The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Side Tracked

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mother Love Bone Reissues
PostPosted: Tue August 02, 2016 3:59 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Yeah, these boxes might be the only physical format that really sells these days, but still in this case or the Temple Of The Dog one, even in the Mad Season reissue i dont feel it as a cash grab.

Mother Love Bone a cash grab? Its just a way to put the album in a proper way after a long time of being absent.

PostPosted: Tue August 02, 2016 4:05 pm 
tl;dr

It may not be a cash grab. It's guilt by association at this point.

PostPosted: Tue August 02, 2016 4:08 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

You think? Maybe.

I feel its more like taking care of your legacy.

PostPosted: Tue August 02, 2016 4:21 pm 
Production Police

To KD's point, the flaw in his gripe is that all those tracks wind up on the internet within a day of their official release. I've got no problem with the cost of the MLB set; I also have no interest in buying it. For those who want it, great; for those who want the tracks without shelling out $60, you can do that too. My problem with this and the ToD reunion is the ticketing process, and the simple fact that this is a lot of energy spent on recycling old material, rather than coming up with new music.

PostPosted: Tue August 02, 2016 5:28 pm 
AnalLog

VinylGuy wrote:
ey thanks for that link Joostone!!

Im dying to watch that one....

As for the reissue, i think its cool. It seems well curated, and it offers a pretty good insight of the band. i dont get the backlash with a MLB reissue at all.

Yeah, it's really a must watch for all of us. It's really emotional, sometimes it's painfull to watch.

Kevin Davis wrote:
I'm not really interested in Mother Love Bone, so I can't speak to this specific reissue, but in general I think the trend of only making previously unreleased music exclusively available on expensive collector's editions which require buyers to shell for music they already own is gross. This has only gotten worse as the business has become increasingly desperate to turn profit, and Pearl Jam Inc. are right there at the fore of the charge. There are still some releases that get it right (the Wilco and Soundgarden sets from a couple years ago were right on; Dylan's Bootleg Series has historically been pretty solid, though they've dipped into cash-grab territory a couple times), but for the most part I think any cynicism surrounding products like this is well-warranted. It's lucky we got "Lost Dogs" when we did; today, the six legitimate "Binaural" B-sides would have been only available on a 5-disc-plus-detritus reissue that featured the original album, one or two "alternate mixes" of the album, a vinyl pressing of a 2000 show that's already available elsewhere, a DVD of the Rock am Ring show sourced from a YouTube rip, and a pair of wacky goggles designed to resemble the hourglass nebula.

I don't know. I just don't really like the "release every scrap" business model.

Me neither. Ive read somewhere that about 60% of the income nowadays comes from reissues...

PostPosted: Tue August 02, 2016 5:55 pm 
tl;dr

VinylGuy wrote:
You think? Maybe.

I feel its more like taking care of your legacy.

tragabigzanda wrote:
To KD's point, the flaw in his gripe is that all those tracks wind up on the internet within a day of their official release. I've got no problem with the cost of the MLB set; I also have no interest in buying it. For those who want it, great; for those who want the tracks without shelling out $60, you can do that too. My problem with this and the ToD reunion is the ticketing process, and the simple fact that this is a lot of energy spent on recycling old material, rather than coming up with new music.

I don't disagree with any of this, necessarily. I guess I'm just speaking as someone who still prefers legal, physical copies of the music at a reasonable price. From that angle, I find it frustrating that so much of this stuff is only available as add-on material to (usually quite costly) repackaged versions of things I've already bought. It's not such a big deal that I can't make the best of the alternatives; I'm just not a fan of the practice.

PostPosted: Tue August 02, 2016 6:31 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

tragabigzanda wrote:

I don't think there's much energy actually expended here.

PostPosted: Tue August 09, 2016 3:15 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I know enough about the economics of the music industry to think this can't make much money, especially these days. How many copies of these would they expect to sell? I'd have to think any band member would make more playing one show than they would from this, but maybe if it's a cash grab it's for Andy's family or the other MLB members.

I've been spinning Apple, I really like Stardog alot, just great Stone riffing and songwriting - main riff, bridge, outro - all of the hallmarks of a great Stone song is all there. I'd imagine in an alternate universe I would have been okay w/ MLB, but no way I would have loved them. I woulda probably liked Stardog and maybe one or two other tunes and then just went onto the next band. Andy's vocals are not my cup of tea, too reminiscent of other hair band frontmen (although his lyrics seems legit and at a much higher level than any of the LA hair bands), although everything I can see about his stage presence suggests he woulda been a star.

PostPosted: Tue August 09, 2016 4:03 pm 
The Master

I like Gentle Groove

PostPosted: Tue August 09, 2016 4:12 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I was out walking around the other day and a guy walked past me with a Mother Love Bone shirt on. Had to do a triple take because the back said "Half Ass Monkey Boy".

PostPosted: Fri November 04, 2016 5:40 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Got an e-Mail from ten club:
Mother Love Bone: On Earth As It Is available now! This reissue includes works from the pre-cursor rock band to Pearl Jam, Mother Love Bone (Andrew Wood, Jeff Ament, Stone Gossard, Bruce Fairweather and Greg? Gilmore).

Pick up the CD/DVD or LP vinyl set. Limited quantities of both packages are now available in the Shop.

A digital version of the audio from the 3 disc set is also available on iTunes.

PostPosted: Fri November 04, 2016 5:53 pm 
Major Dude

It won't be very hard to do without this.

PostPosted: Fri November 04, 2016 7:35 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

TOTD and MLB rereleases and a TOTD tour at the same time. Previously we had PJ20 and rereleases of the early PJ albums. Feels like this is the last of it. One last recognition and celebration of the past. What comes next?

PostPosted: Fri November 04, 2016 7:45 pm 
Posting (live)

Anders wrote:
TOTD and MLB rereleases and a TOTD tour at the same time. Previously we had PJ20 and rereleases of the early PJ albums. Feels like this is the last of it. One last recognition and celebration of the past. What comes next?

Hopefully they head for the ditch.

PostPosted: Fri November 04, 2016 7:58 pm 
The Master

Something tells me this will not sell well.

PostPosted: Fri November 04, 2016 9:06 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

LetMeSleep wrote:
Anders wrote:

:haha:

PostPosted: Fri November 04, 2016 9:29 pm 
Production Police

LetMeSleep wrote:
Anders wrote:

If this is a Neil Young reference, then yes -- that would be the best thing that could happen.

PostPosted: Fri November 04, 2016 9:30 pm 
Posting (live)

tragabigzanda wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
Anders wrote:

If this is a Neil Young reference, then yes -- that would be the best thing that could happen.

It sure was.

PostPosted: Fri November 04, 2016 9:58 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Yes, looking at it that way (Neil Young) would actually be the right thing to do. I'm tired of the "return to form" & "best since vs" talk that comes every album now. Something truly original and different would be cool.

PostPosted: Fri November 04, 2016 10:20 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

tragabigzanda wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
Anders wrote:

Guys, you know in your hearts that band is long gone.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Side Tracked