The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Rate Dissident
5 stars 25%  25%  [ 8 ]
4 stars 44%  44%  [ 14 ]
3 stars 19%  19%  [ 6 ]
2 stars 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
1 star 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 32
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Dissident
PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 1:14 pm 
AnalLog

Kevin Davis wrote:
it has that icky "'80's hangover" sound that was so prevalent in early '90's mainstream rock
That's the word I was looking for. "Mainstream".

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 1:15 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

stip wrote:
it was, and it is really good. But for whatever reason I just can't bring myself to care about it anymore. I do occasionally get reminders about why I did, however.

Same here. I really enjoy it when it's on, and I can point out a bunch of stuff I like about it at the time. But it never gets a mention as one of my favourites in conversation. It just never comes up. Maybe the lyrics don't really engage me; it just seems to be one of those social issue songs that I can't grasp why Ed would've written it. Maybe someone could enlighten me, but it just doesn't feel as necessary as, say, Alive or RVM or even Rats (who I've always taken as metaphor for politicians).

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 1:17 pm 

Interesting the 80's MOR feeling comes up. It's this song, not GTF, that I see as being the biggest blueprint for ATW... even if it was subconscious. ATW was lyrically more like GTF, but musically it was more like this one.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 1:20 pm 
AnalLog

Kevin Davis wrote:
some of those slightly off-color arpeggios of Stone's that count among the most musically engaging features of early Pearl Jam (think "Garden" or "Release")
Also this.
I love it when he does (did) that. "Once", "Alone" had those too -- a gem to listen to.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 1:20 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Lounge Lizard wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
it has that icky "'80's hangover" sound that was so prevalent in early '90's mainstream rock

That mainstream 90s sound didn't really come about until after this was already released. I'm not saying there's anything cutting edge here, but its fair to consider who was creating this sound that eventually became loathsome.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 1:22 pm 
AnalLog

EJ wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

That mainstream 90s sound didn't really come about until after this was already released. I'm not saying there's anything cutting edge here, but its fair to consider who was creating this sound that eventually became loathsome.
I don't know man, it sounded dated already when it came out. Somehow.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 1:27 pm 
tl;dr

EJ wrote:

Maybe I misspoke--I don't think it sounds like mainstream '90's rock; I think it sounds like mainstream '80's rock. I think there was a weird period of transition in the early '90's where a lot of records still possessed, in varying degrees, pungent remnants of that signature '80's production approach, despite the fact that the music was veering further and further into a realm where that production approach was no longer appropriate (not that it was ever really something to celebrate, mind you, but it did fit with the bombastic excess of the decade).

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 1:29 pm 

Kevin Davis wrote:
EJ wrote:

Maybe I misspoke--I don't think it sounds like mainstream '90's rock; I think it sounds like mainstream '80's rock. I think there was a weird period of transition in the early '90's where a lot of records still possessed, in varying degrees, pungent remnants of that signature '80's production approach, despite the fact that the music was veering further and further into a realm where that production approach was no longer appropriate (not that it was ever really something to celebrate, mind you, but it did fit with the bombastic excess of the decade).

I think Ten contained all of this, and Vs. was the album in which they began to shed it, in order to then make Vitalogy.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 1:33 pm 
AnalLog

harmless wrote:
I think Ten contained all of this, and Vs. was the album in which they began to shed it, in order to then make Vitalogy.

I bet they would have produced Ten way differently a year or two later. Wouldn't you say the guitars sound kind of strangled on Once, EvenFlow and Jeremy?

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 1:33 pm 
The worst

once for sure.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 1:35 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Lounge Lizard wrote:
EJ wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

I don't know man, it sounded dated already when it came out. Somehow.

I don't disagree with that. I was more commenting on this being lumped in with that 90s sound. The bandwagoners really started copying this sound about the time Vs was released. I agree, though, I don't think this song would've made the record a year later. But, at the time, it was definitely a bridge between Ten & Vs.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 1:39 pm 

I'm not really sure what 'strangled' means in the context, but overproduced and overly metallic? Yes. But I loved that then. Now I'm not a huge fan, but I still love it for nostalgic reasons. Problem is, although the new Ten Redux made the guitars and everything else a bit closer to the sound of their more current live sound, I don't really like their current live sound much either. So it was interesting to see how that album might sound now, but that's it. I think I only listened to it twice. It strikes me that the songs on Vs. are not vastly different to the songs on Ten. It's just the production that's different really. Vitalogy was almost the album that began to redesign their sound significantly. It was almost the perfect set up for No Code.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 1:42 pm 
AnalLog

harmless wrote:
I'm not really sure what 'strangled' means in the context, but overproduced and overly metallic? Yes. But I loved that then. Now I'm not a huge fan, but I still love it for nostalgic reasons. Problem is, although the new Ten Redux made the guitars and everything else a bit closer to the sound of their more current live sound, I don't really like their current live sound much either. So it was interesting to see how that album might sound now, but that's it. I think I only listened to it twice. It strikes me that the songs on Vs. are not vastly different to the songs on Ten. It's just the production that's different really. Vitalogy was almost the album that began to redesign their sound significantly. It was almost the perfect set up for No Code.
Well you see Vitalogy was a low point for me. I love Vs and Yield, everything else is below these two.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 1:45 pm 

Lounge Lizard wrote:
harmless wrote:
Well you see Vitalogy was a low point for me. I love Vs and Yield, everything else is below these two.

Vitalogy is my favourite PJ album, closely followed by No Code, Riot Act and Yield. I think. It changes. The only ones I think are objectively weaker are the last two.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 1:53 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

I don't know of any other song in their playlist that alternates between my like/don't lists as much.
The vault 3 version is really, really good though.

AnalLog

When I first listened to No Code I was like "OKaaaaaaay... Well, its my favorite band Pearl Jam, alright, I'm supposed to like it, am I not?" :lol:
In My Tree is probably the only song out of it that makes my daily rotation

The worst

Lounge Lizard wrote:
harmless wrote:

I don't understand how that is even possible...

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 2:16 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

This song to me is a poor man's Alive.

It's the sound that every PJ wannabe band seemed to rip-off.

Never been a fan of this one. I uses to loathe it though, now I just don't like it.

Last edited by darth_vedder on Thu August 01, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 2:17 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

I think I need to restate my original point about this song. On the album, Mike's guitar lead sort of makes the song a little grating to my ears, I was never a big fan of it. All you can hear is Mike's screaming guitar and the riff underneath gets flooded out. When listening to the unplugged version, Stone's guitar comes to the forefront and I realized how much I freakin' love it. I'll never hear the song the same again. It's a much prettier song than I realized. Maybe I just like the free-form improv feel.

Btw, I'm just listening to an audio rip of the DVD. I'm pretty sure that part is also on the DVD version that came with the Ten Redux box set?

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 3:39 pm 

I really love the wailing riff from Mike. I also love the more-or-less same thing he did on the studio version of RM.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam