The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: PJ TV Performances Compilation (help needed!)
PostPosted: Fri June 17, 2016 1:56 am 
Future Drummer

cundall23 wrote:
ridleybradout wrote:
We've already got 'Against' and 'No Fucking Messiah', but would be great to hear Jeremy from "Unplugged...and a little plugged" and the "Jeremy Live" versions of Animal/RITFW (unless they really are identical to the tracks on the 'Against' boot).

:thumbsup:

Where would you like them sent?

Yes please :)

cundall23 wrote:
Also. I listened to the audio from the SNL VHS rip and to me it sounds identical to the No Fucking Messiah boot so it's probably not worth sending.

Fair enough.

Would definitely like your source for I Am Mine/Save You though :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri June 17, 2016 2:03 am 
Banned from the Pit

ridleybradout wrote:
cundall23 wrote:
ridleybradout wrote:
We've already got 'Against' and 'No Fucking Messiah', but would be great to hear Jeremy from "Unplugged...and a little plugged" and the "Jeremy Live" versions of Animal/RITFW (unless they really are identical to the tracks on the 'Against' boot).

:thumbsup:

Where would you like them sent?

Yes please :)

cundall23 wrote:
Also. I listened to the audio from the SNL VHS rip and to me it sounds identical to the No Fucking Messiah boot so it's probably not worth sending.

Fair enough.

Would definitely like your source for I Am Mine/Save You though :thumbsup:

I'm uploading these to my Google Drive now and will send you a PM with a link to a shared folder.

PostPosted: Sat June 18, 2016 12:19 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

God Bless Spenno and Ridley. Not only do they create great boots, they start good threads like this.

And dear goodness, I would love to hear a solid version of animal, jeremy, rockin' from those early mtv appearances. :bammer: :bammer:

PostPosted: Sat June 18, 2016 12:22 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

I've got those MTV performances on some boots. I'll check them out and get some files to you Brad.

PostPosted: Sat June 18, 2016 6:46 pm 
Future Drummer

Here are my findings so far:

"1992 Broadcasts", "Jeremy Live" and "Free World" are lossy garbage.

"Unplugged & A Little Plugged" has an excellent copy of the VMA "Jeremy".

"Against" has excellent copies of the Singles Party and '93 VMA's, but Eddie's speech at the beginning of SOLAT is truncated.

"Covering 'Em" has a different excellent source for the '93 VMA's. It is slightly duller and the channels are reversed. It will have to be closely compared to "Against". I would imagine that both of these sources (and all of the sources I have auditioned so far) are the from the original live broadcast, because the mix is a shit-show until about 20 seconds in. It might be worthwhile seeking out a re-broadcast (from a DVD of the complete show perhaps?) which almost certainly will have a better mix.

The Singles Party DVD has the most bizarre stereo soundtrack I have ever heard, with everything mixed into the right channel but Mike's guitar in the center. I have no idea WTF is going on there. It's nothing like normal mix on "Against". However, SOLAT has the complete intro here.

The "minidisc" source for "Wishlist" is hilariously awful, and couldn't possibly have been recorded as the seeder describes it (with a minidisc connected to a TV). It was actually recorded with one microphone in the room while his TV blasts the performance. Complete garbage.

The "D8" source for the 2003 Letterman is quite good.

The JWB recording of the Conan "Got Some" seems to be the best around, but there is a buzz running through it that will have to be removed, and the levels during the opening banter are ridiculously loud and will have to be adjusted.

PostPosted: Sat June 18, 2016 9:00 pm 
Poster of the Year

I wonder what happened to the recording I made of the Conan Got Some because it was pretty good.

PostPosted: Sun June 19, 2016 10:14 am 
Future Drummer

Thanks for the update WCT :thumbsup:

Any word on the most usable source for SNL 1994 yet?

LetMeSleep wrote:
I've got those MTV performances on some boots. I'll check them out and get some files to you Brad.

Thanks mate - the more sources the better :nice:

PostPosted: Tue June 21, 2016 1:07 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Apparently Pono Music is selling a bootleg called "Transmission Impossible" that includes the '92 SNL songs, the Singles party, and Jeremy from the VMAs. All lossless, but no real info on sourcing: https://www.ponomusic.com/album/pearl-j ... 34cd701d66

PostPosted: Tue June 21, 2016 11:19 pm 
Future Drummer

Simple Torture wrote:
Apparently Pono Music is selling a bootleg called "Transmission Impossible" that includes the '92 SNL songs, the Singles party, and Jeremy from the VMAs. All lossless, but no real info on sourcing: https://www.ponomusic.com/album/pearl-j ... 34cd701d66

Thanks for that - can't believe Pono is selling dodgy bootlegs :shake:

Just took a listen and the SNL songs, they sound quite good :thumbsup:

The others are the same crappy versions from the '1992 Broadcasts' boot :(

PostPosted: Wed June 22, 2016 4:31 am 
Future Drummer

I think we've got SNL covered now.

PostPosted: Wed June 22, 2016 1:45 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

ridleybradout wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

It's pretty hilarious, I think, that the Pono store is selling bootleg "high quality" copies of songs that are probably sourced from 3rd-4th generation VHS tapes. But please, Neil, tell us why you took all your music off Spotify.

PostPosted: Wed June 22, 2016 3:14 pm 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:
ridleybradout wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

It's pretty hilarious, I think, that the Pono store is selling bootleg "high quality" copies of songs that are probably sourced from 3rd-4th generation VHS tapes. But please, Neil, tell us why you took all your music off Spotify.

FWIW, I listened to Neil on Maron yesterday, and he said that what he's trying to do with Pono is present the audio without any sort of proprietary encoding. It's a new spin from him, right? I thought that before he was selling Pono as having the best fidelity; now it sounds like he's trying to pitch a more political angle.

PostPosted: Wed June 22, 2016 10:21 pm 
AnalLog

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
I think we've got SNL covered now.

Hopefully you have a better source than what's currently floating around the community for the 1994 performance. That sounds like a bad TV rip, and it's always pissed me off.

I have most of these, but it seems like most of your sources have already been filled. I'll zip you guys a file anyway and let you figure it out.

Two notes:
* Both "I Am Mine" and "Save You" from the 2002 Letterman show were recorded on the same day, and should be listed as such. I watched them on live TV and taped them, but my tapes are lost (and my VCR was crap). But they're clearly from the same day.
* As per WCT's question about the Singles party, it's a strange mix because the band sounded like complete crap and Ed was super drunk and swore every other word. There's a ton of dubbing going on, and was necessitated just to get it to air.

PostPosted: Wed June 22, 2016 10:54 pm 
AnalLog

Here's a handful of these performances for anybody who wants / needs them.

PostPosted: Wed June 22, 2016 11:13 pm 
Future Drummer

matt reeder wrote:
* As per WCT's question about the Singles party, it's a strange mix because the band sounded like complete crap and Ed was super drunk and swore every other word. There's a ton of dubbing going on, and was necessitated just to get it to air.

That might be true, but I don't think that has anything to do with everything being in the right channel and Mike being in the center, and nothing at all to the left. And as I said, the other source has a perfectly normal stereo mix.

PostPosted: Wed June 22, 2016 11:16 pm 
AnalLog

matt reeder wrote:

That might be true, but I don't think that has anything to do with everything being in the right channel and Mike being in the center, and nothing at all to the left. And as I said, the other source has a perfectly normal stereo mix.

Interesting. That, I did not know.

PostPosted: Wed June 22, 2016 11:20 pm 
Future Drummer

matt reeder wrote:
matt reeder wrote:

Interesting. That, I did not know.

I don't really know what to make of it. It's the strangest thing I've ever heard. Is it a faulty downmix? Is it some kind of weird channel manipulation? A disastrous rough mix? Who knows. The good thing is that we have the other source as well.

PostPosted: Wed June 22, 2016 11:23 pm 
Future Drummer

matt reeder wrote:
Here's a handful of these performances for anybody who wants / needs them.

Thanks Matt!

We have most of those but the 2004 Letterman performance is an improvement over the version we had - cheers! :nice:

Any chance you could upload the 2004-10-11 VFC set mentioned in the txt file? While not for this collection looks like it could be an improvement on the version of that I have. I freakin :heartbeat: that version of Begin the Begin:

PostPosted: Wed June 22, 2016 11:24 pm 
The Master

matt reeder wrote:
Ed was super drunk and swore every other word.

Ed's a time traveler! 2016 Ed bought a Delorean and went back to the Singles party to see what it felt like playing with his younger bandmates.

PostPosted: Wed June 22, 2016 11:25 pm 
AnalLog

I will as soon as I can. I also have an actual digital source for the 1992 UK performance but it's from a DVD; do you need that, too? It's as good as it gets, I think.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam