The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam - Definitive Live Versions (a Green Habit sequ
PostPosted: Fri August 31, 2018 12:35 am 
Banned from the Pit

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Dissident wrote:
Does anybody have a theory as to why they decide to play deep cuts in front of a stadium audience having maybe rehearsed the song once as a band these days?

They have been doing this since around 2009. They probably realized they could get away with anything when the fanbase majorly creamed their pants over that horrible run of Philly shows.

That run of shows made me realize I'd much rather not hear No Way than hear No Way performed poorly.

The funniest thing is that for many years I stuck up for "Evacuation" when everybody shit on it and said it was a horrible song.

So what do I get at my Philly show? The worst-ever performance of "Evacuation".

That was enough for me.

I also listened to this and wow... just wow. If the band doesn’t care about their songs, why should you? Can I have some more suggestions for comedy gold? Do you think the band has ever listened to Pearl Jam before?

Last edited by Dissident on Fri August 31, 2018 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri August 31, 2018 12:35 am 
Poster of the Year

That run could have been great (despite sped up songs and ed's modern vocalization) had they just rehearsed the rarities and not gotten shitfaced.

PostPosted: Fri August 31, 2018 12:37 am 
Future Drummer

Dissident wrote:

I also listened to this and wow... just wow. If the band doesn’t care about their songs, why should you? Can o have some more suggestions for comedy gold?

The Philly run is loaded with moments like that. Just start with the first show and work your way through. The comedy never stops.

PostPosted: Fri August 31, 2018 12:37 am 
Poster of the Year

The first encore of night 3 is alright. They played a solid Parting Ways.

PostPosted: Fri August 31, 2018 12:38 am 
Banned from the Pit

Dissident wrote:

I also listened to this and wow... just wow. If the band doesn’t care about their songs, why should you? Can o have some more suggestions for comedy gold?

The Philly run is loaded with moments like that. Just start with the first show and work your way through. The comedy never stops.

I think Ed’s voice cracking as he yells “yeahhh!” before Corduroy on the first night is a sign of things to come. I’ve got it on right now. Bugs from this run of shows makes it on the “Definitive Live” compilation by default. Haha.

PostPosted: Fri August 31, 2018 12:45 am 
Future Drummer

Dissident wrote:
Do you think the band has ever listened to Pearl Jam before?

I'm more amazed that the fanbase can't tell a good performance from a bad one. You would think that run of Philly shows was their crowning achievement if you read about it on the pit. They are constantly being mentioned in "pick me some shows to buy" threads too. It's pretty ridiculous. That's why I will never let a moment pass to mention how shitty those shows were. Plus I was there, so the people who always say "you don't know because you weren't there" can suck my dick.

PostPosted: Fri August 31, 2018 12:56 am 
Banned from the Pit

Dissident wrote:
Do you think the band has ever listened to Pearl Jam before?

I'm more amazed that the fanbase can't tell a good performance from a bad one. You would think that run of Philly shows was their crowning achievement if you read about it on the pit. They are constantly being mentioned in "pick me some shows to buy" threads too. It's pretty ridiculous. That's why I will never let a moment pass to mention how shitty those shows were. Plus I was there, so the people who always say "you don't know because you weren't there" can suck my dick.

I’m guessing they were trying to do the Mansfield ‘03 thing, but they didn’t practice? Even though they had 18 days off between shows? Honestly, the reason I stopped listening to the bootlegs obsessively was because I ordered the Bonnaroo 2008 show on CD and when I listened to it, I was so horrified by the performance it killed my will to go through the trouble of looking for the shows past that.

PostPosted: Fri August 31, 2018 12:58 am 
Poster of the Year

I was at all 3 Mansfield shows and all 4 Philly shows. Philly doesn't hold a candle to what they pulled off in Mansfield. And Mansfield had its own problems too.

PostPosted: Fri August 31, 2018 1:02 am 
Future Drummer

Dissident wrote:
Honestly, the reason I stopped listening to the bootlegs obsessively was because I ordered the Bonnaroo 2008 show on CD and when I listened to it, I was so horrified by the performance it killed my will to go through the trouble of looking for the shows past that.

Yup. That was the beginning of the end for me too. The actual end was when I went to the Philly shows. Totally killed my interest in the band. Haven't bought a new bootleg since.

PostPosted: Fri August 31, 2018 1:07 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Plus, for trying to play every song in the catalog, they didn't even attempt Get Right. Fuck them

PostPosted: Fri August 31, 2018 1:08 am 
Poster of the Year

but they played the fixer every night

PostPosted: Fri August 31, 2018 1:12 am 
Banned from the Pit

cutuphalfdead wrote:
but they played the fixer every night

Man, you must have treasured those two and a half minutes those four nights. They didn’t even play Help Help... what the hell?

PostPosted: Fri August 31, 2018 1:23 am 
Future Drummer

Dissident wrote:
Has anybody thought of making a compilation of cringe-worthy performances? The worst vocal flubs and squeaks? The band playing in six different time zones? Do they rehearse anymore?

I think we did have a thread for trainwreck performances a while back, and I did consider making a compilation for it.

But I can't even get the motivation up to work on the Covers discs for this, so I can't see it ever happening.

PostPosted: Fri August 31, 2018 1:27 am 
Banned from the Pit

Rival from Philly I is also very very bad. Immortality was pretty bad too. Ed mutes the notes on one of the opening picked chords and forgets the lyrics. Rival is Evacuation-level bad though.

PostPosted: Fri August 31, 2018 1:35 am 
A Return To Form

ridleybradout wrote:
But I can't even get the motivation up to work on the Covers discs for this, so I can't see it ever happening.

:(

Really looking forward to this when it's done...

PostPosted: Fri August 31, 2018 2:34 am 
The Master

The Philly 2009 trainwreck pretty much killed any interest I had in boots outside of the shows I attend.

PostPosted: Fri August 31, 2018 7:18 am 
Banned from the Pit

ridleybradout wrote:
Dissident wrote:
Has anybody thought of making a compilation of cringe-worthy performances? The worst vocal flubs and squeaks? The band playing in six different time zones? Do they rehearse anymore?

I think we did have a thread for trainwreck performances a while back, and I did consider making a compilation for it.

Can we please call that compilation “Loss of Agency”?

PostPosted: Fri August 31, 2018 3:44 pm 
The Master

Dissident wrote:
ridleybradout wrote:
Dissident wrote:

more like "Pearl Jam: 2009-2018" amirite?!

PostPosted: Fri August 31, 2018 9:09 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Strat wrote:
Dissident wrote:
ridleybradout wrote:
Dissident wrote:

Habit from Werchter this week must be a shoe-in for this. A new level of give-no-fucks, it turned into a Trainwreck so they just gave up half way through, you can hear Ed go "ahh fuck it, next song".

The perfect summation of modern day PJ, on one hand they raise 10 mil or whatever it was for homeless charities, but on the other they can't be fucked to even half learn their own songs.

PostPosted: Sat September 01, 2018 6:55 am 
Banned from the Pit

EwanRider wrote:
Strat wrote:
Dissident wrote:
ridleybradout wrote:
Dissident wrote:

Habit from Werchter this week must be a shoe-in for this. A new level of give-no-fucks, it turned into a Trainwreck so they just gave up half way through, you can hear Ed go "ahh fuck it, next song".

The perfect summation of modern day PJ, on one hand they raise 10 mil or whatever it was for homeless charities, but on the other they can't be fucked to even half learn their own songs.

They did the same thing with Come Back at Philly II ‘09. At one of the Canadian shows I was at in 2011 they killed Come Back so bad, it got cut from the official bootleg.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam