The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: PJ TV Performances Compilation (help needed!)
PostPosted: Mon July 24, 2017 12:27 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

This looks very nice. Pearl Jam should sell something like this.

PostPosted: Mon July 24, 2017 1:22 pm 
Future Drummer

Is this the same as what John is b&p-ing?

PostPosted: Mon July 24, 2017 1:24 pm 
Future Drummer

doone wrote:

Yup.

Mighty fine offer by a fine gentleman :nice:

PostPosted: Mon July 24, 2017 1:27 pm 
Future Drummer

ridleybradout wrote:
doone wrote:

Yup.

Mighty fine offer by a fine gentleman :nice:

Thanks and thank you for all you did on this project. Thanks to all involved. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed July 26, 2017 9:01 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Camouflage we expect the audio extraction of this BD as project of this entry? Or indeed is the BD the real project?

It looks so great, best existing material of gens in audio and video. there are real gems as SNL 94

I'm trying to extract audio and convert to flac

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 12:00 am 
Future Drummer

sico_pata wrote:
Camouflage we expect the audio extraction of this BD as project of this entry? Or indeed is the BD the real project?

It looks so great, best existing material of gens in audio and video. there are real gems as SNL 94

No!

The blu-ray and audio project are NOT related!

The audio project will have far better sound.

To be honest, I'm more than a little annoyed about it, and I'm considering shitcanning my involvement with this project altogether. It feels like a waste of time now that the blu-ray (with vastly inferior audio) is out.

And don't ask me why the blu-ray people insisted on doing it this way. It was a big wasted opportunity.

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 1:59 am 
Future Drummer

To clarify to all, the audio on the blu-ray project is the original broadcast audio, and not necessarily the best source audio-wise (in fact much of it is massively brickwalled/digitally clipped).

The makers of the bluray prioritised video-quality and were unfortunately not interested in replacing the audio with WCC's expertly remastered version - a wasted opportunity indeed.

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 10:20 am 
Banned from the Pit

ridleybradout wrote:
To clarify to all, the audio on the blu-ray project is the original broadcast audio, and not necessarily the best source audio-wise (in fact much of it is massively brickwalled/digitally clipped).

The makers of the bluray prioritised video-quality and were unfortunately not interested in replacing the audio with WCC's expertly remastered version - a wasted opportunity indeed.

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
sico_pata wrote:

No!

The blu-ray and audio project are NOT related!

The audio project will have far better sound.

To be honest, I'm more than a little annoyed about it, and I'm considering shitcanning my involvement with this project altogether. It feels like a waste of time now that the blu-ray (with vastly inferior audio) is out.

And don't ask me why the blu-ray people insisted on doing it this way. It was a big wasted opportunity.

:facepalm:

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 3:49 pm 
Banned from the Pit
 WWW  Profile

ridleybradout wrote:

The makers of the bluray prioritized video-quality and were unfortunately not interested in replacing the audio with WCC's expertly remastered version - a wasted opportunity indeed.

Take easy fellas!
Just 3 post down you are stating that superior sources came to light thanks to the BD set!, I don't know why you are referring now that we did use inferior sound with the BD set....all the video material come from Master Tapes and HD files, so you are getting the original sound with the Blu-Ray and not "remasters", believe me I am more than interested to listen to what you are trying to put together with this 3 CD set, also I enjoyed a lot your past compilations... and hope more is coming, but please don't compare the audios of 2 different projects, cause the BD set is a purists work to preserve the original PJ best TV material in A/V, if you want a remaster sound that's the purpose of this CD set, and I repeat myself I am expecting it!!!, but please don't post like I am wasting opportunities cause I don't want to re-encode the original video for a remaster audio made with some of my raw audio files I shared with you.

Thanks for your understanding, and I hope you will all enjoy all the HARD work put together by a team of dedicated PJ collectors with the Blu-Ray set.

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 5:29 pm 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

this is a much better document of the band's growth than pj20.

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 7:10 pm 
Future Drummer

Absolutely no offense intended Antero - what you have put together is a huge service to the PJ community and I know from my DVD authoring days how much work goes into a project like this :thumbsup:

My understanding is that it's possible to edit/replace an audio track without reencoding the video - so I think it's a shame that things like the imbalance between left and right channels on the Singles premiere show (everyone in one louder channel and Mike on his own in the other) couldn't have been fixed. In fact, the brickwalling in some of the earlier performances suggests that some form of tweaking to the original audio appears to have been made at some stage anyway.

The audio project is coming along nicely and was certainly improved by some of the improved sources you uncovered so we are very grateful for that. Stay tuned!

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 8:23 pm 
A Return To Form

I haven't downloaded this yet, but I'm curious: what's meant by "original broadcast audio"?

For example, several of these performances have multiple mixes, such as the SNL performances and the VMAs. With the SNL '92 "Porch" - there's the "original broadcast" version where Ament's bass dies, then the "rebroadcast" version where they edited his bass back in (so that it looks like he Milli Vanilli'ed). Which one got used here? And, if the original was used, how many folks would prefer to listen to the "fixed" version?

In a perfect world, it'd be amazing to have a blu-ray where one could switch between multiple source audio where they exist.

PostPosted: Fri July 28, 2017 12:18 am 
Champion of RM

Is everything contained on the old 6-DVD TV Appearance Set contained on the Blu Ray?

PostPosted: Fri July 28, 2017 12:40 am 
Future Drummer

Antero wrote:
Take easy fellas!
Just 3 post down you are stating that superior sources came to light thanks to the BD set!, I don't know why you are referring now that we did use inferior sound with the BD set....all the video material come from Master Tapes and HD files, so you are getting the original sound with the Blu-Ray and not "remasters", believe me I am more than interested to listen to what you are trying to put together with this 3 CD set, also I enjoyed a lot your past compilations... and hope more is coming, but please don't compare the audios of 2 different projects, cause the BD set is a purists work to preserve the original PJ best TV material in A/V, if you want a remaster sound that's the purpose of this CD set, and I repeat myself I am expecting it!!!, but please don't post like I am wasting opportunities cause I don't want to re-encode the original video for a remaster audio made with some of my raw audio files I shared with you.

If you are going to create a "definitive" collection, shouldn't it have the best video *and* audio possible?

For example, the first track (TOTP "Alive") sounds very poor on the blu-ray, but like an official release on boot CD's. Why couldn't you have replaced the soundtrack with the superior audio?

And nobody is talking about "remastering", but simply replacing inferior audio with superior audio. How is that a bad thing?

It makes me mad that people are equating the blu-ray with the audio release when they are totally unrelated, and they didn't have to be. This is going to be a big headache, constantly explaining to people that the projects are unrelated.

I'm just disappointed, that's all. It didn't have to be so complicated. We could have coordinated to make this one big project.

PostPosted: Fri July 28, 2017 2:35 am 
Banned from the Pit
 WWW  Profile

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
Antero wrote:
Take easy fellas!

If you are going to create a "definitive" collection, shouldn't it have the best video *and* audio possible?

For example, the first track (TOTP "Alive") sounds very poor on the blu-ray, but like an official release on boot CD's. Why couldn't you have replaced the soundtrack with the superior audio?

And nobody is talking about "remastering", but simply replacing inferior audio with superior audio. How is that a bad thing?

It makes me mad that people are equating the blu-ray with the audio release when they are totally unrelated, and they didn't have to be. This is going to be a big headache, constantly explaining to people that the projects are unrelated.

I'm just disappointed, that's all. It didn't have to be so complicated. We could have coordinated to make this one big project.

Are you disappointed? my bad! but I don't think I'm your employee...and also I don't feel I was oblige to share this private project with you... I think the point you are missing is that this is a VIDEO project! We concentrated mostly on the quality of the video. People want to SEE the best quality VIDEO. By mixing in an alternate audio source we would have possibly compromised the video quality by having to re-encode again. If people want audio can listen to your mastered version. This project was to bring the best possible VIDEO. This is my last intervention to this unrelated CD project I wish the best in behalf of the PJ fans. Also people you should note that ungrateful attitude like this really pissed off a lot of people behind great material and is the only reason why a lot of video in being hoarded to the masses. Always be grateful!

PostPosted: Fri July 28, 2017 3:39 am 
Future Drummer

I think everyone needs to calm down a bit!

It's not surprising that a 'video' guy and an 'audio' guy will have differing opinions on what should be prioritised in projects, and as long as the reasons for having these opinions are explained (which I believe they have been here in a mostly respectful manner), then the creator of a project should be respected for their work in whatever form it takes.

These projects take a huge amount of time, love, blood, sweat and tears, so the last thing anyone wants is to feel unappreciated.

Both Antero and Wendy have given so much to the PJ community over the years - and at the end of the day it's just shear coincidence that the bluray and audio projects happened to come together around the same time, which was definitely a good thing.

The audio project has definitely benefited from some of the new sources brought forward by the bluray project, and the bluray project has been improved by some of the tips and suggested edits that I have made along the way after Antero invited me to do the artwork.

:peace:

PostPosted: Fri July 28, 2017 4:43 am 
Future Drummer

Antero wrote:
Are you disappointed? my bad! but I don't think I'm your employee...and also I don't feel I was oblige to share this private project with you... I think the point you are missing is that this is a VIDEO project! We concentrated mostly on the quality of the video. People want to SEE the best quality VIDEO. By mixing in an alternate audio source we would have possibly compromised the video quality by having to re-encode again. If people want audio can listen to your mastered version. This project was to bring the best possible VIDEO. This is my last intervention to this unrelated CD project I wish the best in behalf of the PJ fans. Also people you should note that ungrateful attitude like this really pissed off a lot of people behind great material and is the only reason why a lot of video in being hoarded to the masses. Always be grateful!

If I was your employee, it would have been done right.

And I don't see how it's "ungrateful" to be disappointed that the audio sucks on much of the material, especially since you had the chance to correct this but chose not to. You don't have to "re-encode" the video in order to replace the soundtrack. You should know this.

But if you're more interested in looking at them than hearing the music, more power to you.

PostPosted: Thu August 31, 2017 8:41 am 
Banned from the Pit

Assuming that work is progressing with this project - how pissed were you when Ed popped up in Twin Peaks this week?

PostPosted: Sat September 02, 2017 2:00 pm 
Banned from the Pit

And what about this performance?

https://youtu.be/f_hX5jNzd_Y

Ed and Neil Finn 2014

PostPosted: Sat September 02, 2017 2:27 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Old mans land- Dress shirt
I'd almost respect a man of his talent if he was straight up. The last 15 years should be scrubbed. It's so disappointing. He's more interested in getting his arse kissed.

Last edited by Jeez on Mon September 04, 2017 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam