing things, but there are a few songs in particular whose definitive live versions aren't available in optimal quality -- in particular, "Who You Are," whose only Jack-era soundboard version has (IIRC) a lyrical flub (I don't think the Matt versions of this quite cut it, but I haven't heard them all). "Around the Bend" is another one -- there are a few good Matt versions out there, but I think the best ones are Barcelona '96 and Maui '98. Just depends on whether continuity of sound invariably trumps quality of performance -- I'd imagine there's an artful way to work a couple audience recordings in, but I can understand why one might prefer otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon September 19, 2016 2:48 am 
Future Drummer

You make a good case KD, I'm sure we can open the door to the possibility of audience recordings in those special cases where the bootleg-era versions don't cut it.

Just realised I forgot to include 'Arc', which obviously doesn't appear on any official boots. GH had an audience recording from San Diego (2003-06-05). Another possibility is the soundboard version from EV's 'Water On The Road' DVD, given the song is Ed solo anyway...

PostPosted: Mon September 19, 2016 5:23 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

San Diego 06-05-2003

this is a great show all round. excellent DTE.

PostPosted: Mon September 19, 2016 9:35 am 
Future Drummer

WtOB? wrote:
All or None - Benaroyal Hall 2003

Word. Plus I'd like to throw this Present Tense in for consideration:

PostPosted: Mon September 19, 2016 9:43 am 
Future Drummer

Lots of great DtE's out there but I've always loved the live take from Monkeywrench in particular:

But I can also see why it perhaps wouldn't qualify for inclusion...

PostPosted: Mon September 19, 2016 11:32 am 
Broken Tamborine

Otherside not on the list?

I might be in the minority, but my favorite All or None was always Night 2 MSG 03.

PostPosted: Mon September 19, 2016 11:59 am 
Broken Tamborine

I'd like to throw in my two cents. Literally all I got in a thread like this.

Down - Uniondale 2003 (already mentioned by WCT above)
Black - Rosemont 2000 (Mike's solo plus Eddie's brief tag at the end are really good)

I feel like Uniondale had another really good performance, maybe Nothingman, but I don't have access to the show now. Also that part at the end where Ed gets pissed and sings RITFW really angrily, chanting USA-USA.

If anything this thread just reminded me how good those last 3 shows of 2003 NA Leg 1 were.

Last edited by chuck taylor on Mon September 19, 2016 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon September 19, 2016 1:44 pm 
Lost Cat

For Sonic Reducer, my vote is the version from the Orpheum '94 with Mark Arm. Also, as a general note, I think deference should be given to songs played closest to the year in which they were recorded, so, for example, if there is a 2016 version of a song from Ten (yeah right) that would be tied with a version from '92, the '92 version should be used. Just my thought. Love what you guys are doing on these boards, btw!

PostPosted: Mon September 19, 2016 1:47 pm 

surforia wrote:
For Sonic Reducer, my vote is the version from the Orpheum '94 with Mark Arm. Also, as a general note, I think deference should be given to songs played closest to the year in which they were recorded, so, for example, if there is a 2016 version of a song from Ten (yeah right) that would be tied with a version from '92, the '92 version should be used. Just my thought. Love what you guys are doing on these boards, btw!

I think that is an extreme example, though. You aren't going to find that, but you might find a version played in 2000 that was as good as one played in 1996. I'm ok with using the 2000 one in that instance.

PostPosted: Mon September 19, 2016 3:43 pm 
AnalLog

How will this discussion be organized?

A couple of thoughts after reading through the beginnings of this thread:

Do the Evolution from LO2L always felt like the definitive version to me. You can't beat that scream at the end.
Footsteps - Memphis 2000
Daughter - tough to argue with Jones Beach, but I'd like to put Milan 2000 and West Palm 2003 up for consideration

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 38  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam